• You cannot reply to this topic

ORMT - Sessions Open Rails Management Team Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 January 2023 - 04:09 AM

The Open Rails Management Team (ORMT) meets on-line at regular intervals to review progress and priorities.

In practice, much of the work that we do as ORMT involves keeping the systems running smoothly so that there are few obstacles to hinder the Project Team from improving Open Rails.

The next on-line session is on 4th Feb and the Project Team has asked us to consider:
1. Z-Fighting
2. A policy for derailments

I am posting here so that our supporters who are not part of the Project Team can see that the project is under constant review. (The members of the Project Team are listed here. Do let me know if there are any omissions.)

#2 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 29 January 2023 - 07:04 AM

cjakeman, on 28 January 2023 - 04:09 AM, said:

The Open Rails Management Team (ORMT) meets on-line at regular intervals to review progress and priorities.

In practice, much of the work that we do as ORMT involves keeping the systems running smoothly so that there are few obstacles to hinder the Project Team from improving Open Rails.

The next on-line session is on 4th Feb and the Project Team has asked us to consider:1. Z-Fighting2. A policy for derailments

I am posting here so that our supporters who are not part of the Project Team can see that the project is under constant review. (The members of the Project Team are listed here. Do let me know if there are any omissions.)

Hi Chris,

Thanks for all you guys do.

Z-Fighting would probably be number one on my list - anything flashing is a big immersion killer for me. I've dabbled with DTG's TS - where NOTHING flashes - from a strictly visual aspect - it does so much better and proves it is possible.

As for derailments - personally - I never got the moral objections to seeing some pixels bounce around the screen - but - we do have far more important things to tackle before we worry about the extras like derailments.

Regards,
Scott

#3 User is online   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2023 - 08:53 AM

The code should allow for derailments caused by poor train handling/management ( stringlining - etc ) but nothing spectacular or at fantastic rates of speed. Z-fighting is definitely more important to me also...although I usually can manage my mind to believe it is a cool breeze blowing the grass around.

After all -- this is really ALL make believe. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

#4 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer

Posted 29 January 2023 - 09:03 AM

Z fighting for me as well.

#5 User is offline   Aldarion 

• Engineer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Owner

Posted 29 January 2023 - 11:26 AM

If you want my opinion. As far as derailments are concerned... OR is good the way it is - it is a train driving simulator, not a train wreck simulator. Not derailling does not break the immersion for me.

#6 User is offline   superheatedsteam 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 29 January 2023 - 04:11 PM

If you search youtube for train simulator crash you will find there are no shortage of simulators that already support crashing and no shortage of posters showing this is so.

It is not a feature that I am interested in seeing in Open Rails and a developers valuable time could be better spent on other improvements like Z fighting.

#7 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2023 - 06:20 PM

Well, it's looking like a very subtle "moment": there are both good and bad sides of showing/not showing things like that.
Recreating that close to reality - is hard task, recreating that too simple - too few sense. IMO, it's better to have two things:
1. Checkbox in options - for selecting modes, either "like we have now"; or one, when operation faults, causing derailments, will cause the game to be over (how about visual side - is another separate question). This was so in MSTS options.
2. Clear statement, explaining on Manual's pages, that "in ORTS you won't see visual crashes, because..." - so there will be less questions about that in future.

I'd add, that I think the similar, as above posts say: there are better tasks to implement and to improve, but too few active devs - for spending efforts now on things like visualization of crashes. So at current moment, there are better choice: either for team - to focus on, either for users - to play trainsims, where crashes is being shown, or ORTS.

#8 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 01 March 2023 - 10:09 AM

Z-fighting is on my list of things I'd like to see solved also. It's especially frustrating when terrain transfers flash about.

And yes I agree with Weter on derailments and MSTS had it that way. Don't like it? Just turn it off! :)

#9 User is offline   Aldarion 

• Engineer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Owner

Posted 02 March 2023 - 12:00 AM

Welll if they can be turned off... it will not bother me!

#10 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 May 2023 - 11:14 PM

Our next session is this Sat 20th May.

Is there any topic that you would like ORMT to discuss?

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users