Elvas Tower: That ScalabilityGroup Token - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

That ScalabilityGroup Token Openrails may not use it but is it ever needed? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   David Webb 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails, ZR

Posted 27 March 2023 - 03:29 AM

The first token of interest found in '*.sms' files is 'ScalabilityGroup'. MSTS seemed to have used it as a top level priority flag, with levels 5, 3, 1 and 0. From the documentation in MSTS file 'genfreightwag1.sms', I guess that MSTS uses the sounds specified in one of the lower numbered groups when the sound system is overloaded.

Now, from these pages, I get the impression that the ScalabilityGroup is ignored by OpenRails. Is this correct? If so can I always ignore it and just assume that the highest value group in an SMS definition is always used? I presume this may be because of the improved processing power of modern sound cards.

And if anyone with a suitable background is reading these pages, the format of the SMS files seems very odd, especially given the sensible logic of the signal script files. Is this because it is based on some very old models of a state machine, some other abstract computer object or am I missing something?

D.

#2 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 27 March 2023 - 04:58 AM

Yes, the ScalabiltyGroup parameter is ignored by OR, and only the first ScalabiltyGroup in the .sms file is considered.
The .sms files syntax is indeed odd and limited: it's the syntax MSTS uses and, apart adding new discrete triggers and few other improvements, it's what OR uses.

#3 User is online   Weter 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 27 March 2023 - 06:38 AM

Hello, David.
AFAIK, SL5-3-1 are sound sets of descent quantity/simplicity gradation, intended for each of "sound quantity" slider's steps on MSTS sound options screen.
SL0 were sound set, played, when given stock unit is spawned within AI train: more simplified, few sounds, but with special features, as sounding horn, when on particular distance to player's point of view.

With ORTS, both player's and AI rolling stock use the same sound sets. Furthermore, external sounds are controllable blended into internal.
However, in ORTS options we have two sliders: sound quantity and percent of blending.
Hence, SL0 is definitely ignored, while I can't be sure about SL3&1, as our sound designers usually didn't care for scaling sound and made only SL5.

Steam4me site offers the very good tutorial, which have explained everything for me 20years ago. Try to read it. I'd say, it's quite simple and consistent.
(what I can't say about sigscr logic yet) So, I'm pretty sure: since sigscr C+like code is easy for You - there wouldn't any problems with 3 SMS trigger types.
Otherwise - don't hesitate to ask more here.

#4 User is offline   David Webb 

• Apprentice

Posted 27 March 2023 - 09:09 AM

Csantucci and Welter, thanks for the feedback.

I suspect that Welter is referring to the text by Rolf Hagen, which I found very useful (https://msts.steam4m...s/sms_doku.html). My problem was the ScalabilityGroup bit which talks about the 'sound attitude'. Probably a case of 'lost in translation'.

Also while I am writing - somewhere I saw a 'thank you' to whoever converted OpenRails to OpenAL sound. I have not been able to find the reference again but does anyone remember who that was? If they do, I would like to contact the original programmer for some advice.

Thanks again.

David.

#5 User is online   Weter 

Posted 27 March 2023 - 09:14 AM

R.Hagen...
Must be so.
This part?

The Scalability Groups, the three of which are SL5, 3 and 1, determine which sounds are played during which sound attitude of the TS: SL5 high, SL3 medium and SL1 low.

Since English isn't my native language, I happyly have guessed that right: not "attitude", but, more accurate - "setting".

#6 User is offline   David Webb 

• Apprentice

Posted 27 March 2023 - 11:47 PM

View PostWeter, on 27 March 2023 - 09:14 AM, said:

R.Hagen...
Must be so.
This part?

Yes, this part.

Thanks for "setting" me straight.

If only my German was as good ... .

#7 User is online   Weter 

Posted 28 March 2023 - 06:56 AM

There was noted: "translated by Yury Sos"
Your Linux programming is good, so no problem.
I find the rest English text good and easy to understand,
So I hope, it will be helpful for Your project.
ET is intended for knowledge sharing.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users