Elvas Tower: Visual Studio 2022 fails to Rebuild OR - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Visual Studio 2022 fails to Rebuild OR Not sure what I'm doing wrong Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Peter M. 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 24 September 2022 - 12:33 PM

Hello,

I recently downloaded the "Testing Version" Open Rails source code from the OR website, and followed the instructions for installing Visual Studio 2022. However, it seems like Visual Studio can't successfully rebuild the solution.

Here are the relevant entries from the output window:

11>------ Rebuild All started: Project: Updater, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
11>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\MSBuild\Current\Bin\amd64\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(3262,5): error MSB3821: Couldn't process file UpdaterProgress.resx due to its being in the Internet or Restricted zone or having the mark of the web on the file. Remove the mark of the web if you want to process these files.
11>Done building project "Updater.csproj" -- FAILED.

17>------ Rebuild All started: Project: ContentManager, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
17>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\MSBuild\Current\Bin\amd64\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(3262,5): error MSB3821: Couldn't process file ContentManagerGUI.resx due to its being in the Internet or Restricted zone or having the mark of the web on the file. Remove the mark of the web if you want to process these files.
17>Done building project "ContentManager.csproj" -- FAILED.

19>------ Rebuild All started: Project: Menu, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
19>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\MSBuild\Current\Bin\amd64\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(3262,5): error MSB3821: Couldn't process file MainForm.resx due to its being in the Internet or Restricted zone or having the mark of the web on the file. Remove the mark of the web if you want to process these files.
19>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\MSBuild\Current\Bin\amd64\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(3262,5): error MSB3821: Couldn't process file ResumeForm.resx due to its being in the Internet or Restricted zone or having the mark of the web on the file. Remove the mark of the web if you want to process these files.
19>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\MSBuild\Current\Bin\amd64\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(3262,5): error MSB3821: Couldn't process file TestingForm.resx due to its being in the Internet or Restricted zone or having the mark of the web on the file. Remove the mark of the web if you want to process these files.
19>Done building project "Menu.csproj" -- FAILED.

20>------ Rebuild All started: Project: ActivityEditor, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
20>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\MSBuild\Current\Bin\amd64\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(3262,5): error MSB3821: Couldn't process file AboutActEdit.resx due to its being in the Internet or Restricted zone or having the mark of the web on the file. Remove the mark of the web if you want to process these files.
20>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\MSBuild\Current\Bin\amd64\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(3262,5): error MSB3821: Couldn't process file Engine\Viewer2D.resx due to its being in the Internet or Restricted zone or having the mark of the web on the file. Remove the mark of the web if you want to process these files.
20>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\MSBuild\Current\Bin\amd64\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(3262,5): error MSB3821: Couldn't process file Preference\Options.resx due to its being in the Internet or Restricted zone or having the mark of the web on the file. Remove the mark of the web if you want to process these files.
20>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\MSBuild\Current\Bin\amd64\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(3262,5): error MSB3821: Couldn't process file Route Metadata\ConnectorInterface.resx due to its being in the Internet or Restricted zone or having the mark of the web on the file. Remove the mark of the web if you want to process these files.
20>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\MSBuild\Current\Bin\amd64\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(3262,5): error MSB3821: Couldn't process file Route Metadata\StationDisplay.resx due to its being in the Internet or Restricted zone or having the mark of the web on the file. Remove the mark of the web if you want to process these files.
20>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\MSBuild\Current\Bin\amd64\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(3262,5): error MSB3821: Couldn't process file Engine\Viewer2D.en.resx due to its being in the Internet or Restricted zone or having the mark of the web on the file. Remove the mark of the web if you want to process these files.
20>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\MSBuild\Current\Bin\amd64\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(3262,5): error MSB3821: Couldn't process file Engine\Viewer2D.fr.resx due to its being in the Internet or Restricted zone or having the mark of the web on the file. Remove the mark of the web if you want to process these files.
20>Done building project "ActivityEditor.csproj" -- FAILED.

23>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\MSBuild\Current\Bin\amd64\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(3262,5): error MSB3821: Couldn't process file Viewer3D\Debugging\SoundDebugForm.resx due to its being in the Internet or Restricted zone or having the mark of the web on the file. Remove the mark of the web if you want to process these files.
23>Done building project "RunActivity.csproj" -- FAILED.

24>------ Rebuild All started: Project: ContentChecker, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
24>CSC : error CS0006: Metadata file 'C:\Open Rails Source\Program\RunActivity.exe' could not be found
24>Done building project "ContentChecker.csproj" -- FAILED.

25>------ Rebuild All started: Project: TrackViewer, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
25>CSC : error CS0006: Metadata file 'C:\Open Rails Source\Program\RunActivity.exe' could not be found
25>Done building project "TrackViewer.csproj" -- FAILED.

When I try to run the Open Rails program, I receive a message stating OR is missing the following: GNU.Gettext.WinForms.dll, Native/X86/OpenAL32.dll, Native/X64/OpenAL32.dll, Menu.exe, and RunActivity.exe.

Did I install Visual Studio 2022 incorrectly? I may have missed a necessary add-on during the installation process but I'm not sure what exactly would be missing. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Peter

#2 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 25 September 2022 - 01:38 PM

Hi Peter,

View PostPeter M., on 24 September 2022 - 12:33 PM, said:

I recently downloaded the "Testing Version" Open Rails source code from the OR website, and followed the instructions for installing Visual Studio 2022. However, it seems like Visual Studio can't successfully rebuild the solution.

Here are the relevant entries from the output window:

11>------ Rebuild All started: Project: Updater, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
11>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\MSBuild\Current\Bin\amd64\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(3262,5): error MSB3821: Couldn't process file UpdaterProgress.resx due to its being in the Internet or Restricted zone or having the mark of the web on the file. Remove the mark of the web if you want to process these files.
11>Done building project "Updater.csproj" -- FAILED.

From time to time Microsoft tries (and fails) to be helpful. The key message above is "Remove the mark of the web if you want to process these files."

The advice I usually use when I meet this is at https://www.winhelpo...oaded-internet/

Hope that helps,

#3 User is offline   Peter M. 

• Apprentice

Posted 25 September 2022 - 10:06 PM

View Postcjakeman, on 25 September 2022 - 01:38 PM, said:

Hi Peter,

From time to time Microsoft tries (and fails) to be helpful. The key message above is "Remove the mark of the web if you want to process these files."

The advice I usually use when I meet this is at https://www.winhelpo...oaded-internet/

Hope that helps,

Thanks Chris!

I followed the instructions on that website for removing the "mark of the web" for each blocked file and everything compiled correctly. In order to avoid having to do this for each download, I whitelisted the Open Rails page in Windows SmartScreen and redownloaded the source package. Doing this extra step also seems to fix various "path access denied" errors that Visual Studio threw.

Peter

#4 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 26 September 2022 - 09:51 AM

Hi Peter,

View PostPeter M., on 25 September 2022 - 10:06 PM, said:

I followed the instructions on that website for removing the "mark of the web" for each blocked file and everything compiled correctly. In order to avoid having to do this for each download, I whitelisted the Open Rails page in Windows SmartScreen and redownloaded the source package. Doing this extra step also seems to fix various "path access denied" errors that Visual Studio threw.

Good to hear you've been successful and thanks for providing these details for everyone. I'll add some suitable instructions to the website.

If you are going to keep up with updates to the Testing Version (which is updated on Friday evenings), it would be more convenient to use our repository on GitHub.com at https://github.com/o...s/openrails.org. The "master" branch there is the same as the Testing Version but has all the advantages of Git including keeping up to date easily.

#5 User is offline   Peter M. 

• Apprentice

Posted 26 September 2022 - 12:59 PM

Hi Chris,

If you are going to keep up with updates to the Testing Version (which is updated on Friday evenings), it would be more convenient to use our repository on GitHub.com

Thanks for the advice! I'll clone the repository with Visual Studio.

Also, it seems like VS works better on my end at rebuilding the solution after the previous rebuild has been cleaned.

Peter

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users