• You cannot reply to this topic

OR Steam locomotive physics are much improved on MSTS Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:23 PM

I know it is still very early days in the ongoing development of the physics for steam in OR, but already the changes are exciting. They are a great credit to all those who have put much time and effort into this important aspect of the sim.

Although my testing has been limited lately, to the M&U Mogul, on the flattish default NEC route, the train handling is a treat @ V739...and will be better when I practice my braking skills, which are sadly lacking behind.

All in all, thank you team, it's worth all the effort I'm putting into modeling for OR.

On a sober note, I'm a bit concerned we've not heard from Anthony B, lately, because Christchurch has taken further hammer blows from yet another series of larger quakes, plus all the thousands of minor quakes that have hit the dear old town since September last year. I hope he and his are all okay.

Cheers Bazza

#2 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:49 PM

Attached Image: MU5-mixed-in-sim5.jpg

As an illustration, this screenshot shows #5 with a consist of four* of Huecuvoe's USRA 55 ton hoppers and Paul Charland's steel combine; making this a 'mixed' local.

During the test run the locomotive was working away very nicely under the above physics, with no breaking away the sense of control was spot on.

I had no problem, on this section of the default NEC, with NO* stuttering and the FPS were excellent on my quad-core systemw /512mb videocard.

My next test will be on the grades of the default S&C, which will require a light touch on the Johnson bar and the brakes.

I hope those of you who download the locomotive and try it will give me some feedback and for the physics team, too.

Cheers Bazza

*Edited

#3 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:50 PM

Correction! Four hoppers!! ;)

#4 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 18 June 2011 - 07:02 PM

View Postcaptain_bazza, on 18 June 2011 - 05:23 PM, said:

On a sober note, I'm a bit concerned we've not heard from Anthony B, lately, because Christchurch has taken further hammer blows from yet another series of larger quakes, plus all the thousands of minor quakes that have hit the dear old town since September last year. I hope he and his are all okay.

Cheers Bazza

Barry,
Anthony has spent the last month visiting his family in the UK. I don't know what he will return to. When he returns to NZ next week, Anthony was supposed to begin working with some steam gurus with whom I've hooked him up. In due time, the steam physics will continue to evolve for the better.

#5 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:02 PM

That's good news for us, but maybe not for Anthony, because in some areas the additional quake damage has compounded old damage in certain areas of the city.

Fingers crossed for him.

Thanks, cheers,
Bazza.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users