• You cannot reply to this topic

ZERO TOLERANCE FOR USELESS POSTS Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

View PostCommodoreLXIV, on 14 November 2012 - 01:44 PM, said:

Why can't there be a forum category solely for useless posts? I admire you're trying to keep order, but I feel a little restricted in what I can say. Also, 3.

The Hash House forum is designed for 'trash' posts or off topic for anything not related to train stuff.

:sweatingbullets:

#12 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

View PostCommodoreLXIV, on 14 November 2012 - 01:44 PM, said:

Why can't there be a forum category solely for useless posts? I admire you're trying to keep order, but I feel a little restricted in what I can say. Also, 3.

In using the word "useless" we mean posts that have no interesting content for any other reader. Examples include "Me too" and "Nice screenshot", etc., etc.

If you think about it, those are really not anything more than muttering to one's self. Nobody gets any value out of reading those.

So why bother being all huffy about them? Because too many new members were showing up who only wanted to download things (usually a lot of things) who also had no intention of sharing anything in return... no posts, no models, nada.

Why should we pay for bandwidth and storage for people who only take?

Why should guys who share the models they make continue to do so if nobody gives anything back (e.g., interesting things to read)?

It made no sense... so some years ago (after being burned by an expensive bandwidth surcharge) the admins here discussed the issues and decided to set up download limits; What we learned very quickly is people who only want to take stuff will post twenty "Nice Screenshot" after twenty different images, just to get around the download restrictions. That was the incentive for creating a no tolerance policy for useless posts: try and game the system w/ B.S. and you're out for good. And long time members will notice such posts and inform the admins.

The last adjustment was the decision to lift the download limits to anybody who (1) made a $20 donation or (2) has been a stellar contribution to the board in other ways.

The end result is we monitor what new members post to ensure we're not being taken advantage of. As post counts increase, so does the amount you can download. The shy, silent type? Donate $20. Make and upload useful models -- basically share yourself and we'll share back. We're all willing to pay the expenses for that.

#13 User is offline   CGW121 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:02 PM

One of the things I value is information. Most of what I need for my interests I have, so downloading is not a priority with me. Keeping the bs posts to a minimum is one of the reasons I trust this board. There are boards for politics, or other useless stuff go there if you want to post that stuff. Lets keep this board what it is, a decent place to discuss the different aspects of train simming.

#14 User is offline   That Genset Foamer 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:00 AM

I assume spamming a thread with "WHEN IZ THIS ROUT GONNA BE RELEASD" like...certain train-simmers I have dealt with also counts as "useless". Thankfully, I haven't seen that particular individual's username turn up.

Anyway, I've actually got useful stuff to add, so I'll go see how my routebuilding threads are doing...

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users