Elvas Tower: Adding Extra Raildriver Button Functionality - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Adding Extra Raildriver Button Functionality Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 01 June 2022 - 10:25 PM

I have started a small project to activate some more buttons on the RailDriver controller.

I am looking at two specific areas:

i) "Programmable Buttons 1 - 28" - add features so that all the buttons work. For this project, the button functions will be "hard coded" in OR, and not able to be defined by the user.

ii) "Cab Buttons" - I am hoping to determine what type of locomotive is being used by the player, and based upon this selection, some of the Cab Buttons may vary. For example, when a steam engine is in use, then the "Pantograph" button becomes the Steam Cocks button.

Changes will be made to the unstable version as software is updated.

As a start the following two features have been added (and updated to the Unstable version):

Button 3 - Train Driving Window can now be displayed

Button 5 - Station / Siding names now work

#2 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 02 June 2022 - 03:07 AM

I have now sorted out how to change defaults to more closely reflect a steam locomotive, and if anybody has any suggestion I am happy to take the comments onboard.

Below is the standard RD controller layout -

Attached Image: raildriver_controller.jpg

Initially I am focusing on buttons 32 to 37.

Based upon the standard diesel configuration, I believe that buttons 32 (currently Range), 33 (currently E-stop), 34 (currently Alert), 36 (Currently Pantograph) could be changed to better reflect the steam functionality.

Given the fact that there are limited buttons available, I would think that we are better to focus on functions that are applicable to operation when in the AI Fireman mode rather then Manual firing.

Some possible candidates could be: Steam Cylinder Cocks, Blowdown Valve, Cylinder Compound Valve, Refill, Water Scoop, AI Firing On/Off, Steam heating increase/decrease, etc.
If steam locomotives are not generally fitted with wipers, then perhaps the wiper switch could also be allocated to a function.

Currently buttons 2 - 14 seem to hold train operation and "management tools", whilst buttons 16 - 28 seem to provide camera views.

#3 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 02 June 2022 - 11:50 AM

Hello.
Blowdown valve seems rarely used, rather blower.

#4 User is offline   joe_star 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 07 June 2022 - 05:24 AM

View PostWeter, on 02 June 2022 - 11:50 AM, said:

Hello.
Blowdown valve seems rarely used, rather blower.

Hi,

I use the blowdown valve frequently to manage boiler pressure while at station stops. Perhaps my fire management leaves to be desired, but it's almost essential to prevent the safeties going off and losing all my steam.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users