• You cannot reply to this topic

Dim display in v1.5 Anyone get this? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 20 November 2022 - 05:40 AM

Kknobl has reported that updating from Stable Release 1.4 to 1.5 renders the display very dim - unacceptably so. Reverting to 1.4 restores the original brightness.

(I've started this public thread instead of using Private Messages or Launchpad.net so that it gets a larger audience and someone might have some thoughts on how to solve it.)

James has publicly listed archives for all Unstable Versions, so they are executable and we can use them to find out when the problem arose. Any of these archives can be downloaded and unzipped to a folder. So long as that folder is separate from your installed Open Rails. It will then have no affect on the installed Open Rails. To run an unzipped archive, find and execute the OpenRails.exe file.

We could use binary search to pin down the Unstable Version that dims the display. Before we try that, I suspect the change from 32-bit to 64-bit might be the culprit so, Kknobl, would you try the archive from just before 64-bit was submitted (9-Jan-22) and another from just after it was merged with the Testing Version (28-Feb-22).

Before
After

Looking forward to the results. Was it the change to 64-bit?

#2 User is offline   kknobl 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 23 November 2022 - 06:02 AM

Will do, downloading both now and will advise of the results.

#3 User is offline   kknobl 

• Fireman

Posted 23 November 2022 - 06:15 AM

cjakeman, on 20 November 2022 - 05:40 AM, said:

Kknobl has reported that updating from Stable Release 1.4 to 1.5 renders the display very dim - unacceptably so. Reverting to 1.4 restores the original brightness.

(I've started this public thread instead of using Private Messages or Launchpad.net so that it gets a larger audience and someone might have some thoughts on how to solve it.)

James has publicly listed archives for all Unstable Versions, so they are executable and we can use them to find out when the problem arose. Any of these archives can be downloaded and unzipped to a folder. So long as that folder is separate from your installed Open Rails. It will then have no affect on the installed Open Rails. To run an unzipped archive, find and execute the OpenRails.exe file.

We could use binary search to pin down the Unstable Version that dims the display. Before we try that, I suspect the change from 32-bit to 64-bit might be the culprit so, Kknobl, would you try the archive from just before 64-bit was submitted (9-Jan-22) and another from just after it was merged with the Testing Version (28-Feb-22).

Before
After

Looking forward to the results. Was it the change to 64-bit?

Hi, the 32 bit display brightness was normal, 64 bit the display was dim

#4 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 23 November 2022 - 09:20 AM

kknobl, on 23 November 2022 - 06:15 AM, said:

Hi, the 32 bit display brightness was normal, 64 bit the display was dim

Thanks for trying these out.
It seems I guessed right about the cause. Not sure what the solution might be. I have an on-line meeting with James, our technical lead on Saturday, so I will ask his advice.

If anyone else has thoughts on what might be affecting just one user, then please feel free to jump in.

Thanks.

#5 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 26 November 2022 - 11:44 AM

cjakeman, on 23 November 2022 - 09:20 AM, said:

I have an on-line meeting with James, our technical lead on Saturday, so I will ask his advice.

If anyone else has thoughts on what might be affecting just one user, then please feel free to jump in.

Hi kknobl,

James has pointed out that the change to 64-bit removed the large-address-aware executable RunActivityLAA.exe. Many graphics drives can be customised for a specific executable so, if your graphics driver was customised for the 1.4 version of RunActivityLAA.exe, then that customisation will need to be re-applied to the 1.5 version of RunActivity.exe. (The same applies if you have been making use of ReShade, the graphics post-processor.)

If this is the case, please re-install v1.5 and tell us how it works out.

If not, then we need a screenshot from v1.5 as this can provide some clues. Is the lighting dim everywhere on screen including the pop-up windows or just in the 3D world? What about in-cab? What about distant mountains (as these have no shadows)?

Please don't take screenshots when running full-screen, but use windowed mode. It seems screenshot software can remove effects that are used by a program running in full-screen mode so you don't then get an accurate image.

#6 User is offline   Peter B. 

• Hostler

Posted 27 November 2022 - 01:28 AM

Hello kknobl, hello Chris,

recently I made a strange observation: I don't get the dimmed (darker) graphics when running OR 1.5, but with ORNYMG 134. I'm running 1.5 with all options stored in the registry and ORNYMG with a local OpenRails.ini file. So, it's obvious that some graphics settings are different. I compared the log files from both and found these graphics related differences:

OR 1.5 (normal appearance):
AntiAliasing = (user set) 3
DirectXFeatureLevel = (user set) 10_0
ShadowAllShapes = (user set) True
ShadowMapDistance = (user set) 1250
UseLargeAddressAware = True
WindowGlass = (user set) True

ORNYMG 134 (dark appearance):
AntiAliasing = (user set) 2
DirectXFeatureLevel =
ShadowAllShapes = False
ShadowMapDistance = 1000
WindowGlass = False

Maybe this helps in narrowing down the search for the source of that dimming effect. I've attached both log files for details.

Greetings, Peter

Attached File(s)

#7 User is offline   Peter B. 

• Hostler

Posted 27 November 2022 - 04:34 AM

UPDATE: I've found what makes my ORNYMG134 installation go dim: I've got AMD's Adrenalin Edition Software installed and set up a separate gaming configuration for "D:\Spiele\OR_NewYear_MG\RunActivity.exe". This config had the option "Image Sharpening" activated. When I deactivate this OR is displayed normally. And as OR 1.5 is installed in a different path and has no specific gaming config defined it isn't affected by this setting.

@kknobl: in your log file I see that you also use AMD graphics. Could you please check if you've got image sharpening activated, and if deactivating it restores the normal brightness/contrast?

Greetings, Peter

#8 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 27 November 2022 - 11:25 AM

Peter B., on 27 November 2022 - 04:34 AM, said:

UPDATE: When I deactivate this OR is displayed normally. And as OR 1.5 is installed in a different path and has no specific gaming config defined it isn't affected by this setting.

Well done, Peter. Let's hope this is the right solution for kknobl too.

#9 User is offline   kknobl 

• Fireman

Posted 30 November 2022 - 06:15 AM

UPDATE: I've found what makes my ORNYMG134 installation go dim: I've got AMD's Adrenalin Edition Software installed and set up a separate gaming configuration for "D:\Spiele\OR_NewYear_MG\RunActivity.exe". This config had the option "Image Sharpening" activated. When I deactivate this OR is displayed normally. And as OR 1.5 is installed in a different path and has no specific gaming config defined it isn't affected by this setting.

@kknobl: in your log file I see that you also use AMD graphics. Could you please check if you've got image sharpening activated, and if deactivating it restores the normal brightness/contrast?

Greetings, Peter

Will do, I'll give it a shot and keep all posted. Thanks!

#10 User is offline   kknobl 

• Fireman

Posted 30 November 2022 - 06:48 AM

Greetings, Peter

Image Sharpening was deactivated, but the screen was still dimmed in full screen mode.

However, when run in windowed mode, the screen display is perfectly normal with no dimming.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users