• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

OR Not Opening Program Crashes to Desktop Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Nighthawk72 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 18 June 2022 - 03:19 PM

Hello All: I had a most unpleasant surprise earlier today when I tried to launch a session in OR. The program will not open. I tried opening an activity that I have been working on for the past several days, and when I click the start icon in the OR start menu, I get a black screen w/the OR icon, but the usual load screen for the route does not pop up. After 15-20 seconds, the OR start screen reappears. I have tried opening various other activities in that same route as well as various activities and Explore Route sessions in both the mini route I have been working in and each of the other mini routes that I have installed. The same result occurs in each attempt, no matter which mini route or individual route I choose. The OR app has been working perfectly w/no problems whatsoever up until today.

The Error line in the OR Log Sheet indicates that the "Loader Process in Hung", which I assume, is what is causing the problem, but (1) I have absolutely no idea what has caused this, and (2), what to do to fix it. Hoping someone her can walk me through what might have caused this & what I can do to get it corrected & get OR running once again. The most recent log sheet is attached.

Thanks in advance for any assistance...it is sincerely appreciated. hawk

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 18 June 2022 - 03:37 PM

Hello.
See there:
http://www.elvastowe...ew__getlastpost
Is that it?

#3 User is offline   Nighthawk72 

• Hostler

Posted 18 June 2022 - 07:15 PM

In reading through the thread referenced in the above link, there is a reference from Derek about an ORMG version of OR, and instructions to untick "watchdog". Sorry, but I am not familiar w/this version, so I'm confused. The OR version that I am using is 1.3.1.4328. I've looked under the Options tab and find no such thing as ORNYMG or a watchdog option. Also, from reading further in the thread, it appears that the development team is continuing their investigation into the issue.

So, my question is, do I locate and install this ORMG version of OR and drill down in the options tab to untick the watchdog function, or just continue to follow the thread and see what the development team comes up with? Also, would it be helpful to provide the OR log included in my initial note to the development team? Am willing to assist in any way I can. thanks...hawk

#4 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 18 June 2022 - 09:53 PM

Hello.
Let's try to sort-out and answer Your post.
First, what did attract my attention: Your "working" version of the "core" is about two years old (now the 573-th edition of Ver.1.4 is most recent - issued on last Friday).
So, my first question/comment would be: how long ago, the problem in question appeared? What circumstances were at that time: whether You modified something, or started to so something in new, unusual way? Briefly speaking: did it work well before? And what caused You to notice that problem?

Second: ORMG version has it's benefits and lacks, compared to official version. The most significant, IMHO, of those lacks for end-users is absence of documentation, like Manual.pdf, what makes multiple distinctions of this version, which is not included in official one, undocumented.
This way, whether to use NYMG, or official OR(TS), or some of "national" versions is exclusively Your option, following from Your preferences.
I'd suggest You to try either NYMG and most resent testing versions, or look to other unofficial branches: it's counter-productive, IMHO, to count on fixing for You the version, dated about two years ago, as now, the subject of development is completely-other engine-based version 1.4 (official version abandoned payware and constrained obsolete XNA engine and have been migrated to MonoGame too)

#5 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 18 June 2022 - 10:10 PM

Third: if You interested to get NYMG version, you can go to to it's dedicated thread here on ET and use the link from C.Santucci's signature under any of his posts for redirecting Yourself to NYMG download page.
My impression: it's much more computer-friendly, as it has some options for better fitting to concrete system's configuration, for effectively use that systems resources, like RAM, BUT, MonoGame is unknown for older hardware, so my 2009-manufactured laptop freezes forever, as soon as loading of game complete.
That's why I'd suggest You to obtain for such case, the most recent 1.3 official version. (you know Your system's specification)
It's all, IMHO, the better way to spend "investigation" time for You, and I hope, some of variants would work for You, so You will be able to play ORTS, during waiting that investigation results, rather, than just sitting and waiting :)

Fourth: You have followed dev.team's suggestion the best way, providing actual log-file with your problem's description.
I see, it was looked five times already (number of downloads is indicated below the file pictogram in that Your post), so I hope, at least one of those five would be not just curious walker. So let's wait for another answers here and there.
I can try to interprete Your log as well, so there would be six views of it :)
Hold on!

#6 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 18 June 2022 - 10:28 PM

Seen Your log:
Hardware configuration is modern and quite strong to run MonoGame (either official, or NY by C.Santucci)
What is unusual: part, listing Your options is missing in file.
There is the same issue, as in that thread, as log reports about loader process hanging and mentions watchdog.

The game crashes even before loading the route, or there are unlogged parts in Your file (it can be altered in options tab)

There is an error in 1225 engine's sound managing files, but it doesn't cause game to crash.
However, it's better to correct them.

#7 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 19 June 2022 - 12:10 AM

I spelt it out:-

Yes, get Carlo's ORMG version of open rails

http://www.interazio...loads/index.php

When you install, go to options : ORNYMG only : untick watchdog

#8 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 19 June 2022 - 04:36 AM

>So, my question is, do I locate and install this ORMG version

Do you want to run OR now?

#9 User is offline   Nighthawk72 

• Hostler

Posted 19 June 2022 - 05:15 AM

Sorry for the delayed response guys. The time differential is not my friend.

First. Weter. Tl answer your questions. 1) The problem appeared yesterday. I have been using the sim almost daily for weeks...not all day b/c I still work, but I have run the sim regularly and it has functioned normally w/no problem. 2) The previous day, as well as for several days previous, I have been working in TSRE, creating & modifying several activities. That work involved creating/modifying several paths, modifying/replacing scenery objects, and adding loose consists. I have been doing this in multiple routes for a couple of years & until yesterday, there was no issue. So far as I know, I did nothing unusual from what I have done previously that might have caused the load hang error. I did shut the computer down the previous evening. When I restarted the pc the following morning is when I discovered that the sim would not load.
Also, thank you for reviewing the log sheet. I'm glad to hear that my system can support either the official version or the ORMG version. However, I am not finding the error in the sound management file you reference. Can you be more specific as to where to locate that error & what I need to do to fix it?

Second. Derek. Thanks for the link to Carlo's monogame d/l site. I find that there are 2 different versions of MG available for d/l; Revision 126.1 & something called an "oldrecent" version. I assume that I would want the revised version, but please clarify that if you would. Also, this may be included in the install instructions, but I assume that I need to completely uninstall the previous version of OR prior to doing an install of any new version. Is that correct?

Thank you both for your input. It is much appreciated.

#10 User is offline   Weter 

Posted 19 June 2022 - 05:38 AM

Where to hurry-up?
If no unusual actions with content and an old, "stable-behaving" ORTS version, then, maybe it could be unlucky automatic win update? Rolled it back?

You can have as many ORTS installations, as You wish: they don't interfere with each other. So don't worry and leeve your old version for compare. I doubt, it was corrupted and ceased to work yesterday, and hope, you'll be able to run it later, if needed.
Actually, there's no "installation" procedure for Testing, or NYMG versions: you only unpacking their files from *.zip to any place You want, then run programs.
Stable version do have installer program, but it only prepares future uninstalling procedure, AFAIK.

There are "whole" editions of NYMG (Recent is 126 now) and quick fixes, in case of bugs were reported. The latter are marked by decimal point, separating patch's number-so 126.3 is third patch for 126-th edition, as there is no sure, that patches will work, or not spoil anything else. If it works, fixed code will be incorporated to next edition.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users