• You cannot reply to this topic

OR video card problem . Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Hobo 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OPEN RAILS & MSTS

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:29 PM

Hi Guys !
Thought I'd try OR , d/l 645 , installed fine , started her up , selected route , started fine , route opened for about 2 seconds , everything went black , Video card no longer works at all . It will light up on start but won't show windows XP when loading .
Any and all suggestions are appreciated . Card is a 7600 GT Geforce 256M, using directx 9c .

#2 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:46 PM

Please add the log file. The team needs to look in there for possible solutions. You should find it on your desktop.

Have fun!

:oldstry:

#3 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:53 PM

Open Rails has nothing to do with your troubles. It was an unlucky bystander. If you cannot see the basic Windows screen, then you need to do some debugging.

1. Let's try some of the obvious. Remove and re-seat the video card and the monitor cable. Test to see if either of those do the trick.

3. Does your MOBO have a embedded video chip in it or do you have an old video card laying around? If #2 doesn't work, then you can try removing the existing video card. If you get something on the screen using the embedded video chip or an old card, then you are off to the store to by a new video card.

Good Luck

#4 User is offline   Hobo 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OPEN RAILS & MSTS

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:27 AM

As soon as it happened I took out the card and put in a 5600GT that I have . It started up and is still working just fine - no change in drivers or anything else . I have since tried the 7600GT again and it will load up to the screen for my personal desktop then it still quits . Both cards use the same drivers and I've been running them for some years now . One of the requirements of OR is that the video card have "shader 9" . I don't know whether that could be a possible cause - I don't know if the 7600GT card has that or not .

#5 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:34 AM

As soon as it happened I took out the card and put in a 5600GT that I have . It started up and is still working just fine - no change in drivers or anything else . I have since tried the 7600GT again and it will load up to the screen for my personal desktop then it still quits . Both cards use the same drivers and I've been running them for some years now . One of the requirements of OR is that the video card have "shader 9" . I don't know whether that could be a possible cause - I don't know if the 7600GT card has that or not .

The reason for the no change in drivers is that Nvidia's drivers are unified. One download fits all cards.

Allen :oldstry:

#6 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:47 AM

View PostHobo, on 19 March 2011 - 07:27 AM, said:

As soon as it happened I took out the card and put in a 5600GT that I have . It started up and is still working just fine - no change in drivers or anything else . I have since tried the 7600GT again and it will load up to the screen for my personal desktop then it still quits.

This means that your 7600GT video card is bad, it needs to be replaced. For about $50 -$75, you should be able to buy a better card than the 7600 GT. As with all computer components, you can get so much more for your money.

View PostHobo, on 19 March 2011 - 07:27 AM, said:

Both cards use the same drivers and I've been running them for some years now . One of the requirements of OR is that the video card have "shader 9" . I don't know whether that could be a possible cause - I don't know if the 7600GT card has that or not .

The 7600 GT fully supported Open Rails requirements. Anything you're likely to replace it with will support Open Rails. Try to get a card with a minimum of 256 MB and recommended 512 MB Video RAM.

#7 User is offline   Hawk 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:29 AM

View Postlongiron, on 19 March 2011 - 10:47 AM, said:

The 7600 GT fully supported Open Rails requirements. Anything you're likely to replace it with will support Open Rails. Try to get a card with a minimum of 256 MB and recommended 512 MB Video RAM.

According to James, the 7600 card will not work right with OR, at least with dynamic shadows.

http://www.elvastowe...ynamic-shadows/

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users