• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Honk Wait Depart Feature Suggestion Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   gdineshnathan 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 14 February 2023 - 05:13 AM

Still in many countries, passenger/freight train use the horn before departure from a full stop. For example, in crowded places like in India, it is mandatory to blast the horn to signal for multiple reasons, inform the passengers that train is about to depart, signal the guard who usually stays in the last coach of the train that the starter signal has been granted and ask for his permission, apprise trespassers to move away.

In OpenRails, honk is possible via waiting points for setting such as level crossing etc. However, what I am expecting is that for an AI train to perform the following sequence at each full stoppage,
"honk - wait for X seconds - move train".

Is this a valid and a possible proposal? I am unsure about the popularity to this feature but would be far more appealing.

Here is a short video for what I describe: - should be interesting to watch. :)
https://youtu.be/dqBJwyeSF-s?t=15

Here is the link to the trello card. If you like the proposal kindly vote here to show your support.

Thanks

#2 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 14 February 2023 - 09:00 AM

View Postgdineshnathan, on 14 February 2023 - 05:13 AM, said:

Is this a valid and a possible proposal? I am unsure about the popularity to this feature but would be far more appealing.

Interesting idea.

If this gathers some support, would you create a card on our Trello Road Map, please, so that it doesn't get forgotten?

#3 User is offline   gdineshnathan 

• Hostler

Posted 14 February 2023 - 10:12 AM

View Postcjakeman, on 14 February 2023 - 09:00 AM, said:

If this gathers some support, would you create a card on our Trello Road Map, please, so that it doesn't get forgotten?

Yes, of course. I will do that. I hope it gets popular.

#4 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 14 February 2023 - 11:37 AM

We used to do this in MSTS. Since the AI trains used the SL 0 setting, the line " Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Inc_Past 0.1 PlayOneShot ... ") could be used to sound the horn.When I realized that OR didn't use it, I deleted that line.
It would be really nice.

#5 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer

Posted 14 February 2023 - 02:13 PM

Keep in mind that in North America, when a train starts from a stop, the not only does the engineer sound two short blasts on the whistle or horn (three if going backwards), but he turns on the bell and lets it ring until either the train is clear of the station and any public grade crossings, or until the train accelerates past 15 MPH. Likewise, when coming to a stop the engineer will usually sound the horn or whistle on approach and turn on the bell until the train has come to a complete stop. After coming to a complete stop, he will "set and center" the consist--apply the brakes fully and move the locomotive's reverser to the center or neutral position--and communicates this to the other on-board crew members with a single short blast on the horn or whistle, indicating that it's okay to load and unload passengers.

...This reminds me that we should make a new requirement: Loading/unloading of any kind--passengers, freight or fuel (exception: water troughs)--cannot commence unless the locomotive, train or consist is "set and centered."

Trello Card Link

#6 User is offline   Niknak 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:OR NewYear MG

Posted 15 February 2023 - 02:23 AM

I very much enjoy the present facility of having AI trains sound their horns at crossings and would welcome this additional feature.

#7 User is offline   gdineshnathan 

• Hostler

Posted 15 February 2023 - 09:15 AM

View PostLaci1959, on 14 February 2023 - 11:37 AM, said:

We used to do this in MSTS. Since the AI trains used the SL 0 setting, the line " Variable_Trigger ( Speed_Inc_Past 0.1 PlayOneShot ... ") could be used to sound the horn.When I realized that OR didn't use it, I deleted that line.
It would be really nice.

With this, the horn is sounded only when the consist moves, isn't it?

#8 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 15 February 2023 - 11:47 AM

View Postgdineshnathan, on 15 February 2023 - 09:15 AM, said:

With this, the horn is sounded only when the consist moves, isn't it?

Actually, yes. Since playback is PlayOneShot, it only plays once at startup.
Unfortunately, OR only uses the SL5 setting for guided and AI trains, not sure if it's a good solution to put it in the SL5 setting. It will always sound when the train moves. But as they described the American usage, it can still be good.

#9 User is offline   Niknak 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:OR NewYear MG

Posted 16 February 2023 - 02:41 AM

Would this facility need to be added on an act-by-act basis as the present AI horn at crossings is, or would it be a generic fix that affects all routes and acts?

#10 User is offline   gdineshnathan 

• Hostler

Posted 16 February 2023 - 09:18 AM

I am not sure as how it would be implemented. In my mind, I expect a check box in the Simulation setting of OR. If ticked, it asks for the wait time.Then this sould affect all AI trains in the activity. I don't know if this is feasible. Probably someone more senior in OR development could answer this better.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users