• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MLT Greater Toronto Area route doesn't load objects. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Northeastern292 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:01 PM

When I tried loading the MLT GTA route, all I got was a blank world. No objects or anything. And some routes won't load properly.

#2 User is offline   farrmp 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails/MSTS

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:07 PM

View PostNortheastern292, on 11 March 2011 - 06:01 PM, said:

When I tried loading the MLT GTA route, all I got was a blank world. No objects or anything. And some routes won't load properly.

There seems to be something unusual about MLT's routes. I have Cascade Crossing and Soldier Summit and almost ALL of the Scenery Objects are missing
in ALL versions of ORTS (back to v017). All 20 of my other Routes appear pretty much the same in ORTS as they do in MSTS. It is kinda' fun to go up the
Willamette River with no trees!

Paul

#3 User is offline   Northeastern292 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:45 PM

I guess I'll deal with it for now. But I can acutally play OpenRails, unlike MSTS, which is no more than a slideshow, even with my computer's quad core processor (Q6600) and GTX 460 GPU. ;)

#4 User is offline   farrmp 

• Hostler

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:55 AM

FWIW, Problems with Autogantry items.

Thanks to some excellent detective work by 'BrianB' (Bere-Streeter) over at uktrainsim, and a fine explanation by James 'twpol' of the OR Development team. We now know that, Scenery items placed along the Right of Way using the AUTOGANTRY Placement Feature of MSTS Route Editor will NOT be visible in ORTS, IF-- The Shape .S files in the WORLD Folder for that route, ARE COMPRESSED (the usual form)! Uncompress the .S files in the WORLD Folder and ALL Scenery Items are now Visible in ORTS (any Version). Apparently, the good folks over at MLT use the AUTOGANTRY Feature a lot. BTW, I bet many other Route Developers use this Feature of RE, thus explaining other cases of missing Scenery Objects in ORTS.

I'm enjoying ORTS ALL the TIME now, even on the MLT Routes I run on.

'nuff said,

Paul

#5 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:50 AM

Please note that you need to uncompress the world (.w) files, not the shape files (.s). There shouldn't be any shape files in the WORLD folder.

#6 User is offline   farrmp 

• Hostler

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:43 PM

View Postlongiron, on 08 April 2011 - 11:50 AM, said:

Please note that you need to uncompress the world (.w) files, not the shape files (.s). There shouldn't be any shape files in the WORLD folder.

RIGHT! Sorry about that, I guess It was a 'Senior Moment' I was having this morning.
Thank you Chris for catching my mistake quickly. Hope this info helps others. . .

Paul

#7 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:47 PM

I can attest there's funky business about MLT's GTA route. I've been attacking mine with great guns in order to improve scenery and minimise it's FPS impact and overall weight. In case you didn't know - the Oshawa portion IS on the route, but is not connected and incomplete. Andy Hockin said he had to abandon it due to excessive dynamic track use and signal conflicts. In my surgical removing of the tiles, they definately affected a few signals around Union. And more so, caused atleast 3 .TDB glitches on the Richmond Hill line in and around Thornlea Diamond. No doubt due to Dynamic Track copies or the like. So it's a shame that GTA is so minor in one regard, yet so massive in another. And was wondering how it would fair in OR, but I'm not surprised to see it would be having conflicts.

Auto gantry I don't think would be the sole cause. I would hazard it's more in the Sigcfg.dat - as GTA uses a LOT when you add them up (all those dwarfs in The Strawberry Patch at Union for starts). Then there's the Dynamic Track use, which Andy may have done a no-no on by trying to take short cuts stretching to Oshawa with. And then there's the Tile aspect as well, which has gotten almost 'paranormal' for me in places trying to sculpt and level with numerous modes. Not sure if that's Demex anomalies, or just MSTS weirdness and 'great white voids' trying to rear their ugly heads again. But it's worse than playing 'Whack-A-Mole' on any given branch at any given time.

I'm currently wrestling with ironing out Maple area, and the terrain adjustments instantly crash RE when I go to Save. Yet, the changes are saved. And if I go to say Stoufville and hammer on things there, and for poops and giggles go back to Maple for some more grief - all of a sudden Maples terrain is a pleasure to work with. Then if I go to Aldershot, it could be a nightmare there suddenly. And so on. So definately some funky funky business in and around the GTA route. :pleasantry:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users