• You cannot reply to this topic

A British Invasion GWR on the SVR Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   NSL Fan 

• Conductor
  • Group: Fan: Traction Nuts
  • Simulator:MSTS/Railworks

Posted 26 November 2009 - 03:28 PM

Hi Everyone,

Today during Thanksgiving I decided to run the length of the Severn Valley Railway. My choice of Motive power was GWR 1450, my favorite preserved UK Steamer. I will try to run the return trip tonight or tomorrow.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/skarloeyrailway8/GWR14501.jpg

Running through Bewdley

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/skarloeyrailway8/GWR14502.jpg

Leaving Arley

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/skarloeyrailway8/GWR14503.jpg

Running through the landslip. SLOOOW running at 5mph

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/skarloeyrailway8/GWR14504.jpg

At Speed through Eardington Halt, a closed station.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/skarloeyrailway8/GWR14505.jpg

going away from Eardington Halt.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/skarloeyrailway8/GWR14506.jpg

Arriving at Bridgenorth, the End of the line.

Zach

#2 User is offline   keystoneaholic 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 29 November 2009 - 06:57 AM

Hmm. Five Mark 1's must be getting a bit near the limit for a 48xx! I say 48xx because they only got renumberd to the 14xx series when some of the 28xx freight 2-8-0's were converted to oil firing and put into the 48xx series just after the war. When I used to see them it was normally with a load of about 2 auto coaches. For our US readers, that has nothing to do with automobiles, auto coaches were passenger cars with a driving cab so that the locomotive could be at the rear of the train but still be driven from front. In the GWR system there was a mechanical connection through the train to th regulator, the fireman was responsible for control of the reverser. The LMS and Southern had an air control system.

Nice to see a proper loco on the forum, though.

By the way, these little 0-4-2's were quite late being built in the 30's.

Rob.

#3 User is offline   NSL Fan 

• Conductor

Posted 29 November 2009 - 10:55 AM

What you say is very true. 5 Mk1's might be a bit much for her, but she managed just fine on the ride up to Bridgnorth. The engines always had a little more pep than most people thought due to their size. If run right, they could keep pace with some Express runs. There are Autocoaches out there at UKtrainsim and other places, in GWR and BR liveries. but They don't have an operating cab to run backwards, or else I'd run them more often. AS a thought, Most Autocoaches, when two were required, were run with the engine spliced in between, because the linkage to run the locomotive didn't connect and stay connected between 2 autocoaches due to the distance from car to car being too wide.

Out of Curiosity, are you a GWR fan? Or do you prefer another region? :bigboss:

Zach

#4 User is offline   keystoneaholic 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:53 AM

View PostNSL Fan, on 29 November 2009 - 10:55 AM, said:

What you say is very true. 5 Mk1's might be a bit much for her, but she managed just fine on the ride up to Bridgnorth. The engines always had a little more pep than most people thought due to their size. If run right, they could keep pace with some Express runs. There are Autocoaches out there at UKtrainsim and other places, in GWR and BR liveries. but They don't have an operating cab to run backwards, or else I'd run them more often. AS a thought, Most Autocoaches, when two were required, were run with the engine spliced in between, because the linkage to run the locomotive didn't connect and stay connected between 2 autocoaches due to the distance from car to car being too wide.

Out of Curiosity, are you a GWR fan? Or do you prefer another region? :bigboss:

Zach

I was brought up in Plymouth. At the time, local trains between Plymouth and Saltash or Liskeard were formed with two corridor connected 70' auto coaches, a 64xx pannier tank and a further pair of auto coaches, so the loco was in the middle of the train. The problem with the regulator linkage was not so much that it became diconnected but the amount of 'slop' in it. It pretty much seemed to be full regulator or nothing. The local services on the Tavistock line were either one or two auto coaches with a 45xx/4575 prarie tank or a 48xx/14xx tank.

The auto trains were often refered to as 'motor trains', a throwback to the steam rail motor cars they had replaced. In fact, somewhere in my collection I have a season ticket between Plymouth and Dockyard Halt issued to me in 1966 on Great Western Railway ticket stock (bear in mind that the GWR had ceased to exist in 1947!) proclaiming that it was valid in '1st class or rail motor car'.

As far as the 0-4-2 tanks were concerned, they were quite strong little engines, and with 5' 2" drivers could be pretty speedy when necessary. The problem was more likely to be one of adhesion rather than a lack of power.

Rob.

#5 User is offline   NSL Fan 

• Conductor

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:20 PM

Interesting... :blush2:

I knew there was some difficulty with Auto Coaches put together, but wasn't quite sure what it was. Thanks For Clearing that up. And 4 Autocoaches! That was probably a sight! :bigboss:

Zach

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users