2.94MB (Estimated Download Times)
Views
Downloads
Support Topic
Click here to visit support topic
RMS ALAUNIA

RMS ALAUNIA

Cunard Steamship Company Ocean Liner

Model created from an original shape shared generously by Ron Picard, extensively edited and improved by Chris Gerlach, Jeff Farquar, and with advice from Tim Muir. The final shape was again extensively worked on by Chris Gerlach and the textures are by Chris. Historic data from online sources and Cunard records and photographs. John Fleming gave me some of the first help on ship building and shared some of his textures, and Tim Muir also helped me learn much about this craft. Jeff Farquar (Master chief) saved this hull and much else for a previous ship project and created the fine anchor that graces this ship's brow. Capt Bazza has been a guiding light for my work shipbuilding and Justin helped with plans for the 3 Islander that helped develop these ships.

This model is high poly and was created for use on the Tri State Open Rails Route, and will probably not load into MSTS. You may repaint and convert this model as you wish as long as this READ Me acompanies the result. I would appreciate a advance notice and info if you intend to re use her.

No liabity is offered or given, you use at your own risk. No commerical Use may be made in any form of this model.

Chris Gerlach (CrisGer)
Elvas Tower
June 2015

Chrisgerlach9@yahoo.com

Data:

Career
Name: RMS Alaunia
Operator: Cunard Line
Port of registry: Liverpool, United Kingdom
Builder: Scotts Shipbuilding and Engineering Company, Greenock
Launched: 9 June 1913
Maiden voyage: 27 December 1913
Fate: Sunk by a mine on 19 October 1916 off of Hastings, East Sussex. Two crew members killed.

General characteristics

Type: Ocean liner
Tonnage: 13,405 gross tons
Decks: Four
Propulsion: Twin propellers, Quadruple-expansion, eight
Speed: 15 knots (28 km/h)
Capacity: 520 Cabin, 1,540 3rd class

RMS Alaunia was an ocean liner owned by the Cunard Line. It was built in 1913 at Greenrock and measured 13,405 tons gross. She was one of the three ships Cunard ordered Scotts Shipbuilding and Engineering Company to build. These three ships were RMS Andania, Alaunia, and RMS Aurania. The Alaunia was the second of these three ships. She and her sisters had only 2nd class and 3rd class.

Alaunia was launched on 9 June 1913, and made her maiden voyage on 27 December 1913. When World War I began, she was requisitioned as a troopship. The HMS Alaunia was the first Cunard ship to transport Canadian troops. She was sent in the Gallipoli campaign by the summer of 1915. Then she worked on carrying troops to Bombay later the same year. She returned to the North Atlantic and carried troops from Canada and America in 1916.

On 19 September 1916, when she made her voyage from London to New York, she struck a mine on 19 October 1916 off the Royal Sovereign Lightship of Hastings, East Sussex laid earlier that day by SM UC-16 After attempts to beach the ship and tow her to shore with tugs, the captain realized the ship was lost and finally gave the order to abandon ship. Although the Alaunia's sinking could not be stopped, only two crew members died. Today, the wreck of the Alaunia lies on her port side in the English Channel in 15 metres of water.

Download File
Page 1 of 1

Comments

There were no comments found for this file

Page 1 of 1

Toggle random files Random Files

Screenshot

File Name: SS ARTIC
In Category: Vehicles
Screenshot

File Name: C&S Boxcars - Detail Upgrade 1
In Category: NG Boxcars

Download Statistics

Total Files
Total Categories
Total Authors
Total Downloads
Latest File:
ORTS upgrade for some locomotives - WIP by Weter  (submitted 11 April 2024 - 12:33 PM)

21 user(s) active in the past 15 minutes
20 guests, 0 Anonymous Users