Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Interesting Occurence On the Bad Luck and Western (HO Scale) Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   inflammable 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:53 AM

I took a few minutes to drive a train, as I've been working on the route lately.

The route consists of a short mainline, and a branch line. The branch ends in a loop, to save having to run a wye. I had an uneventful trip from one end of the main, and up the branch. The interesting thing happened as I crossed the switch which creates the loop.

Attached Image: odd1.jpg

In the Number 4 view, watching the train negotiate the switch. In previous trips, the switch seemed to be locked in the diverging position, presumably due to the loop. But recently, I rebuilt the track database, to try to find a lost track piece (I wasn't able to find it). There are no road sections, and no interactives.

The locomotive decided to go straight, and I thought that the recent rebuild had unstuck the switch.

Attached Image: odd2.jpg

The loco did go straight, and the points evidently sprang to diverging, under the tender. The train was originally a steam engine, a tender, two identical flatcars, and a caboose. In the above view, I THINK the first flatcar was parallel to the loco, as there is an extra coupler where there shouldn't be.

Attached Image: odd3.jpg

In this shot above, the coupling between the engine and tender came apart, though it wasn't an official 'Broken Coupler'. The loco proceeded to boogie around the loop. The tender has sprung back and is inside the caboose. The first of the two flatcars has either vanished, or is perfectly telescoped into the second flatcar.

Attached Image: odd4.jpg

Attached Image: odd5.jpg

Attached Image: odd6.jpg

Bounding boxes forgotten, the flatcars are inside the engine, and the tender is inside the caboose.

Attached Image: odd7.jpg

Then, for some reason, the fire went out. All the black smoke stopped, and the throttle and reverser proved unresponsive. I think the white smoke is the steam exhaust from a dynamo.

Attached Image: odd8.jpg

The cabview and headout view still work, this isn't an extended derailment cam.

Attached Image: odd9.jpg

The wheelslip indicator also became stuck, when the fire went out. If you look closely, you can make out extra grab irons on the flatcar, indicating the flatcars are mashed together.

Attached Image: odd10.jpg

And then a shot of the extended F5 information.

Do things like this happen to anyone else? I also have screenshots of a 44 tonner with it's nose up, taking off like a jet.

I think this instance, and the mentioned 44 tonner, are connected to rampant manipulation of the world files, as I tend to copy and paste the location and direction information when I place berms, or in the case of this route, place trackside fences.

All the track and fence shapes are home made, and it's alway's possible I made an error in the Tsection. But it's worked decent until this. I'll rebuild the database again, and see what happens.

I've built several versions of the Benedict and Wexford over the last few years, it's out of a Model Railroader. And each time I build it, I have point picking problems, I guess due to the loops.

James

#2 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:07 AM

Hmmm.... *scratches chin*

Well, I've had that happen to me as well sometimes in certain loops or switches, sometimes at random, but not only with this trainset. And the dynamo exhaust is indeed the safety valve, set to a 0 reading, hence why the loco should never be fired manually.

The Lokey is built to work without it's tender so if you lose it it's not any problem.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users