• You cannot reply to this topic

Anyone ever see this phenonemon? Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:30 AM

Do you have the required software from Microsoft? It's described on the web page and, IIRC, in the OR documentation. If present, the post the OR log in the OR Discussion forum and somebody will take a look at it for you.

#12 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails Only

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:52 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 29 October 2010 - 09:30 AM, said:

Do you have the required software from Microsoft? It's described on the web page and, IIRC, in the OR documentation. If present, the post the OR log in the OR Discussion forum and somebody will take a look at it for you.

I have DirectX9c and XNA 3.1. Whether or not my video card (nVidia GT 130) supports shader2 I don't know yet. Where is the OR Log? I don't see it anywhere.

My system is XP Pro SP2, running on an iMac OSX 1T Intel Core2 Duo HD, 3GB RAM.

#13 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:30 AM

View Posttimmuir, on 29 October 2010 - 09:52 AM, said:

I have DirectX9c and XNA 3.1. Whether or not my video card (nVidia GT 130) supports shader2 I don't know yet. Where is the OR Log? I don't see it anywhere.

My system is XP Pro SP2, running on an iMac OSX 1T Intel Core2 Duo HD, 3GB RAM.

On my machine it creates a shortcut icon. As for where it is, I'm on Win 7 so the location won't match XP but it's somewhere in the Profile area.

#14 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:35 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 29 October 2010 - 10:30 AM, said:

On my machine it creates a shortcut icon. As for where it is, I'm on Win 7 so the location won't match XP but it's somewhere in the Profile area.

It didn't create a shortcut icon, just the .exe icon in the folder I unzipped it to. The OpenRails.exe opens OR interface where I can set up the sim, but once I click the green Start button I get the S/DS. I see no Logs, nor profile, for that matter, anywhere.

Attached Image: Image1.jpg

#15 User is offline   inflammable 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 29 October 2010 - 01:07 PM

I agree with Dave, it's probably a weird shape file.

I think I had it happen once, but I don't remember for sure. I would have fixed whatever it was that I was working on. After doing a computer shutdown/startup sequence to clean the memory.

James

#16 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 30 October 2010 - 09:09 AM

View Posttimmuir, on 29 October 2010 - 12:35 PM, said:

It didn't create a shortcut icon, just the .exe icon in the folder I unzipped it to. The OpenRails.exe opens OR interface where I can set up the sim, but once I click the green Start button I get the S/DS. I see no Logs, nor profile, for that matter, anywhere.

Have you also got the Microsoft .xna software installed? It's free, it's downloaded from here.

#17 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 30 October 2010 - 11:08 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 30 October 2010 - 09:09 AM, said:

Have you also got the Microsoft .xna software installed? It's free, it's downloaded from here.

Yes, as I said in #12, above.

I don't think my video card has Shader2 capability, at least I can't find any proof of it. I tried to download newer drivers from nVidia, but their scan says I'm using an M series video card in a Notebook - and nothing at all for the GT 130 on board - useless! I just uninstalled the whole OR package.

As for the Salvadore Dali effects, I haven't seen anymore of those after trying to replicate the same conditions for over an hour. Thanks for all your input, everyone.

#18 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President

Posted 30 October 2010 - 12:54 PM

It looks to me like you've accidentally named or overwritten a 'terrain.ace' with a 'train.ace'? Though I can attest, Terrtex and Tiles can do some pretty weird things sometimes. This is what I would get on my GTA route if I went to adjust say a 5x5 selection up a foot or so...

http://api.ning.com/files/1Pmx6vpUUuJJ6Dc5DeNUep1HqcEtUIO-RB59kKLYazXEfTiN0y6ZLtnob0RlbBrT0FHBuDnFM*aS3Xn0anhkqmAqFKQQXmEo/WeirdTerrain.JPG

So I just avoided that tile, and worked elsewhere on the route just fine. After placing roads, house, adjusting terrain just fine I returned to this tile and tried the 5x5 adjustment again, and worked without a problem. So hard to say what the glitch was in MSTS and or RGE at the time? It has it's moments, I'll give you that. :sign_sorry:

#19 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 30 October 2010 - 03:15 PM

A Christmas Tree farm! That's a weird "Moment".

#20 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:34 PM

Another 'weird moment' I had was tiles on top of tiles. Using the selector tool trying to get a object I noticed this highlighting under the terrain. Like a buried road or something just under the surface. Hitting 'W' revealed nothing. So I selected this sneaky tiles and deleted, and no harm was encountered. Just wondered if you gone over your tiles with the selector tool, you might get lucky like I did.
The other saving grace for me is Route Heometry Extractor. After the 'christmas tree' weirdness, I was encountering places where terrain just wouldn't work. Or the whole tile would sink lower than low. Adjusting 'Route Values' in RGE so the terrain error level was 0.5 as opposed to 1.0 seemed to clear everything up for the most part. But I notice that RE's Properties change to 'Metric' and '3rd Rail'.

Hard to know if we're working in MSTS or playing an elaborate version of 'Whack A-Mole' sometimes. :sign_sorry:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users