File Updated: 29 Dec 2010
File Category: Beta Test Files

Union Pacific M10000 "City of Salina"
M10000 BETA B.0
January 5th, 2008
Original model and Textures by Frank Musick
Physics created by Bob Bouduin

SOME HISTORY:
Overshadowed by the Burlington's famous shovel nose Zephyrs, the M10000 was actually the "first" of the modern streamliners powered by internal combustion. The prime mover was a Winton / Electro-Motive Corporation "distillate" engine, not the diesel unit used in all later passenger trains. The "City of Salina" appeared too early for Winton's diesel power
plant, which wasn't ready for production. Built by Pullman Standard, the train was constructed of aluminum alloy using technology developed for aircraft. The entire three unit train weighed just 85 tons or roughly the same as one heavyweight Pullman.

Because of the extremely light weight, the distillate engine only needed to develop 600 HP. This was more than enough to move the train, it's crew, 116 passengers, and 25,000 pounds of mail towards 100 mph. A normal heavyweight train, the standard passenger equipment of the time, required locomotives capable of developing 4,000 to 5,000 horsepower. Such trains were quite expensive to operate, especially in the Depression era. The lightweight and low power requirements of the M10000 translated into huge savings for the Union Pacific. The train had a range of 1200 miles.

Like the early Zephyr's, the "City of Salina" was a low profile, lightweight, articulated trainset. The articulation saved even more weight by reducing the number of trucks required
to support the train. A three car train of conventional design would require six trucks. The M10000 used only four. A standard heavy weight train would also have required a locomotive. The new streamliner had it's motive power in the lead car. The distillate engine shared the "power car", as it was called, with a Railway Post Office and baggage compartment.

The "City of Salina" was also equipped with washroom facilities in every car, including the power car. The seats were more like those in a modern aircraft than a railroad train. Each
reclining seat had a footrest and a folding tray. Carry on luggage was stowed beneath the seating. All the cars were lit by indirect lighting hidden in the ceiling and air conditioned.

Unlike the rather plain passenger equipment typical of the period the "City of Salina" was bright armour yellow. This color, very visible in all kinds of conditions from a distance
was trimmed with red and accented with golden brown on the roof and underside. To augment the noticeibility of the bright coloring the power car was equipped with a vertical search
light that could be seen for miles. This not only brought attention to the new train, it served as a warning to motorists at the many rural grade crossings the train would encounter in service.

The trains interior was styled by the wife of the roads chairman, Marie Harriman. In a design that foreshadows the work of Dreyfus and Kuhler she chose bands of color separated
by aluminum strips. The coach floor was covered using cork tiles with a runner of carpet down the center. Seats were a golden brown suggesting the exterior trim. Each car had a
offset entrance vestibule with the passenger area on one side and the washrooms on the other.

The little train made it's debut on February 12th, 1934. It consisted of the power car, a coach, and a coach-buffet. The trailing car is often mistaken for an observation lounge,
probably because of it's rounded rear, a design feature of many of the later observation lounge cars. On the M10000 the rear compartment actually contained a buffet kitchen. Hot
meals were prepared ahead of time and kept warm by a steam table. The weight savings of the new train were also apparent here. All the dinnerware was made of light weight aluminum. The dishware was an early form melamine called "Beetleware" making the buffet several hundred pounds lighter then contemporary equivalents.

This model of the M10000 hopes to capture the look and feel of it's first years in service, a time when the little train and its competitors promised a brighter tomorrow.

Original File Name = M10000.zip

Click here to download this file

#2 User is offline   dantheman 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:33 AM

This zip is not working for me. (it will not open) :lol:

#3 User is offline   Chile Bill 

• 1946-2011 R.I.P.
  • Group: Status: R.I.P. or just Retired

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:33 AM

View Postdantheman, on Feb 4 2009, 02:33 PM, said:

This zip is not working for me. (it will not open) :lol:

I have hidden this file and asked that Frank replace it. It is in fact a corrupted ZIP.

#4 User is offline   Chile Bill 

• 1946-2011 R.I.P.
  • Group: Status: R.I.P. or just Retired

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:31 PM

View PostChile Bill, on Feb 4 2009, 04:33 PM, said:

I have hidden this file and asked that Frank replace it. It is in fact a corrupted ZIP.

Frank has sent in a replacement file that unzips OK now. Give this another shot

#5 User is offline   hiball3985 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:00 PM

I just got around to down loading today, the file is fine now. Screen shot posted

Jim

#6 Inactive_Solidsnake2234_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

Looks interesting. I always did want to see the M10000 on MSTS.

#7 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:11 AM

Yes, it works for me as well. Cool model.

The loco's windows are all transparent and you can see right through to the track and ground. Needs a cabin.

It was a bit to set up but in does seem to run fine.

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/oldstry.gif

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users