• You cannot reply to this topic

FJ&Gv2 in the works.... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:31 AM

Hi All,

I've started to update my Fonda Johnstown and Gloversville route to bring it up to the late 1970s after becoming part of the Delaware Otsego System. At that time the FJ&G had changed operations to one round trip a day starting and ending from a new engine shed in Fonda. The line had also purchased about 200 ex-Penn Central 40 and 50 foot boxcars and about 30 new Thrall Door boxcars.

A test run of what should be a typical activity took close to five hours, that's promising.

The conversion of Fonda is about finished, here are a few before and after shots:

NYC Upstate Limited heads east while the morning FJ&G freight departs Fonda.

Attached Image: FJGv1_1.jpg

Amtrak Lakeshore Limited heads east the morning FJ&G freight departs Fonda.

Attached Image: FJGv2_1.jpg

FJ&G 20 arrives at the Fonda yard while an NYC freight passes.

Attached Image: FJGv2_2.jpg

FJ&G 20 arrives the Fonda yard as Conrail TV 7 passes.

Attached Image: FJGv1_2.jpg

FJ&G 21 passes the Fonda station while an NYC freight crosses Broadway Avenue.

Attached Image: FJGv1_3.jpg

FJ&G 21 passes the site of the Fonda station while Conrail SLSE crosses Broadway Avenue.

Attached Image: FJGv2_3.jpg

Paul :-)

#2 User is online   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:26 AM

Hi Paul,

Yes please.
The physics of the sw1500's is way off, and the 44 tonner had the eng file of a dash 9.
I have never seen a 44 tonner pull 10 loaded cars up a 2% grade!!

Let me know if you want plainsmans physics for any of the loco's.

Derek

#3 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:18 AM

Hi Derek,

The engine file for the S-2s was from Dick Cowan's S-2 kit, and the 44 tonner engine file from Dick's 44 tonner. I did notice last night that the rear headlight sphere is screwed up on the S-2s, so will be correcting that. Also have to add a plow to the front and rear of one unit and change the single chime horn to three chime horns on both S-2s, might have a go at retexturing both while I'm at it. The 44 tonner was off the property in the late '60s, becoming Burlington Junction Railway 44.

#4 User is offline   inflammable 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:48 AM

The route looks good, Paul.

I'd always liked how the 44 tonner pulled. I have similar physics on my 44 tonner, and it seems to be decent.

Granted, I've never seen a 44t in operation, so I am just going on what 'I think' is right.

James

#5 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:24 AM

Hi James,

When I finally got the S-2s running with Dick's engine file I had to increase the pulling power of the units because they just couldn't make the hill with a prototypical length train. Even with the adjustment, using plenty of sand, a ten car train is down to 10-15 mph by the time it hits the top of the hill. My adjustment may not be perfect but it does allow for close to prototype operations. Part of the problem there is rolling stock that is way too heavy for what it should be. I saw the other day a 39' tank car that weighed only 16.5 tons but was carrying 66 tons of cargo. Was much easier for me to adjust the two S-2s to be able to get up the hill rather then adjust half the rolling stock out there!

Wasn't planning to use the 44 tonner for going up the hill, so didn't tinker with it. The FJ&G found it was too light to work the hill so used it on the flatter route between Gloversville and Broadalbin on the mixed and in the Gloversville yard.

#6 User is online   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:05 PM

Hi Paul,

Would it not be easier to swap a few loaded cars for empties and leave the engine physics alone?
That way we have the engine as it should be.

Derek

#7 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:15 PM

Hi Derek,

I was already using empties for the most part, hard to swap an empty for a visible load like the coal hoppers that are so common on the line... loads go up the hill, empties come down. It's hard enough to get people to take the time to download the cars you use in an activity, getting them to open a wag file and change car weights and whatever else that would need to be corrected just wouldn't happen.

When I made the changes to the two FJ&G units it was because my intent was to have them used on the FJ&G, the real FJ&G could handle ten cars and that's what I needed the MS version to be able to do. If someone else wanted to use them for other purposes, fine, but it would be up to them to make whatever changes the wanted.

#8 User is offline   inflammable 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:45 AM

You know, Paul, there are snow textures for those static automobiles at train-sim. Just search for my name. I wish I had the patience to build more autos, but patience is something I'm severely lacking anymore.

I hope things are going well.

James

#9 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:56 AM

Hi James,

Now that you mention it, I do recall there is a file in the library you posted after one of Rich's updates, thanks for reminding me.

Things are about as good as they are going to get here, hope they are better at your end!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users