• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Does Electric Train Heating Work? Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Lamplighter 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 08 August 2022 - 10:37 AM

ORTHeateringWindowDeratingFactor probably only works as part of the steam heated car parameters.
I've tried it on cars with electric heating, but to no avail. The temperature of the cars gradually decreases while driving. The same problem occurs with electric traction (that is, with an electric locomotive). There seems to be something wrong with the cars electric heater.
When I retrofitted my electrically heated passenger cars with this feature (October 2021) it still worked :-(

#12 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 08 August 2022 - 11:17 AM

Got there in the end.

Another loco - did not work with the cars.

This loco - did work with different cars.

All that fuss - only to find an extra bracket somewhere else so the heating information was not displayed.

In response to the note above, I now have functional dual heat cars.

ORTSHeatingCompartmentTemperatureSet ( 18 )
ORTSHeatingCompartmentPipeAreaFactor ( 2.5 )
ORTSHeatingWindowDeratingFactor ( 0.22 )
ORTSHeatingTrainPipeOuterDiameter ( 2.75in )
ORTSHeatingTrainPipeInnerDiameter ( 2.00in )
ORTSHeatingConnectingHoseOuterDiameter ( 2.25in )
ORTSHeatingConnectingHoseInnerDiameter ( 1.75in )

ORTSPowerSupply ( Default )
ORTSPowerOnDelay ( 5s )
ORTSPowerSupplyContinuousPower ( 5kW )
ORTSPowerSupplyHeatingPower ( 15kW )
ORTSPowerSupplyAirConditioningPower ( 0kW )
ORTSPowerSupplyAirConditioningYield ( 0 )

Next something totally unrelated. Why are these carriages showing up as Wheels 2-2-4 rather than Wheels 4-4??

#13 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 08 August 2022 - 11:40 AM

View PostLamplighter, on 08 August 2022 - 09:54 AM, said:

Well, yes, but this parameter is listed in the OR instructions for the steam car heating kit. Does it really work the same for electrically heated cars?

Hello

I think so. As a technically minded person, this would be natural. Glass has the same thermal insulation ability for steam heating and electric heating. The side walls of the car (including the floor and the roof) have the same level of thermal insulation for steam heating and electric heating. In addition, the ratio of the glass surfaces to the other side surfaces of the car is also the same.
If the program doesn't handle it that way, then I think it's a problem.
What would make a difference with electric heating?
The car shown in the picture was also purchased by MÁV with steam and electric heating. I remember the radiator running along the side wall of the car. I remember it so well because I stood up so I could lean out the window better.

Sincerely, Laci 1959

Supplement:

Although the manual mentions this factor for steam heating, it seems logical to me that it is needed for both heating systems.
It would be nice if Peter could also comment. If anyone, then He knows.

#14 User is offline   Lamplighter 

• Fireman

Posted 08 August 2022 - 12:01 PM

I understand, but as I wrote above (and tested), the ORTSHheatingWindowDeratingFactor parameter does not work for electrically heated cars.
Cars with both heating (i.e. electric and steam) were also used by the Czechoslovak State Railways (made at home, in Hungary - RABA Györ and in Germany - Görlitz). The reason was the gradual transition from steam traction to diesel and electric.

#15 User is offline   Lamplighter 

• Fireman

Posted 08 August 2022 - 12:16 PM

I now took a ride on a modern train set pulled by a new generation electric locomotive. She hauled six modern pressure-tight cars with a central energy supply. When the heating is on, it does not heat up and the initial temperature drops to zero while driving. It would probably be misguided to modify these cars with steam heaters that work. The error should be fixed in the system.

#16 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 09 August 2022 - 06:50 AM

Getting there slowly. It seems that driving trailer cars are still not allowed to have heating.
Warning: Defining the wagon(ortspowersupply parameter is forbidden for locomotives (in D:\Open Rails - CTN Test Route\trains\trainset\BR_MK2F_DBSO\BR_MK2F_DBSO.eng:line 11)

Warning: Defining the wagon(ortspowerondelay parameter is forbidden for locomotives (in D:\Open Rails - CTN Test Route\trains\trainset\BR_MK2F_DBSO\BR_MK2F_DBSO.eng:line 11)

Warning: Defining the wagon(ortspowersupplycontinuouspower parameter is forbidden for locomotives (in D:\Open Rails - CTN Test Route\trains\trainset\BR_MK2F_DBSO\BR_MK2F_DBSO.eng:line 11)

Warning: Defining the wagon(ortspowersupplyheatingpower parameter is forbidden for locomotives (in D:\Open Rails - CTN Test Route\trains\trainset\BR_MK2F_DBSO\BR_MK2F_DBSO.eng:line 11)

Warning: Defining the wagon(ortspowersupplyairconditioningpower parameter is forbidden for locomotives (in D:\Open Rails - CTN Test Route\trains\trainset\BR_MK2F_DBSO\BR_MK2F_DBSO.eng:line 11)

Warning: Defining the wagon(ortspowersupplyairconditioningyield parameter is forbidden for locomotives (in D:\Open Rails - CTN Test Route\trains\trainset\BR_MK2F_DBSO\BR_MK2F_DBSO.eng:line 11)

Information: Control Trailer

#17 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 10 August 2022 - 03:19 AM

I have tried to put together a train heating example for UK.

https://www.uktrains...rm_fileid=40715

One of the problems being that OpenRails makes the British climate about 15C or more colder than it should be in winter and the train heating in the model can not handle that!

I have put a suggestion on Trello that we should be able to give a better description of climate for our routes.

https://trello.com/c...her-to-trk-file

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users