• You cannot reply to this topic

New to contributing code Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:36 AM

Hi, today I (proudly) committed my first contribution to the Open Rails code. I signed up a while back, but was invited recently to try out.

It's a long time since anyone paid me to write programs, so it's good to keep my hand in and help out. It's a large system, but I was offered a fairly straightforward task and also a "mentor" to advise and encourage me (thanks, Jijun). I'm new to the SVN source code control and was pleased to find how easy that part was.

Now I'm hooked; I wonder what I'll be doing next ...

#2 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:39 AM

Sounds like you know your stuff. ;) My big hope for OR is a more broader acceptance of audio standards (red book, blue book markers, loop points, CD track/splice points, etc.) Or even a better recognition of 'named cue points' . I'm not into programming per se, but am fairly up on sampling and doing 'glitch music'. I understand the best way to play the MSTS horns and whistles is to have a fair amount of cue points in the WAV.. But the problem then is, it throws off or ignores a looped area further down. So if somehow code could be written or modified to allow for red book loop points AND cue points. Or simply make strigent cue names '1' and '2' to be the focused loop area, and all other cue points before hand (named Start, or 3 and 4) trigger points.to activate the horn and lessen duration.

Just irks me that Kuju did a wonderful job in one way for the audio, although fairly complex. But then something so commonly used like horns, they kinda skimped on. Diesel horns are relatively easy, and I guess that's the majority in use by MSTS today. But steam whistles are certainly a bugger. Unless one get's a pristine long recording of one, and simply forgoes looping it. But then that can eat up HD space after awhile. Just wish the horns could be more realistically 'playable'. Or to me, there should be a hack or addition to the code to do so. So hopefully that maybe one of you upcoming jobs. :pleasantry:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users