• You cannot reply to this topic

A Railroad You Can Model Story in an old MR on the FJ&G Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   pnrailway 

• Superintendant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:05 AM

The other day I was looking at some back issues of Model Railroader as I packed them to move. I came across the August 1979 issue that contained an article in the "Railroad You Can Model" series on the FJ&G. From the included maps and photos you can see just how faithfully Paul Charland had modeled the line in his route.

In the article you followed a train from Fonda up through Johnstown to Gloversville. The train consisted of Engine #21, a Ma&Pa box car, a Santa Fe boxcar, a Union Pacific boxcar, a CB&Q boxcar, a Union Tank Line tank car and three all door boxcars. Last night, after a long day working at the new house, I made up a consist of similar pieces of rolling stock (#20 instead of #21), a Ma&Pa car, a Santa Fe car, a UP car, a CB&Q car, a tank car and three all door box cars and while I didn't have time to set up the proper scenario, I ran a train between Fonda and Gloversville. The following are shots from that trip.

It was a warm early Summer's morning and the fog hung low in the Mohawk River valley as the FJ&G freight swapped out cars with Conrail.
Attached Image: Screen-5-13-10-0002.jpg

Meanwhile up at Gloversville engine #21 was idling by the freight house with the mornings fog thick there as well. The line was in bad need of maintenance with earth showing through the ballast everywhere, here in the Gloversville yard and everywhere else as well. The new owners had plans for extensive rebuilding to handle increased freight from a number of large customers they had been able to get to sign up with promises of dependable and customized service.
Attached Image: Screen-5-13b-10-0003.jpg

It took took some time to sift through the 25 cars Conrail had left during the night and it was after 7:30 by the time the train headed back toward FJ&G rails for the trip up out of the valley. The sun was just coming up out of the east by the time the train was headed the short distance westbound.
Attached Image: Screen-5-13a-10-0008.jpg

Attached Image: Screen-5-13a-10-0034.jpg

It was a long grueling climb up the 2.8% grade that limited the trains length to 8 cars, so several trips would be needed before all 25 cars were taken up the hill.
Attached Image: Screen-5-13a-10-0038.jpg

Attached Image: Screen-5-13a-10-0067.jpg

Attached Image: Screen-5-13a-10-0091.jpg

After what seemed like forever the train finally crossed High Bridge.
Attached Image: Screen-5-13a-10-0110.jpg

From High Bridge the grade continued on unabated till the train reached Sammonsville Road. From there it was a bit easier to Johnstown.
Attached Image: Screen-5-13a-10-0325.jpg

From Johnstown it was just over a mile to the yard at Gloversville but the switching needed between Fonda and customers at Johnstown and Gloversville saw our crew use up their entire 12 hour shift, and that still left the 3 all door boxcars left to be delivered at the end of the line at Broadalbin.
Attached Image: Screen-5-13a-10-0531.jpg

#2 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:33 AM

Great story! Great route! Great shots, Paul. I enjoyed it all. Great job!

#3 User is offline   rfranzosa 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:38 PM

Nicely done!!!!

#4 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails Only

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:48 PM

Great storyline Paul. So, did you loose any customers that day?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users