Is multiplayer doubleheading posssible? Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 18 October 2022 - 12:02 PM

View PostPerryPlatypus, on 18 October 2022 - 10:16 AM, said:

Would it be possible to implement a bit into the code where, when two players are operating different sets of locomotives in the same train, a coupler-breaking train force has to be sustained for at least 3 to 5 seconds continuously before the coupler will actually break? This is appropriate for more than just steam era. The ability to do manned helper/pusher operations (as it is called in the US and Canada respectively) via multiplayer in OR would be groundbreaking.

Indeed. The location where push and pull are equal is called the node and keeping the node mid train is a critical skill of the engineers.

View PostPerryPlatypus, on 18 October 2022 - 10:16 AM, said:

By the way- ideally we would have the ability to manually select which sets of locomotives in a train are controlled by which Player / "crew". For example, on Mullan Pass in the USA, the normal practice for heavy trains ascending the grade is that trains will have 3 sets of locomotives - front, middle, and rear. The rear locomotives will be DPU's controlled by the crew at the front of the train. The middle/mid-train locomotives will be operated by a separate crew. This takes lots of careful train handling, but the crews manage to do this multiple times per day, usually without issue :)

Three sets of locomotives was used back in the steam era as well as the transition eras. I recall reading of a Rio Grande movement over Soldier Summit in the early 1950s -- four F7's up in front, four more mid train, and on the end a 2-8-8-2 and one or sometimes two 2-6-6-2 steamers. Around 100 cars loaded with coal weighing around 10,000 tons headed up a 2.2% grade. Must have been loud.

#12 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 28 February 2023 - 08:10 AM

Bumping this with a thought on how to circumvent the issue of two player locomotives coupling causing unwanted results.

In OR a locomotive pushing on a car even after uncoupling will still be able to shove the car(s) along without any mishaps, I'm using this frequently to do switching. Perhaps it would be benefitial to set up the code to disable any coupling between any vehicles or trains occupied by different players in multiplayer, while still recognise the "physical" train as a movable object?

A simple sketch of how I imagine it could work:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/429042953755951124/1080162983017185442/bild.png

This still wouldn't solve the doublehead issue but could allow a player-operated helper to shove on the rear. Maybe a viable stopgap solution until a better way can be found?

#13 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 28 February 2023 - 08:23 AM

BTW,
In timetable mode, all trains, not mentioned to be coupled to, are like ghosts: player will ride through all consist units, as like they all made of air.
Though, didn't test to collide in multiplayer or activity modes.

#14 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 28 February 2023 - 08:28 AM

It was mentioned earlier by others that two player trains coupling results in both locos being controlled by one player. I've never tested it myself either in explore or activity mode. My suggestion above would theoretically solve this through making coupling of two player trains/locos impossible. Worth trying?

I never use timetable mode as it's above my level of education.

#15 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 28 February 2023 - 08:30 AM

Sorry. Interesting outcome, indeed.

I'd encourage You to try: it's much more exciting than Activity, in many cases.
Few limitations, but bunch of opportunities in turn.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users