• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Benedict Branch HO Scale Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   inflammable 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:09 AM

This is a second route, with base HO Scale specifications.
Attached Image: BandW1.jpg
Our mixed train just outside of Wexford. The two boxcars are to be loaded with sacks of corn, and the coach is for any passengers which may appear. The fences are heavily influenced by the Horse Farms which are so plentiful in the area of Kentucky that I live.
Attached Image: BandW2.jpg
Approaching the Wexford Station.
Attached Image: BandW3.jpg
At the water tower. I was pleased to be able to get the water tank as a pickup object. I plan to continue with short trains, and in this case, the engine may take water and have the caboose near the depot.
Attached Image: BandW4.jpg
For a moment I was going to have semaphores, but then on a whim I went with Ball Masts. These are inoperative at the moment, as I'm unsure of the final track plan, and don't want to install any more interactives than the water tank. I think the ball mast is to go on the station side, however.
Attached Image: BandW5.jpg
Pulling for the Benedict Branch. The straight track on the right is the Main, the center is a siding/runaround, which also leads to the Benedict Branch, and the stub to the far left is a loading track for the stock pens.
Attached Image: BandW6.jpg
The stock pens, as the train departs Wexford.
Attached Image: BandW7.jpg
As a layout with a lot of open space, the branch line is predominately 48 inch radius curves, and 36 inch long straights.
Attached Image: BandW8.jpg
This oak forest will be part of future plans.
Attached Image: BandW9.jpg
Just the default cab on this engine, but there's an apple orchard on the far side of the train.

To be continued...
James

#2 User is offline   inflammable 

• Engineer

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:27 AM

Attached Image: BandW10.jpg
Checking our train along a reverse curve.
Attached Image: BandW11.jpg
Steaming through the Pine Forest. It too has plans for the future.
Attached Image: BandW12.jpg
Approaching the Benedict platform.
Attached Image: BandW13.jpg
There is a reversing loop up here. It makes the sim uneasy, and the switch is always set for diverging. The switch stands are hijacked off of Paul Charland's FJ&G route, when I made an MOW flatcar for it.
Attached Image: BandW14.jpg
It's difficult to tell, but this curve is currently the sharpest that I have; it's 18 inch radius. I didn't want to run the steam engines backwards on the return trip, and a wye seemed difficult to negotiate when I run this with my 5 year old.
Attached Image: BandW15.jpg
Benedict is a farm, and they enjoy large corn crops here. They occasionally have passengers, and hopefully in the future will have large equipment or animals delivered.
Attached Image: BandW16.jpg
The platform is a little cluttered at the moment. I had some confusion for a while as to which town was which, and mislabeled the sacks as Wexford.
Attached Image: BandW17.jpg
The Benedict Ball Mast indicates that the train may proceed.
Attached Image: BandW18.jpg
Returning to Wexford and beyond.

I have big ideas for this, but only time will tell how far I'll get. I'd like to continue populating this route with details, and build new equipment, and repaint what I'm already using. After that, I'll clone the route, and update it for different conditions and a later time frame. The end result, should be several routes telling the life of a shortline railroad, which was featured in a Model Railroader at maybe 15 years ago.

James

#3 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:19 AM

Absolutely fantastic, James. Very entertaining. I very much enjoy your 'toy train' style. I love your little engineer, too. :bigboss:

:whistling:

#4 User is offline   inflammable 

• Engineer

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:03 AM

I'm sorry, I neglected to mention the train.

The train is by Jonatan Gronoset. The steam engine, tender, and coach are currently unavailable, but the freight cars and diesels that he made are available in a repainting kit at trainsim.com, l36lrskn.zip.

I'm glad you are enjoying it. I've been working on it off and on, and wanted to share a little.

James

#5 User is offline   trainboy6218 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:08 PM

that is a neat little route. i hope it and the steam locomotive will be availiable for download. i really like the whole "LIL" seriese.

#6 User is offline   trainboy6218 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:08 PM

that is a neat little route. i hope it and the steam locomotive will be availiable for download. i really like the whole "LIL" seriese.

#7 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:10 AM

I'm working on updating the passenger coach some, changing interior details and colors to make it look not so blocky. Also gonna make a mail car, baggage car and combine car.

All this attention to the li'l trains have gotten me in a good building mood! :)

The Li'l Lokey was concieved years ago, with the Make Way For Noddy! cartoons being the inspiration and starting as a simple series of drawings I did on napkins in school. Then as I learned how to model I transferred those into 3D. I still try to keep this toylike style to the trains.

#8 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:41 AM

How's these things, guys? Coach got a new interior with better seats, and there's a baggage and combine car. I think the coach and combine would work for the Benedict Branch.

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/2583/sfcan553.jpg
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/8013/sfcan555.jpg
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/2605/sfcan554.jpg

#9 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:53 AM

Scenery's great! (Love the fencing!) But the train reminds me a lot of Thomas The Tank Engine, which reminds me of Ringo Starr, which reminds me of drinking, which reminds me... It's past noon!

Gentlemen, start your engines! :wtf01:

#10 User is offline   inflammable 

• Engineer

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:33 PM

I did intend for a Thomas style branch line, to entrance my son into it further. Though he understands about vaporware, also.

The coaches do look good!

James

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users