• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Exhaust Stack Support Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   espee 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:39 AM

I am guessing that at this stage OR only supports one exhaust point for diesels ?

MSTS only allowed 2... per engine

Is there a plan to allow up to 8 exhaust points for eg. E-units ?

#2 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:28 AM

Richard,
You are correct that OR only supports, at the present time, one effect for all locomotives - the main stack. The next turn was to offer four effects for diesels - Exhaust1, Exhaust1, Aux1 and Aux2. There's nothing fundamentally preventing OR from offering virtually unlimited definitions per ENG.

It would assist us if you could lay out the eight effects you believe are required for a single Diesel ENG. It's important to define if any of the effects you want are dependent on something else; like throttle position, speed, RPM, or anything else.

Thanks

#3 User is offline   espee 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:31 AM

Actually, I'd like to revise that to 9... maybe 10...

Early EMD E Units up to model E-7 had two diesel engines and possibly a steam generator, now that your reply has nudged the old brain cells...

The two diesel engines were V12's and non-turbo, each exhausted into a 4 stack manifold.

An A or lead unit could have a steam generator, or it could be placed in the B (cabless booster unit) if the RR had B units.

The 8 exhausts, I would be happy to have them as per MSTS based I guess on throttle position.

My preference would be for exhaust1 to exhaust8 but ?

I can't think of any roads at the moment that had two steam generators per engine but aux1 and aux2 would take care of that.

It would be nice if the steam generator exhaust was independent, as they run at a constant setting making steam for train heating.

The other nicety would be to have a steam exhaust on a diesel to simulate the steam generator vents.

Something MSTS never would allow you to do - steam options and diesel options were hard-coded into MSTS and never the twain shall meet :rotfl:

8 exhausts and 2 aux would I think be enough to cover all diesels ?

Especially if you could specify the particle emitter shader for each one, then you could have 8 black shade exhausts based on throttle position, 1 black shader for the steam generator exhaust and one white shader for the steam generator steam vent ?

If not, then 9 black with 8 based on throttle position, one constant, and one white constant.

If someone else sees something I have missed - chime in while options are being considered :rotfl:

View Postlongiron, on 11 April 2011 - 04:28 AM, said:

Richard,
You are correct that OR only supports, at the present time, one effect for all locomotives - the main stack. The next turn was to offer four effects for diesels - Exhaust1, Exhaust1, Aux1 and Aux2. There's nothing fundamentally preventing OR from offering virtually unlimited definitions per ENG.

It would assist us if you could lay out the eight effects you believe are required for a single Diesel ENG. It's important to define if any of the effects you want are dependent on something else; like throttle position, speed, RPM, or anything else.

Thanks

#4 Inactive_DAve Babb_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:50 AM

Presumably each exhaust could be fully configurable for colour / trigger etc.. I guess all we need is to come up with a full list of all possible options and a simple explanation of what to expect from it.

I'd like to have some other options which could be used for custom settings, (thinking of snow ploughing or rail jetting), maybe linked to a none engine condition like a key press.

I'd have thought that be default most things would be Throttle setting dependant, but 'constant' would have its uses.

I'd like a "heat haze" option as well, for fairly clean rolling stock there is not that much actual 'smoke' but can be a lot of this haze.

Example (from the railway Herald) http://www.railwayherald.org/images/photos/750/750163646.jpg

Would it be possibly to add configuration to set our own colour / rate /speed / thickness etc ? If its all being done by particles then presumably it can all be defined as we need.

If the number of allowable effects is to be limited it should be set pretty high so that no one ever reaches it.

#5 Inactive_regis_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:52 AM

I also I have the same problem with the engine exhaust of Genset, MSTS only supports me 2 exhaust in the model 2GS14B and not 3 as would be needed in the model 3GS21B, in Openrails it happens that the 3 exhaust are merged into 1 single, would be a breakthrough if the time could provide support for multiple engine models, not asking for much can be achieved only add more leaks for now, later when the draft Openrail progress could add more effects.

I apologize again for my English

Hector jara

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users