Elvas Tower: MGfx...why?...when (nov 2022)..what does a user do now? - Elvas Tower

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MGfx...why?...when (nov 2022)..what does a user do now? I have looked everywhere, here, gtihub, blueprint...no info!! Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   alteo80 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:open rails ny

Posted 23 March 2023 - 04:30 PM

View PostEldorado.Railroad, on 23 March 2023 - 11:58 AM, said:

Chris,

Yes.

Quid pro quo.

In exchange for, first, a version of Open Rails post release 1.51 with all of the 64bit/GPU improvements with "Z-fighting" NOT requiring '.net 6" installed.

Sending .fx files to be compiled into .mgfx is rather fruitless. It implies the use of ".net 6" at runtime. This was the whole argument prima facie.

Steve

thank you to Eldorado.Railroad for putting the subject on the table, many of us think like you. What patience in the face of lunar responses... greetings from France.

#42 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 23 March 2023 - 07:24 PM

Yes, the great patience.
The example for everyone, how to leas civil discussions.

#43 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 27 March 2023 - 07:44 AM

I have uploaded ORNYMG 140.5, which enables interested people to modify and compile the .fx shader files.
Here are the instructions to use the feature, as written in the Readme_ShaderCompile.txt file which is in subfolder ShaderSources in the ORNYMG pack.

How to compile the Shader sources

This is neeeded only if you want to create your own version of the Shaders (*.fx files).
Starting from ORNYMG 140.5, you will find in folder ShaderSources (which is within OR_NewYear_MG folder) the original Shader sources (*.fx files).
The compiled shaders (*.mgfx files) are in folder Content, as in the official versions of OR.

Steps to be performed only once

1) Check if you have .Net 6.0 SDK installed (prerequisite): go to your System disk (usually C:) and to folder Program Files\dotnet\sdk and check
if you have there a subfolder named 6.0 or higher.
If there is one subfolder like that, you have .Net 6.0 SDK installed. If this is the case, skip following step 2).
2) If not, download .Net 6.0 SDK from here https://dotnet.micro.../en-us/download and install it.

Steps to be performed every time you want to modify the standard compiled shaders

1) Edit the Shader source files within folder ShaderSources according to your desire
2) Double-click on ShaderCompile.bat within folder ShaderSources. All .mgfx files will be generated and will replace the ones within the Content folder.

If you want to avoid to do these latter two steps for every new ORNYMG version you download and unzip, you can copy your modified .fx files and .mgfx files from the
related folder within OR_NewYear_MG to backup folders (you can do this only once), and simply copy them back every time you have unzipped your new ORNYMG version.
If you use this faster procedure, previously verify that there haven't been official updates to the .fx and .mgfx files you have modified and saved.

Explanation further improved on April 7th, 2023

#44 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 27 March 2023 - 12:41 PM

Once again (with pleasure), THANK YOU Carlo for all the work you do for all of us!
:clapping:

#45 User is offline   alteo80 

• Hostler

Posted 06 April 2023 - 04:08 AM

has anyone already tested the method to compile its fx files?

#46 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 06 April 2023 - 06:11 AM

The above http://www.elvastowe...post__p__295571 explanation was indeed confuse in some places. I have now revised it and hope it is clear now. I'll modify also the readme within the ORNYMG pack.

#47 User is offline   alteo80 

• Hostler

Posted 06 April 2023 - 02:19 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 06 April 2023 - 06:11 AM, said:

The above http://www.elvastowe...post__p__295571 explanation was indeed confuse in some places. I have now revised it and hope it is clear now. I'll modify also the readme within the ORNYMG pack.

the procedure to compile does not work, when I launch it displays a red error message, impossible to find the files etc BLABLA. sincerely has anyone tested? I give up I go back to 114 im bored... I will live with z fighting it is preferable to the rest

#48 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 07 April 2023 - 08:18 AM

View Postalteo80, on 06 April 2023 - 02:19 PM, said:

the procedure to compile does not work, when I launch it displays a red error message, impossible to find the files etc BLABLA. sincerely has anyone tested? I give up I go back to 114 im bored... I will live with z fighting it is preferable to the rest

alte80, I don't think you have the correct attitude towards people spending their time providing to the community a free train simulator.
Coming to the technical issue, in my computer the procedure works, but I found out that this is due to the fact that such tests on my computer are biased, because I have the whole OR development environment, which provides an additional file.
I have now tried to provide something that works also if such development environment is absent. So I have uploaded ORNYMG 140.5, which I hope that it at last provides a working kit. By the way the procedure is even simpler, because, as can be read here http://www.elvastowe...post__p__295571 (I have updated that post), now it is no more needed to install the mgfxc compiler, because it is reinstalled ("restored" in dotnet jargon) every time a new compilation is done.
I'd like to get a feedback if this works now.

#49 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 07 April 2023 - 09:17 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 07 April 2023 - 08:18 AM, said:

alte80, I don't think you have the correct attitude towards people spending their time providing to the community a free train simulator.

:thumbup3:

Regards,
Scott

#50 User is offline   alteo80 

• Hostler

Posted 07 April 2023 - 02:52 PM

to answer Carlo, it works but you have to download .NET Core 3.1 Runtime in addition to the sdk.unfortunately other problems persist...I still have the same thought as Eldorado.Railroad...thanks for the efforts.

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users