Elvas Tower: A Quick & Unofficial Open Rails FAQ - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

A Quick & Unofficial Open Rails FAQ A quick look here might answer a couple of questions Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:20 AM

What is Open Rails?

Open Rails is an open source train simulator project, hence the name, OPEN RAILS.

Do we have to refer to it as Open Rails?

Open Rails is the official title. However, it is not unusual in the genre of train simulation for initials to be used when refering to the sim. For instance, Microsoft Train Simulator is refered to as 'MSTS', and sometimes just 'TS'; Rail Simulator.COM's Railworks is often refered to as 'RW' and the earlier version, Kuju Rail Simulator as 'RS'. Time and custom will dictate what Open Rails is unofficially refered to.

Is there a downloadable version available?

The Open Rails project team is assembling a beta which will be announced in due course.

Is Open Rails anything to do with MSTS 1?

Open Rails is not MSTS 1 Train Simulator updated!

Open Rails currently uses some MSTS 1 utitilies, but does not utilise or change any original MSTS 1 code.

Open Rails will eventually be a completely stand alone sim, once suitable utilities have been developed for it.

How will we find out more information about Open Rails?

There is an official Open Rails site under development, plus other means of communication, including forums such as the Open Rails forum here at ET and Uktrainsim, plus other sites.

The official Open Rails web page is here:

http://www.openrails.org/

In due time the FAQ will include links to other Open Rails resources.

Can I use my collection of MSTS locomotives and rollingstock with Open Rails?

The short answer is 'yes', but with some limitations due to the early nature of the development program.

Can I use my collection of MSTS routes with Open Rails?

The short answer is 'yes', but with some limitations due to the early nature of the development program.

Can I use my collection of MSTS activities with Open Rails?

The short answer is 'no', not currently, but this requires official confirmation.

Will I be able to contribute my skills to the development of the Open Rails Project?

That is the intention of the project. More details about this aspect will be made available in the future by the Open Rails team.

Is Open Rails freeware?

Yes.

Will there be official documents and a knowledgebase?

The form of the above will be announced by the Open Rails team.

Documentation is being prepared, there will be a Wiki, too.

Will there be other help available?

Yes, as time goes by Open Rails users will build up their own knowledgebase, which we hope will be freely shared and discussed.

If I want to model for Open Rails, what should I do?

Continue to build as you would for MSTS 1, if it works in MSTS 1 it should work okay in Open Rails. You can use better textures, more about that later. Your documentation should make it clear the model is for Open Rails. (See post #2 for further clarification.)

This is an unofficial Open Rails FAQ

25 Feb 2010 Updated

E&OE.

#2 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:41 PM

FAQ continued.......

What is meant by 'open source'?

This Wikipedia entry provides an explanation of the principles of the 'open source' concept.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Open_source

Explanation: please note that the 'open source' protocols for Open Rails are still being developed by the project team, and will be announced by them in due time.

Are there any other 'open source' programs I can use for my Open Rails projects?

There are many useful freeware 'open source' developed software packages, some are handy tools for Open Rails modelers.

One of the most useful is Paint.NET, a paint program with a lot of power and it's all free. Paint.NET is missing a 'spray can', but apart from that it is a 'must have' tool. Google Paint.NET to find out more information. While you are googling, also look for The Gimp, another freeware paint program. (This modeler uses one, or more, paint programs for his projects.)

(Filler here for ConTEXT Editor.)

Brief explanation: ConTEXT Editor is a freeware text editor suitable for editing ENG, WAG and other data files that require unicode text.

Which coding SDK are being used for the Open Rails project?

"Open Rails is being developed using Microsoft's XNA game platform using C# programming language and .Net framework." (Quote)

How will textures display in Open Rails?

"......Open Rails can only display the resolution of the original ace file. So, if the user has a 1 bit transparency or 8 bit alpha ace file, Open Rails will only display the native resolution of those files -- not full 32 bit color." (Quote)

20 February 2010 (Updated)

#3 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:11 PM

Other posts made in this thread will deleted a few days after posting, mine included. Any subject matter contributed will be added to, or incorporated into, the FAQ. This is to keep the main topic, the FAQ thread, clear of clutter and digressions.

Corrections, additions and suggestions are welcome.

IMO, the current formatting of the FAQ is clear and understandable. The FAQ may be split between posts, because long posts can be difficult to edit.

Cheers Bazza

This post has been edited by captain_bazza: 24 February 2010 - 08:57 AM
Reason for edit:: Updated

#4 User is offline   Falcus 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Inactive

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:43 PM

Ok, so all the utilities to create content for MSTS sounds (From what I read) to still be applicable to OR content, thats cool.

But what about MSTS Specific content editors? Such ConBuilder/Convoi, Activity Generator/Master, RouteRiter, etc etc? And has there been any word from the OR group on whether OR will attempt to tackle any of those functions itself? (Definitely something on my wish list, lol).

Anyway, just a suggestion ^^; Thanks much,
Alex

#5 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 12 March 2010 - 07:40 PM

I'm leaving posts #4 (Questions) and #5 (Answers to the questions) posts in place before incorporating into the FAQ proper.

Thanks.

Cheers Bazza

#6 User is offline   CrisGer 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:01 AM

Looks great, looking forward to beta. I noted better textures for models..will it be possible to have more highly detailed ground textures? One of the weakenesses of MSTS is the fuzzy ground that makes it a tough climb to get an overall detailed look, adding veg and contours can help but i just wondered about the overall approach to textures... and thanks to all who are working on this. Wonderful effort.

#7 User is offline   CrisGer 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:MSTS OR

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:23 AM

thank you Walter, i am pouring over the screenies and it sure looks nice in there :party: thanks for the quick reply and for all the work on this project. Very interested...and will keep an eye out....and will hope for chances to contribute as time goes along.

#8 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:56 PM

NOTE:~ Except as a historical curiosity this particular OR thread is defunct. [So much important development has taken place during the intervening years.]

The thread remains locked.

Cheers
Bazza
Moderator.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users