Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Coupling and uncoupling cars, what a mess! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:28 PM

I have known about this problem for some months now, but I have not seen any posts (anywhere) with this issue in it. So either nobody does any switching or there is a secret underground railway for bug fixes. Either way it would be nice to know if somebody else has noticed this or that it has been fixed in a non-public release.

Simply put, uncoupling cars is messy if the #3 camera is not placed at the back of the car/engine which is leaving behind the car you just uncoupled from. I don't know how many times I have forgotten to do this and my #3 camera is stuck looking at the departed consist...forever. The only way to get control back is to re-couple everything the way it was and change the focus of the #3 key to where you would like it to be after you uncouple. Has this been fixed?

While on this subject, if you uncouple from a multi-engine consist the first engine you left behind has its lights on and engine(s) still running. Is this not a bug?

There has been at least one scenario that I also lose the rear brakeman view after uncoupling. Is this not another bug?

Thank you for your patience and time devoted to this matter.

Eldorado

#2 User is online   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:38 PM

Yeah, there have been some issues about couplers and cameras... I've reported one myself, so you're not experiencing something that's unknown. Offhand I don't recall hearing if it has been fixed or not.

#3 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:06 PM

View PostEldorado.Railroad, on 26 June 2011 - 01:28 PM, said:

While on this subject, if you uncouple from a multi-engine consist the first engine you left behind has its lights on and engine(s) still running. Is this not a bug?

Thank you for your patience and time devoted to this matter.

Eldorado

No, this is the programmed behavior. AIl AI trains appear to have their engines running and headlights as per the lighting file.

The other stuff are bugs and have been reported.

#4 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:13 PM

View Postlongiron, on 26 June 2011 - 02:06 PM, said:

No, this is the programmed behavior. AIl AI trains appear to have their engines running and headlights as per the lighting file.

What was the idea behind "demoting" all previously coupled engines in a players consist to AI status? I can only speculate that at some future time clicking on the "demoted" engine and telling it "run" it will cause it to do so "by itself"? That would be pretty nifty.

Eldorado

#5 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:58 PM

Simply put, uncoupling cars is messy if the #3 camera is not placed at the back of the car/engine which is leaving behind the car you just uncoupled from. I don't know how many times I have forgotten to do this and my #3 camera is stuck looking at the departed consist...forever. The only way to get control back is to re-couple everything the way it was and change the focus of the #3 key to where you would like it to be after you uncouple. Has this been fixed?

Yes. In current dev versions, you stay on the uncoupled car until you press #3 again or otherwise try to switch view; this is because the cameras aren't informed of the event (which will be fixed at some point) but you're no longer stranded.

Not sure what should really happen with the engine (or if it should become a normal AI train) but the lights should behave as an AI train - which means they're on/off based entirely on the conditions in the data files. We may revise this behaviour.

There has been at least one scenario that I also lose the rear brakeman view after uncoupling. Is this not another bug?

This behaves the same as #3 described above in current dev versions (for the same reasons). I can't find a way to "lose" it.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users