Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:27 AM

http://www.elvastowe...eenshot&id=1131
File Name: 12 ton class A Shay
File Submitter: thegrindre
File Submitted: 12 Dec 2010
File Updated: 21 Apr 2014
File Category: NG Steam Locos

Hi all,
This model depicts the later 1800s type of logging locomotive that was capable of hauling extremely heavy loads up and down mountain grades as sever as 15%. It was also capable of negotiating extremely sharp curves and over some of the worst rails ever laid.
It has been said that if the ride, all of a sudden became smooth, it had left the tracks.

The shay locomotive was a marvelous piece of work. With all wheels as drivers, it had its own designation as to the size a wheel configuration of a locomotive.
This Shay is a 12 ton, Class A, two truck locomotive and is one of the smaller Shays of that era. (I believe the smallest built was only an 8 ton Shay.)
Because of the small gear driven wheels at ratios of at least 2:1, top speeds might reach 12 MPH and, that's for all Shays no matter what their size was.
They weren't built for speed, they were built for pulling power.

I've done my best to copy the overall basic cn104 built in 1884 by the Lima Machine Works.
The original cn104 was a coal burner but, this version I've modeled could very well have been a wood burner and built by Lima this way.

The sound files (power) are mine from a real Shay I recorded and adapted for the MSTS environment. Some of the other sounds are also real Shay sounds I've acquired for the sim.
If you listen closely, the coal shoveling sound is a modified MSTS sound I slowed way down to make it sound like wood clunking and being thrown on the fire instead of coal but, it really is MSTS' coal shoveling SFX.

Poly count sits at 23,386 and doesn't seem to effect the sim much.

This has been a work in progress for well over two years or so and, I hope you all have as much fun and enjoy it as I did in modeling it.
CREDITS:
I tip my hat to the following train sim lovers who have helped me immensely,
hadrians, aka Howard, my 'Mechanic' when messin' with the techy stuff.
Deepguinness aka Arnold, for all the animations and help he's given.
Sandy River Tom, aka Tom, for letting me know what he really thinks and in helping in anyway he could. (He also made the crew!)
johnfrum, aka John, for 'takin' it for a spin' checking for any operational errors.
Hiball3985, aka Jim, another fine tester.
wellsburg, aka Mike, yet, another great tester.
Steven another tester.

And, to all those who helped out with advice and suggestions on the forums,

Many many thanks to you all.

:whistling:

Click here to download this file

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users