Elvas Tower: "When we wish upon a star........." - Elvas Tower

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"When we wish upon a star........." Open Rails users' wishlist, please and thank you. Rate Topic: -----

#51 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:56 PM

Motto:

Recreating The Steam Locomotive Experience.

I think I'll adopt that motto for my Open Rails steam locomotives.

Cheers Bazza

(Strong coffee kicking in about.......NOW!) http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/jumpy.gif

#52 Inactive_Heather_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 23 April 2010 - 04:51 PM

My big wish is AI trains that can share the same track system without running into each other. Rail Works has problems in this area. Trainz, on the other hand has a very extensive set of rules to manage AI activities. If the user sets up proper signaling and schedules a complete multi-train system should be possible. Further the trains/shunters would all operate to satisfy the orders/waybills of the day or week. I envision a virtual customer submitting an order to the front office. It gets translated to waybills with orders for each train. This translates into commands that O.R. recognizes. Existing consists are broken down and rearranged. Loose stock is assembled into a consist that satisfies a waybill. an engine arrives, with or without a consist, and takes the new consist to its various destination. It would possibly also pick up stock for delivery to the appropriate yard.

This may not be prototypical but is a layman's view and wish.

#53 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:40 PM

Perhaps this is the sort of setup that could be added by a third-party developer sometime in the future.

Cheers Bazza

#54 Inactive_Erick_Cantu_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:57 PM

-A real sky. Ditch the route-specific env files and the availability of only four weather schemes for a dynamic sky with volumetric clouds and weather like the current flight sims have
-Engine acceleration/load variable in the sound system
-Engine inertia for those pesky over-revving diesels
-Support for smoke, lights, and other effects on scenery objects, multiple animations per scenery object (think gates as well as lights)
-Ability to have looping animations linked to proximity of train (think signals)
-AI sounds based on engine RPM
-AI blowing horns at crossings
-Death of the route concept in favour of a scenery system more skin to modern flight sims

#55 User is offline   dantheman 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:59 AM

View PostErick_Cantu, on 23 April 2010 - 11:57 PM, said:

-Death of the route concept in favour of a scenery system more skin to modern flight sims

Death of route? That doesn't sound good to me. :thumbup3:

#56 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:28 PM

I believe he's refering to a system used by FSX and supposedly, would have been used by MSTS2 Mk2. This concept may be what Cascade Game Factory is dreaming up.....they really need to start spitting out some facts....IMO.

Cheers Bazza

#57 User is offline   CGW121 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 25 April 2010 - 03:24 PM

Gee I was just hoping for better code, maybe error checking, a better graphics engine, and a better dispatcher and perhaps the ability to have default substutitions for missing rolling stock, but this sounds so .. well .. basic.

#58 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 25 April 2010 - 03:58 PM

View Postjohnfrum, on 25 March 2010 - 05:07 AM, said:

Providing the ability to display location coordinates while running in the simulator.

This would make it simpler to pinpoint minor problems (terrain on track, eg) when switching back to Route Editor.

-JF-

We're displaying camera position, direction, and tile in the debug mode of the software. Adding it to the public version shouldn't be much of an issue... just figuring out which key to use to display it....

#59 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 25 April 2010 - 04:05 PM

View PostRioGrandeMan, on 26 March 2010 - 03:17 PM, said:

I would be interested in using Open Rails and have the ability (if you had two engines running in the sim) to control each one of them independently. So say I was to run a double header. When I was done either after climbing a grade or whatnot I would stop the train, unhook the helper, park it on a siding, and deactivate it. Then I could go back to the other engine and continue running from there.

Andrew

I like the idea of mid-train and rear end helpers being independent. I think most people will want the other locomotive(s) to be automatically controlled so as to minimize train control mishaps, liking pulling a drawbar, but, you know, the basic idea is pretty interesting, esp. in a multi-player situation. Just think about how the slack node will move around in the train... I think it'd be pretty cool to watch and darn nerve-racking to do properly w/o busting something.

As for a couple of locos up front, as you described, I don't think anybody has talked about it yet but the idea of being able to choose, right now, which loco cab you are in certainly has appeal.

#60 User is offline   RioGrandeMan 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Inactive

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:07 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 25 April 2010 - 04:05 PM, said:

I like the idea of mid-train and rear end helpers being independent. I think most people will want the other locomotive(s) to be automatically controlled so as to minimize train control mishaps, liking pulling a drawbar, but, you know, the basic idea is pretty interesting, esp. in a multi-player situation. Just think about how the slack node will move around in the train... I think it'd be pretty cool to watch and darn nerve-racking to do properly w/o busting something.

As for a couple of locos up front, as you described, I don't think anybody has talked about it yet but the idea of being able to choose, right now, which loco cab you are in certainly has appeal.

Well here's how I think. If you're stopped, you should be able to then switch engines so that way, say I'm running up a version of Cumbres Pass with Bazza's K27's (and future K37s). When running up the hill it would be the same, such as in MSTS right now. However, once you reach the top, you can split up the train at the top, then control the helpers separately (you'd still only control 1 engine at a time) to move them onto a Wye or a passing track while you finish switching, then keep going on your way. I know it's a bear for me if I have a mid-train helper to move the entire thing around just to get that one engine out, when I could control it separately and make switching activities easier.
One thing I would like to do independently all the time would be whistle signals. That way it would be a little more realistic (plus you could hear more than 1 whistle to represent a train of 2-3+ engines!
I agree too with being able to be in a different cab than the engine you originally choose. Again going back to the Cumbres Pass situation, I think it'd be really cool to be in a mid-train helper's cab to see the rest of the train going along.
Andrew

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users