Elvas Tower: Crashes Monitor - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Crashes Monitor Rate Topic: -----

#1 Inactive_SurlyKnuckle_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:19 PM

Have a problem when running Open Rails, where my computer monitor will shut down with the "VGA No Signal" message, which will not allow any kind of reset besides unplugging the computer. Did an internet search, but some of the sollutions like loose monitor cable, or computer over-heating are not the answer. This only happens in Open Rails. Was wondering if anybody else had this problem or had a sollution. Thanks.

#2 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:21 PM

Please provide further information re your computer setup, thanks.

Bazza

#3 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:30 PM

Its not the monitor that is shutting down, the computer is shutting down.

Can you provide some computer specs please?

We have quite a lot of members running OR without issue, so it points to a problem with your operating system.

Cheers
Derek

#4 User is offline   farrmp 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails/MSTS

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:58 PM

I have an nVidia 9800 GT Graphics Card. When running ORTS I have to run the cards fan up to 85-95% to keep the GPU Temperature under 80 C.
If the GPU goes above that the Graphic Card quits and the monitor goes to NO SIGNAL. Sound familiar? You just can't keep your CPU or GPU too
cool if you want them to last! A really useful Utility for monitoring your computer and graphics card is HWMonitor by CPUID
( http://www.cpuid.com/softwares.html ). HWMonitor reports Temperatures, Fan Speeds, and Voltages for just about everything in your computer.
It is Free. A Pro Version is available for about 20 Euros.
Hope this helps. . .

Paul

#5 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:50 AM

Hi Paul,

You have missed some points:-

1. he can't get OR to run, therefore the video card does not heat up,
2. He has to pull out the power plug to get it going again, an indication the the computer is dead.

Cheers
Derek

#6 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:12 AM

I have an nVidia 9800 GT Graphics Card. When running ORTS I have to run the cards fan up to 85-95% to keep the GPU Temperature under 80 C.
If the GPU goes above that the Graphic Card quits and the monitor goes to NO SIGNAL. Sound familiar? You just can't keep your CPU or GPU too
cool if you want them to last! A really useful Utility for monitoring your computer and graphics card is HWMonitor by CPUID
( http://www.cpuid.com/softwares.html ). HWMonitor reports Temperatures, Fan Speeds, and Voltages for just about everything in your computer.
It is Free. A Pro Version is available for about 20 Euros.
Hope this helps. . .

Paul

If you'd run your Nvidia 9800 at a lower setting than turbo mode the GPU shouldn't heat up all that significantly. I run my 9800 at the lowest settings and still get excellent performance in OR. I think mine is set to "Race car". Also make sure the heat sink is not packed full of dust. Dust degrades air flow which will lead to premature GPU failure. You can lower the settings with the Q-button feature if your particular brand offered that.

Allen

#7 Inactive_Sniper297_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:40 PM

IIRC one major difference between Open Rails and MSTS is the graphics in MSTS use the CPU (Central Processing Unit, the gizmo that actually makes it a computer) and Open Rails does what more modern games do, send the graphics stuff to the GPU (Graphical Processing Unit, the brains of the video card) for processing. Since Open Rails puts a heavier load on the video card than MSTS does, it's possible his video card is overheating and shutting down. That would explain the VGA no signal message - if the card shuts down the monitor is no longer getting any input. Since the card will stay shut down until you reboot, pulling the plug and restarting resets it. Shouldn't be necessary to pull the plug and plug it back in, most computers have a reset pushbutton on the front of the case.

One thing to try is the temperature monitor mentioned before, the other is to confirm your video card is making its last will and testament. Find another graphics intensive video game or a benchmark program, like the ones from www.madonion.com to confirm that the card itself can't take the heat and needs to be given a funeral.

You didn't mention what type of video card, but Nvidia 6000 series had a bad rep for early burnouts. I had 3 6800GT cards die within two years, two of them were only six months old when they quit. The 8400GS and 8500GT I currently have still work okay (knock on wood) after 4 years so apparently Nvidia fixed the problem.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users