Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Steam Locomotive Smoke Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   openheaders 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:24 PM

Are you guys planning to have a realistic "Chuff" effect for the smoke? We all know the smoke from the stack of a steamer in real life just doesn't pour out like in the orig msts (well if the blower is off on a proto it might i'm not sure). I'm just wondering if it is even possible to add this effect into the engine or if it's too complicated. I actually saw in a game that has nothing to do with trains a great smoke effect coming from the locomotives. Amazingly "Red Dead Redemtion" for the xbox 360 locomotives have in my opinion the perfect "chuff" effect. (Even though the realism ends here as i've never seen a wood burning locomotive put out smoke thats coal-black in color!)

Anyhow I hope you guys add wind effects and the chuffing if it's possible. Either way you guys are doing great work!!

#2 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:31 PM

The new steam physics that I've seen do have "chuff" output data which we should be able to connect up to both visuals and sounds in due course.

#3 User is offline   openheaders 

• Hostler

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:34 PM

James Ross, on 06 May 2011 - 02:31 PM, said:

The new steam physics that I've seen do have "chuff" output data which we should be able to connect up to both visuals and sounds in due course.

Allright!

#4 User is offline   flamex 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:Open Rails / MSTS

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:24 PM

James Ross, on 06 May 2011 - 02:31 PM, said:

Excellent. :good:

Does it have support for multiple blast pipes, like on some simple articulated engines and rigid frame engines, like UP's 4-8-4s?

And possibly support for mixed smoke and steam exhaust as well?

#5 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:13 PM

Now that's what I'm talk'n about...
:good:

Regards,
Scott

#6 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:30 PM

flamex, on 06 May 2011 - 03:24 PM, said:

Does it have support for multiple blast pipes, like on some simple articulated engines and rigid frame engines, like UP's 4-8-4s?
And possibly support for mixed smoke and steam exhaust as well?

We should have more information in a few weeks. Our object is multiple stacks per model, multiple steam emitters per model. But all of this eye candy will not be performance free.

#7 User is offline   Bernie 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:00 AM

longiron, on 06 May 2011 - 05:30 PM, said:

We should have more information in a few weeks. Our object is multiple stacks per model, multiple steam emitters per model. But all of this eye candy will not be performance free.

If you can have different emitters pumping out different colored smoke, we could soon see models with exhaust venting from the electrical dynamos on the boiler! Wow!

Will there be a patch of some sort available at some point to update smoke chuff, much like the numerous smoke color and texture updates available? It would be neat if modelers could pick and choose from different rates of chuff, say one rate for a 4-2-0, another for a 2-8-0, etc. I can almost visualize (now this is silly, of course) folks buying cans of chuff rate to match their locos! :blink:

Nice to know that one of the most visual aspects of the steam loco can be modeled in MSTS! :rolleyes:

#8 User is offline   flamex 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:Open Rails / MSTS

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:52 AM

Bernie, on 07 May 2011 - 11:00 AM, said:

If you can have different emitters pumping out different colored smoke, we could soon see models with exhaust venting from the electrical dynamos on the boiler! Wow!

Will there be a patch of some sort available at some point to update smoke chuff, much like the numerous smoke color and texture updates available? It would be neat if modelers could pick and choose from different rates of chuff, say one rate for a 4-2-0, another for a 2-8-0, etc. I can almost visualize (now this is silly, of course) folks buying cans of chuff rate to match their locos! :blink:

Nice to know that one of the most visual aspects of the steam loco can be modeled in MSTS! :rolleyes:

I would think that chuff rate would be dependent on cylinder count, as well as driver diameter and speed, and all those are defined in the engine file.

Customizable emitters would be great, I'd love to see steam and water emissions from things like injectors, air compressors, feed water heaters and blowdown pipes.

#9 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:27 PM

I would think that chuff rate would be dependent on cylinder count, as well as driver diameter and speed, and all those are defined in the engine file.

That would be four chuff's per revolution Philip. Two power strokes per cylinder per revolution. Synchronizing sound with with pistons would seam to be a difficult problem.

Allen

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users