Views
Downloads
Support Topic
Click here to visit support topic
SS. Alexander Hamilton
Hudson River Day Line Steamship

Model by Chris Gerlach
Texture by Chris Gerlach
Shape Edits and Shipfitting by Jeff Farquar (MasterChief)

This classic sidewheel steamship was the last of her kind to serve on the Hudson River, built by the Hudson River Day Line and operated for decades she carried passengers up the river and back. Her beauty was notable and her nickname was 'The Swan" for her manner of gliding along that famous waterway.

This model is intended for the Tri State Route but can also be sued for a number of similar ships that served across the United States and in Canada between the 1870s and the 1950s. Most were wooden so few have survived but the Hamilton remains one of the most beautiful.

Rights and Permissions:

You are welcome to repaint and otherwise convert this model as you wish, however I request that no commercial use be made. Also there is no liability promised or given, you use at your own risk. This Model may NOT be included in an payware package or any other content piracy. Use of my models by any such pirates will result in immediate and severe legal action. Otherwise all members of the community in good standing are welcome to use and or repaint my models as long as any alterations are of good quality and authenticity. Fantasy versions are NOt welcome. This is then by all purposes an Open license model with only the one restriction that it may not be sold or used as source for a model for sale in any format or form.

Due to high poly count, will work best in Open Rails. A driveable version will also be released with an authentic sound set and custom cab view. It will however work in MSTS. It is thanks to Jeff Farquar (Master Chief) that she will work in both, he was able to adjust the shape file and achieve miracles with the poly count.

I owe my humble modeling skills to many wonderful teachers and masters of the craft, including Tim Muir, Capt Bazza (Barry Munro), The Grindre, Jeff Farquar, John Fleming, and others. It is due to their generous sharing and help I have been able to master TSM enough to create models of this quality and I hope to continue to share and give back as I am able, with much gratitude.

TSM SOURCE FILE is included. If you do make new variations or convert I would appreciate an advance copy and some notice of it. thank you.

Chris Gerlach (CrisGer)
Elvas Tower

chrisgerlach9@yahoo.com

History and Statistics:

Operator:

Hudson River Day Line 1924-1960
Circle Line 1960-1971

Route: Hudson River between New York City and Albany, New York (until 1948)
Builder: Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation
In service: 1924
Out of service: 1971
Fate: Sank in storm, November 1977
Notes: Ruins still partially visible however wreckage is within the security region of Naval Weapons Station Earle

General characteristics

Type: Passenger steamboat
Length: 349 ft 5 in (106.50 m)[1]
Beam: 77 ft (23 m)
Draught: 8 ft 4 in (2.54 m)
Draft: 13 ft 6 in (4.11 m)
Decks: 4 total, 3 complete and 1 partial
Installed power: Four Scotch marine boilers
Propulsion: Incline triple expansion engine
Capacity: 3,000

The Hudson River Day Line used Alexander Hamilton to transport passengers along the Hudson River between New York City and Albany, New York. In her later years the run was shortened to a turnaround in Poughkeepsie. The steamship was built by the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation in 1924. The steamship operated from 1924 to 1971, first running with other Day Line Steamers, including the Peter Stuyvesant until the 1960s, when the company was purchased by the Circle Line, and became a one boat operation. She was over 300 feet in length and was built to handle more than 3,000 passengers. Her replacement was the passenger vessel Day-liner, which took over the run. Alexander Hamilton spent time at the South Street Seaport and Brooklyn Navy Yard before being moved to Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey. In 1977, the Alexander Hamilton was moved to a temporary berth along the east side of the Navy pier in Middletown Township. During a storm, she caught fire and sank next to the pier on November 8, 1977.

Design

The steamboat was a rare type of side-wheeler because of its engine system. Four Scotch marine boilers delivered steam to an incline triple expansion engine that turned a crankshaft attached to feathering paddle-wheels on the port and starboard sides. This system propelled the boat during its cruises. In other words, it was a paddle steamer with the paddle-wheels on the side as opposed to a stern-wheeler, which has one wheel at the stern. She was the last of the great Day Line "side-wheelers", and perhaps, the last of her kind to ply the Hudson River.

http://www.practical...amilton-113200/

Download File
Page 1 of 1

Comments

There were no comments found for this file

Page 1 of 1

Download Statistics

Total Files
Total Categories
Total Authors
Total Downloads
Latest File:
ORTS upgrade for some locomotives - WIP by Weter  (submitted 11 April 2024 - 12:33 PM)

23 user(s) active in the past 15 minutes
22 guests, 0 Anonymous Users