• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

System lockup on closing OR Reset necessary Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:24 PM

Been having a problem with OR lately on closing the program. When I hit the ESC key the screen locks and sometimes by hitting "Control-Alt-Delete" I'm able to recover but not always. Sometimes a system reset is necessary. Attached is the log file.

I had been over clocking the system, but not today. I'm just running normal thinking that might have been the cause. Guess not.

Attached File  OpenRailsLog.txt (31.33K)
Number of downloads: 230

Thanks for your time.

Allen

#2 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:40 PM

Hi Allen, has this problem cropped up with the same version number that was previously running okay?

Cheers Bazza

#3 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:23 PM

Capt.

Well! You know. I haven't been using this new one very much while working on the Berkshire for Walter. The project pretty much has taken up all my free time. The one I'm using is the 6.2 version and I don't remember when the last time it was used previously. Probably late last spring. End of June or early July to me. And I don't remember if it caused problems then or not.

Sorry I can't give you better information than this. If I knew what I was looking at in the log, I could figure out if it is model related or system problems. This operating system setup is getting pretty long in the tooth but I hate to change in the middle of the project. If the project wasn't involved I would just format the drive and reload. That usually solves most Windows problems.

Allen

#4 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:56 AM

This is an issue we found internally and have fixed for the next release, FWIW.

#5 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:52 AM

I'll take a stab at this....but it may not be the answer or complete answer.

Eldorado

Eldorado

Here are my system specs.

Custom box

Windows XP Pro Commercial SP3
ASUS M4A78PRO Mother board
DDR 1200 memory 4 gig-----Only 3 gig recognised by XP
AM2+ Dual Core Black Box 2.7 gig CPU w/huge multi-fin 120mm air cooler
Nvidia 9800 GT w/512 of DDR 2000 Memory
ASUS "Q" overclocking system (very mild overclocking w/adequate cooling)
250 gig Seagate serial ATA hard drive X 2
Samsung DVD/RW drive

Thank you for the KEY information. I "WILL" be trying this the next time I have a problem. Is better to know than not to know.

Open Rails is a much better program for model makers as it is much more forgiving than the old MSTS. But obviously care must still be taken to not overload it.

Capt.

Thanks for your help.

James

Thank you for the information. I feel much better now knowing that it may not be my new model that's causing the glitch.

One thing I did notice was that the Video stopped but the sound continued on just as if nothing were wrong.

Allen :thumbdown3:

#6 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:17 AM

View PostB & O GUY, on 06 November 2011 - 06:52 AM, said:

One thing I did notice was that the Video stopped but the sound continued on just as if nothing were wrong.
Allen

This is an issue of properly killing threads that James referred to.

#7 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:49 PM

Eldorado

The Nvidia 9800 GT Is a PCI express card. Albeit 3 years old. But still a good card. Actually I don't have a problem with running OR so much as shutting it down. But alas! No problems today for some reason.

The Berkshire came in at a reasonable 45,000 with a 5,000 FA and a 18,000 poly tender. The caboose will follow and will be somewhere in the 21,000 area.

My thoughts on big polly models versus low polly painted beauties are. If the builder tells you in advance that his model has a high poly count and needs a good machine to run it. You the user have a choice. Do I want to run the low poly models and do the things I like to do like running activities. Or do I want to run a high poly locomotive and a fancy high polly consist and enjoy the views outside watching the valve gears and rods and diferent stances of the models. People have a choice. What's to complain about? Everybody can do their own thing and be happy.

I probably don't look at simming the same way as others. I very seldom if ever run any activities. It's not my thing. I like a nice locomotive with some of Tim Muirs fancy box cars and reafers along with a nice caboose if I can find one. Simming is nothing more to me than a show case for mine and others fine models. I take or try to take interesting screen shots while running them. I also love beautiful scenery and interesting routes. The fast paced activities and running schedules are for the younger at heart. I didn't come from a railroad background. I just love watching trains and have since a youngster.

When I'm not using my PC it gets shut down. I'm not leaving it unattended and for my grand kids to mess with. Besides. The day's of little power supplies and failures at startup are gone. This ones been shut down 4 times today and booted 5 times. When I go to bed tonight, so will the box. This one has a 650 watt and the big box has a 750 watt power supply. If you keep them clean and cool they'll last a long time.

Thanks for your help.

Allen

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users