• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Canada Atlantic Railway Scenes from 100 years ago Rate Topic: -----

#61 User is offline   johnfrum 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

Thanks for the support, my friends. It's especially appreciated coming from the three of you master modellers whose opinions I most value!

Rick: I'm not 100% certain, but I think Emersons is likely one of John Fleming's series of cardstock models -- although the big sign is possibly one I found on the Web.

Here's a close-up view of the store:

Attached Image: Emersons.jpg

The smaller sign in front there is one of your own town signs (again with an image scavanged from the Web affixed to it).

-JF-

#62 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:07 AM

Holy smokes John! That control tower is spitting image of the types still in use in and around Union Station. Did you make that? Been hunting high and low for something like that. And certainly never would have guessed that style goes THAT far back to the days of the CAR.

The routes really coming along, and great pictures too! Keep up the great work! :oldstry:

#63 User is offline   johnfrum 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

Thanks Noisemaker.

I admit that tower is a bit big for the yard where it's located, but it's a nice one so I decided to use it. (That pretty much sums up my entire route-building philosophy. :oldstry: )

It's actually a model of the BX Tower in St. Thomas -- at the diamond where the London & Port Stanley crosses the Canada Southern/Michigan Central -- and I got it from Wayne Campbell's L. & P.S. [Is that another one of your structures by any chance, Tim???]

BX Tower was built in about 1910 (so it's true to the C.A.R. era) and it still stands in St. Thomas today, although no longer operational.

By the way: does anyone know if "BX Tower" was a generic name for a certain type of interlocking tower? There seem to have been BX Towers on quite a few railways, although they didn't necessarily look the same.

-JF-

#64 User is offline   Coonskin 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

Sure enjoy the pics, John. Please don't wait so long before posting another round! :oldstry:

John Fleming:

Has ANYONE heard from John Fleming lately?? I have not seen a post of his in a long time. I hope he is alright?

Sorry for the slight hijack... but if no one's heard from him, I'll post a plea in another section of these forums.

#65 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

As far as I know, he's alright. He's a beta tester of mine and we've been in touch this past week or so. :oldstry:

:oldstry:

#66 User is offline   Coonskin 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

Great news, Rick. I think of him often and was concerned. Tell'im I said HI!!

Okay: End of the slight hi-jack.

#67 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

Will do. :oldstry:

:oldstry:

#68 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

Thanks John! Didn't even dawn on me about the L&PS route. I've certainly extrapolated and used many of Waynes houses and factories on my Ontario routes. And Wayne has certainly been great in allowing me to included them on some public releases as well. But as to 'track objects' I guess I always thought L&PS would be too old and/or unique to be transferable. I go by that tower often on the route, and never gave it a second look. Definitely will now! .)

As for John Fleming, I spoke with him privately a few weeks ago. He's doing well as far as I could tell. He's in a bit of sorts over the cardstock models, as apparently the Clever Co. had agreed to put his MSTS conversions of them on their site - then suddenly had a 'change of heart'. John's loyal and respectful of them still, but knows how well they do convert for MSTS, so is kinda torn about it all. But still friendly and helpful to us 'Elvans' who drop him a line. :oldstry:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users