Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:49 PM

?

#2 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:13 PM

View PostEldorado.Railroad, on 16 June 2011 - 08:49 PM, said:

Do you think the key actions can be changed here in the next release? Ultimately, it should be less of a headache if the code allowed for key bindings to be read from a text file that the user could modify. This method is not without precedent in other games/sims.

It's always a little strange to me how two people can decide different things are the most logical - the current arrangement is completely logical to me and I was careful to make it as consistent as possible. If I press left, the camera moves left in virtual space; if I press alt-left, it rotates left around the axis; if I press up, the camera moves up in virtual space; if I press alt-up, it rotates up around the axis. It all makes complete sense to me, but many games do have Y axis inversion options... ;)

It is "in the plan" to support user customisation of the keys, but I've held back on doing it so far so that I can gather as much feedback about the defaults as possible. If you just let people edit their way out of a problem, they're less likely to say anything and we'll keep lumbering others with the bad defaults.

View PostEldorado.Railroad, on 16 June 2011 - 08:49 PM, said:

Whilst on the subject, and I think I am not alone on this, it would be really helpful to have a camera reset for views #2 and #3.

Yeah, it would - it could also apply to the passenger, head-out and brakeman views. Any suggestions on key, though? We're using pretty much everything to do with Control/Shift/Alt and Up/Down/Left/Right/Home/End/Page Up/Page Down already.

#3 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:52 AM

If you have MSTSbin installed and a mouse, you shouldn't have to use Alt+arrow keys at all. I just go with a 'headout' view, RIGHT click and hold my mouse and move left to right, and/or up and down. Same with number 5 view. The only time I use Alt+arrow keys is to jump up or down the consist in 2, 3, and 4 views. 4 view's nice in that I can jump say half way down the consist and get better pass by shots.

Try the mouse, it should give you the view control you're after.

Oops, just realised this is in the OR section. So maybe not? But give it a shot anyways. ;)

#4 User is offline   dantheman 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:23 AM

In msts, the 8 key was the reset view key. Maybe "alt+0" ?

#5 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:53 AM

View PostNoisemaker, on 17 June 2011 - 08:52 AM, said:

If you have MSTSbin installed and a mouse, you shouldn't have to use Alt+arrow keys at all.

In OR, holding the right mouse button gives you rotational control (same as alt+arrow keys). ;)

#6 User is offline   Noisemaker 

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:56 AM

You beat e to it James. After I posted, I fired up MSTS and realised my mistake, and ran back here to fix imy post. :sign_thanks:

So it works the same still in OR, that's good to know. ;)

#7 User is offline   Noisemaker 

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:48 PM

Good points Eldorado. But I and others have been trying to get more use out of the 'V' key for extra audio on engines and such. I imagine one of these days I may look at 'C' as well. Bugging James and others for better acceptance of WAV marker points with OR, and if it can be acheived, I think all audio keys will be revisted by many.

At best, and if possible - I'd suggest 'R' for reset, or 'U' for undo. Well away from the hot keys and triggers then.

#8 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:51 PM

My personal feeling is that cameras should not use the lettered/main area of the keyboard - keep that for train control.

The NUM5 idea is good, though ideally I'd like to also have a non-numpad key for those of us who don't use it (or where it's really hard to use, like many laptops).

#9 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:08 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 17 June 2011 - 11:51 PM, said:

My personal feeling is that cameras should not use the lettered/main area of the keyboard - keep that for train control.

Agree with that general premise

View PostJames Ross, on 17 June 2011 - 11:51 PM, said:

The NUM5 idea is good, though ideally I'd like to also have a non-numpad key for those of us who don't use it (or where it's really hard to use, like many laptops).

The re-set camera is a good idea. We haven't heard the community clamour for this ... which I interpret as, camera reset is not a frequently used function. So, mapping to a numpad key would be acceptable in my mind.

#10 User is offline   Noisemaker 

Posted 18 June 2011 - 07:39 AM

I agree as well. I'm on a lappy myself. And as long as OR retains the MSTS/Bin type functions, I'm pretty happy with it. I suppose if one's a 'shutter bug', resets could be a new way to get pristine shots one after another. I'm certainly no good with taking shots on MSTS, but there are many who are. So could be a valuable aset to those still.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users