• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Animating rods and wheels in 3D cab? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 22 February 2023 - 06:51 PM

As my journey into 3D cabs continues I've found it more enjoyable to sit in the cab and operate the controls while looking out the side window of my steam engines rather than using the headout views. As we know we can't have animated wheels or rods in the 3D cab shape which unfortunately spoils the experience somewhat.

Most of the time a running board obscures much of the motion but like in real life we have to lean out further to see around a bend and then the problem rears its ugly head again. I've mused over several ideas to get around this like making the motion a separate locomotive but that ended up being too cumbersome.

My suggestion would be, if possible and if people support it, to allow a "motion shape" placed in the 3D cab folder that animates like the main shape does. Nominally this shape would consist of just the frame, wheels and motion which would be left out of the cab shape and when rendered together give the full locomotive with the parts moving, but could possibly include the bogies and their wheels as well.

Of course this shape would be optional and up to the modeller to implement.

Thoughts on this, anyone?

#2 User is offline   superheatedsteam 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 23 February 2023 - 03:08 AM

Sounds like a good idea. It could be added like a FreightAnim() which already has Visibility ( "Cab3D" ) as an option.

Just need someone to code it.

Cheers,

Marek.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users