Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wheelslip problem? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   lidle 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Inactive

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:51 PM

Just recently, a problem has arose, which causes unstopable wheelslip. No matter how much sand is applied, the train bounces back and forth, or won't go above 30 mph, depending on the size of the train. I have tried different consists too. I've including the Open Rails Log to help you help me. Thanks a bunch!!

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:25 PM

What's your FPS when running the activity? I noticed that you're running donner pass. Is it winter/snow for the season?

#3 User is offline   lidle 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Inactive

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:07 PM

I'm running 10-20 FPS with Dynamic shadows. I do have a very very low end graphics card. The route I'm running are Horseshoe, Donner, and Canton, with BLW/ZT, SLI, 3DTrainstuff, and freeware stock. Seasons are, Autumn, Spring, and Summer.

#4 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 04 October 2011 - 04:32 AM

View Postlidle, on 03 October 2011 - 07:07 PM, said:

I'm running 10-20 FPS with Dynamic shadows. I do have a very very low end graphics card. The route I'm running are Horseshoe, Donner, and Canton, with BLW/ZT, SLI, 3DTrainstuff, and freeware stock. Seasons are, Autumn, Spring, and Summer.

We know about a problem, which you are experiencing, with slipping physics calculations and lower FPS rates. Don't want to bore you with the technical details, but it's been fixed in the current development build. My only suggestion for the short term is to turn off Dynamic Shadows, which should raise your framerates. Higher framerates will reduce the "run away" slipping effect.

#5 User is offline   Matej Pacha 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:24 AM

I can say that in the last release version it is very important to reach 20 FPS at least. Any lag when FPS goes under 5 (even temporarily) kills the adhesion model. This can be a locomotive model dependent issue so if you have a specific locomotive having this problem, please let us know. We are solving this problem. Anyway, in the next public release you will have an option to disable the advanced adhesion model by Antislip() parameter in the ENG file.

Please ensure that you play with throttle very gently, smoothly and carefuly. You should not apply full throttle - this is the worst you can do. If you stop the train the wheelslip resets and you can take another try.

You can watch the HUD Forces display (press F5 several times until you see Forces display). Look for the WheelSlip in % (rate of change in %/s) - if the rate of change is higher than +- 200%/s you may change the weather (Alt+P) and it should fall into the range of +-50% what is OK.

If you still experience problems please wait for the next public release.

#6 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:16 AM

Matej, one of the steam locomotives I'm testing seem to be very slippery (30%) and another hardly at all (2%). Both have 4 axles of driving wheels and my comparison is being done at th4e same speed, same track. What locomotive features (.eng file) are most important in explaining the differences here in wheel slip?

#7 User is offline   Matej Pacha 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:34 AM

The only thing that affects the adhesion is MassKg - the weight of the locomotive. You can compare these two locomotives by weight.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users