• Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:46 AM

?

#2 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:48 PM

You probably can compile the released source code, but I don't believe it was checked before-hand to be certain that doing so was possible, so some fiddling might be needed (that's all I meant in your first link). It's not like it was intentionally made hard, it just wasn't intentionally made easy. If you have Visual Studio 2008 or Visual C# Express 2008 and XNA Game Studio 3.1 installed, open the solution file and see what happens when you hit F6. :rotfl:

The purpose was, as I understand it, for people to see how OR works and what's been implemented or not. It's not useful for providing fixes because it is out of date with development - if we had the Subversion repository publically read-only, then it would be more reasonable (although it's still less than idea to accept work from outside the dev team due to the planning and other organisation that goes on internally).

#3 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 10 April 2011 - 05:13 PM

The idea of releasing the source code, in my opinion, was to achieve three major goals:

1. To provide the community a "view" of the internals of OR, so that there were no hidden things. Everything is available for examination, so suggestions for changes and improvements could be made without guessing. That was a critical piece of the Open Rails vision.

2. For people with coding talent, releasing the source code provides a first hand look at what XNA and C# coding for OR is like. In this way, those members can assess whether they have the skills and desire to make a contribution.

3. To serve as a recruitment tool. As James indicates, the OR project is continuously being updated. Unless there's coordination between the project and the contributor, its a high probabiltiy that the time and effort invested by a community member without the knowledge or guidance of the OR team would be obsoleted or not usable. That's not a good situation for either party.

We have projects that move at the volunteer's timeframe - some faster, others slower. That should not be the criteria for deciding whether to contribute.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users