Elvas Tower: List of useful magazine and related resources - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

List of useful magazine and related resources Model mags, railfan mags, magazine indexes Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Post icon  Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:55 PM

Place holder.

#2 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:36 AM

B&O Modeler

This is a free .pdf publication from the B&O Historical Society that can be read / downloaded from their web pages. The links to all past issues is here.

Publication is irregular and often does not occur in calendar order (i.e., they might publish the May-June issue before the Jan-Feb issue simply because it was finished first)

While not much of a fan of the B&O, I find the publication quite useful because overall quality of information and photos, much of which can be applied to rail sims. Disk being cheap, I download every issue. Also, many of the photos have been reduced in size for screen presentation within the page format... but the original photo, which may be much larger is in there somewhere, so... if you see something that looks interesting, click on the image, do a copy / paste into a photo editor. Quite likely the natural size of pasted image will be at least 2x larger.

#3 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:40 AM

The Keystone Modeler.

This is a free .pdf publication from the PRR Historical Society that can be read / downloaded from their web pages. The links to all past issues is here..

Publication is irregular and often does not occur in calendar order (i.e., they might publish the May-June issue before the Jan-Feb issue simply because it was finished first)

While not much of a fan of the PRR, I find the publication quite useful because overall quality of information and photos, much of which can be applied to rail sims. Disk being cheap, I download every issue. Also, many of the photos have been reduced in size for screen presentation within the page format... but the original photo, which may be much larger is in there somewhere, so... if you see something that looks interesting, click on the image, do a copy / paste into a photo editor. Quite likely the natural size of pasted image will be at least 2x larger.

#4 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:48 AM

The Seaboard-Coast Line Modeler.

This is a free .pdf publication from the joint ACL-SEA Historical Society that can be read / downloaded from their web pages. The links to more recent past issues is here

While not much of a fan of the southeast roads, I find the publication useful because overall quality of information and photos, much of which can be applied to rail sims. Disk being cheap, I download every issue. Also, some of the photos have been reduced in size for screen presentation within the page format... but the original photo, which may be much larger is in there somewhere, so... if you see something that looks interesting, click on the image, do a copy / paste into a photo editor. Quite likely the natural size of pasted image will be at least 2x larger.

#5 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:56 AM

Railway Prototype Cyclopedia

I regard the RPC as the best of the best as far as historical oriented Rail publications. Around 100 pages of coated paper in a Perfect Binding. Most pages have one or two photos, almost always in page width size. Text is very much the secondary feature -- these are photo books and as such are invaluable resources.

The index is here.

Pat and Ed, the publishers, realized they could buy good photos ($10+ each), organize them by topic, publish 150 of them, and earn enough to buy another issue worth, and so that's what they do.

Published issues are almost always about steam era freight cars, but occasionally passenger cars appear as well. Topics may be broad-minded, such as USRA Wood Sided Boxcars, or arcane like a 66 pages in a comprehensive guide to brakewheels.

I own all issues and I do make sure to buy each new release.

HIGHLY recommended.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users