• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

.Net Framework 4.7.2 Installation error Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is online   ckawahara 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 22 October 2022 - 06:46 AM

For the record, it's not TSRE not working, it's OpenRails not running (to see the installed items in a sim) due to a installer certificate error. Never got to the point of testing TSRE on the M6400 laptop (for what use is placing objects if you cannot see them in a sim?).

Still doing a occasional internet search trying to find what the root issue is. Seems to be a rare case as other users have Win 7 and OR in use. Something specific to Dell's? All solutions found ion the internet so far have failed to resolve the error.

#22 User is offline   Peter B. 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 October 2022 - 07:17 AM

Hello ckawahara,

I've got one more idea: on the Windows 7 PC please press the Windows key and the R key simultaneously to open the "Run" dialog. Then enter certlm.msc into the input field and press the Return key. This should give the window shown below. Check that it says "Local Computer" in the header. Then please go to the "Certificates" folder under the "Trusted Root Certification Authorities" section and check if find an entry for "Microsoft Root Certificate Authority 2011". My guess (and hope) is that you won't find any. ;)

https://up.picr.de/44571904ja.jpg

If that entry is missing go over to one of your other PCs running Windows 8 or 10 and repeat the action. Right-click on the "Microsoft Root Certificate Authority 2011" entry and select "All tasks" > "Export...". Select the PKCS #7 format and the option "Include all certificates ...".

If the export was successful copy that file over to your Windows 7 computer, right-click on the "Certificates" folder under "Trusted Root Certification Authorities" and select "All Tasks" > "Import...". Make sure that "Local Machine" is selected as location and open the exported file (you might need to change the format to PKCS #7 in the file dialog to see your export file). If the import was succesful you can retry installing .NET 4.7.2.

Good Luck and Greetings, Peter

#23 User is online   ckawahara 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 22 October 2022 - 09:40 AM

Ho Peter.
THANK!
Will give it a try after the chores are done.
Craig

Edit: Win 7 pc says "Windows cannot find 'certlm.msc'.

Going to see where it can be located and installed from.

edit: In window 7 the app CERTMGR.MSC seems to be the same type of utility. Also when opened, it shows as the heading "Certificates-Current User'. There is no entry "Certificates" but under the heading "Trusted Root Certification Authority" ther is "Certificates"

This app is the same one that was used by a Microsoft download called " MicrosoftRootCertificateAuthority2011.cer"
This ran but failed to resolce the error.

Cannot seem to locate how to get "Local Computer"
The entry "Microsoft Root Certificate Authority 2011" is listed (along with 24 others).

#24 User is online   ckawahara 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 22 October 2022 - 10:16 AM

Located a old Win 7 pc that I can mess up with permission from the owner. Once I get it, will try again to install .NET Framework 4.7.2. Third time is a charm?

#25 User is offline   Peter B. 

• Hostler
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 23 October 2022 - 12:42 AM

Hi ckawahara,

that's what I had assumed: when you installed the *.cer download from Microsoft it was installed in the current user's certificate store, not in the machine's store. It's a bit hard for me to remember how to get to the local machine's store under Windows 7 when all my computers home and at work run Windows 10. So, I'm not sure if this might work under Windows 7:

Press the Windows key once and begin typing c e r t i f i c a t e s - at some time several suitable entries wil be displayed. If we're lucky there will be one named "Manage Computer Certificates" or similar - that should be the place where the "Microsoft Root Certificate Authority 2011" should be imported.

Greetings, Peter

#26 User is offline   perpetualKid 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 23 October 2022 - 02:52 AM

don't have a solution for the issue of installing .NET Fx 4.7.2, but alternatively you may try to install this OR clone which is based on .NET 3.1
.Net 3.1 can be downloaded here, you'll need "Desktop Runtime" version for your OS (64 or 32 bit), this should work on Windows 7 as well.

#27 User is online   ckawahara 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 23 October 2022 - 09:27 AM

View PostperpetualKid, on 23 October 2022 - 02:52 AM, said:

don't have a solution for the issue of installing .NET Fx 4.7.2, but alternatively you may try to install this OR clone which is based on .NET 6.0.
.Net 6 can be downloaded here, you'll need "Desktop Runtime" version for your OS (64 or 32 bit), this should work on Windows 7 as well.

Hi perpetualKid.
Thanks for the information. Did not know there was a alternate to the OR 1.4.
Downloaded file 'windowsdesktop-runtime-6.0.10win-x64.exe' and it installed with an error.
Downloaded the OR Clone 1.4 but upon running the OR.exe get the error "Program can't start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-|1-1-0.dll is missing.

An internet search says to download and install from Microsoft the update file
"Windows6.1-KB2999226-x64.msu"

Craig

Edit: Never mind. I downloaded the file 'windows6.1-KB2999226-x64.msi' but after running it, now the clone 1.4 does not run at all.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users