• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Should there be two systems requirments for OR? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   P Escue 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS, Trainz, ORTS

Posted 18 March 2023 - 02:17 PM

I have a question for the developers. I was discussing with a friend here about Open Rails and graphics. I was pointing out that with Open Rails going to Monogame’s graphic engine, most things we currently have access to don’t use it fully. This got me looking at the system requirements for Open Rails, which are:

Processor : 2.0 GHz (32 or 64-bit)
Memory : minimum = 0.5 GB, recommended = 4 GB
Hard drive : 50 MB (but models require lots of space. The 6 routes in Microsoft Train Simulator require 1.4 GB)
Graphics : any compatible with Windows 7 upwards. (more than 0.3GB graphics RAM recommended)

This seems like the recommendations are for running mostly the MSTS available items and a little more, which is good because we need to continue supporting that. However, I believe there should be two sets of system requirements, one that is current, for anyone wanting to do MSTS level items and another for Open Rails only projects that take full advantage of the Monogame’s graphic engine. A developer’s graphic guide for people who want to build routes, engines, and other graphic items would also be helpful. Just a basic outline would help. Monogame's site doesn't give much and is mainly for programmers.

From looking at some of the things that have been developed with Monogame, such as “Be the Astronaut” exhibit computer displays and game was done using the Monogame graphic engine, and it looks pretty good.

Be the Astronaut
YouTube Be the Astronaut

Look at the Mars rover game (the YouTube link above, about a minute into the video).

I’m not saying everyone should stop developing for MSTS level, but we should also start creating to show what 1.5.x can do. Does anyone know what the graphic limits are on TSRE?

Phil

#2 User is online   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 18 March 2023 - 02:27 PM

Hello.
Usual approach for many game specifications, printed on boxes:
System requirements:
CPU Xxx (minimal) / Yyy (recommended)
And so on.