Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The case of the two dopplers and one is missing..... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:14 PM

ORs sound system has been updated. Updated to the point that it actually works very well. All of those engine sounds that I spent countless hours with under headphones and an editor program come out pretty nice on my humble 2.1 sound system. So thank you very much for that change!

There are a couple things that I have noticed that perhaps can be looked into for the next public release, if they haven't already showed up on the "to do" list at OR central.

1) If the camera is stationary and the consist is passing in front of it the doppler shift applied works as expected. Namely higher pitch on approach followed by a lower pitch as it recedes. What does not work at the moment is the scenario where the camera is moving and the sound source is stationary. Examples of this are level crossings. The clanging bell should have a pitch shift as you approach and move past it. That does not happen at the moment. I assume that if is there is a "meet", (on separate tracks I hope!) the AI trains doppler shift would behave in the same manner as when the camera is stationary, however the effect should be less subtle because in reality both camera and sound sources are moving.

2) Completely unrelated to the doppler shift is the attenuation with distance, at least using the current MSTS SMS files. There is a rather abrupt cutoff as the sound source moves into the distance that is unnatural to my ears. There is of course attenuation with distance that is audible, but the engine should be audible right till the end as it fades into the background noise. If anything it would be nice if there was some digital filtering of the high frequencies (low pass) as the consist moves away from the camera (Don't know if OAL can do this in realtime without killing your CPU). I have not tried increasing the sound range to 2000 meters in the SMS file to see if the abruptness is reduced. I have not destroyed my hearing with an iPod yet so I hope you can trust me with what I am relating to you here!

thanks for allowing OR to "speak to me" a whole lot better than before,

Eldorado

#2 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:39 AM

View PostEldorado.Railroad, on 07 August 2011 - 04:14 PM, said:

2) Completely unrelated to the doppler shift is the attenuation with distance, at least using the current MSTS SMS files. There is a rather abrupt cutoff as the sound source moves into the distance that is unnatural to my ears. There is of course attenuation with distance that is audible, but the engine should be audible right till the end as it fades into the background noise. If anything it would be nice if there was some digital filtering of the high frequencies (low pass) as the consist moves away from the camera (Don't know if OAL can do this in realtime without killing your CPU). I have not tried increasing the sound range to 2000 meters in the SMS file to see if the abruptness is reduced. I have not destroyed my hearing with an iPod yet so I hope you can trust me with what I am relating to you here!

Since I was not explicit in the first post, I should indicate that the problem seen in scenario #2 is noticed readily with camera #8. It seems that the attenuation with distance is optimized for camera #4. Since the user has no control over how long the #4 camera lingers the abrupt cutoff is not apparent.

I hope the lack of response to the whole doppler issue is not an indication of an overly complicated explanation of the problem that was "heard",

Eldorado

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users