• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Turntables Not Loading Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Fleegle411 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, RW, & OpR

Posted 30 May 2022 - 07:12 PM

Jon has been working on activating turntables on a few routes that already had Xtracks tables installed. I'm trying to use the turntables on Allegheny Rails. He sent me the OpenRails folder he used for the route. It reportedly works for him, but the turntables fail to load with the folder in the route. I get the text notifications that the train is on a turntable, but the table's shape does not load and using the key commands to turn it also does not result in anything. I do get a text notification that it's trying to turn the train though. If I remove the OpenRails folder, the turntables appear again, non functional.

I've checked the _turntable.dat entries against my global tsection (Version 56) and I'm not finding anything wrong there. I did find a thread posted by someone who had a similar problem but he didn't find a solution other than to use a Global folder of different origins. I'm using a global folder that traces back its lineage to an old MSTS installation. I have searched high and low for a replacement 27m Turntable shape but have turned up empty so I assume I'm not missing something there. The shape is present in my Global folder.

Jon's _turntable.dat reads as follows:

Turntable(
WFile ( "w-011214+014346.w" )
UiD ( 169 )
XOffset ( 0 )
ZOffset ( 10.5 )
TrackShapeIndex ( 253 )
Animation ( "TRACKPIECE" )
Diameter ( 34 )
)
Turntable(
WFile ( "w-011213+014346.w" )
UiD ( 32 )
XOffset ( 0 )
ZOffset ( 10.5 )
TrackShapeIndex ( 253 )
Diameter ( 34 )
)
Turntable(
WFile ( "w-011207+014353.w" )
UiD ( 81 )
XOffset ( 0 )
ZOffset ( 10.5 )
TrackShapeIndex ( 253 )
Diameter ( 34 )
)
Turntable(
WFile ( "w-011214+014368.w" )
UiD ( 108 )
XOffset ( 0 )
ZOffset ( 10.5 )
TrackShapeIndex ( 253 )
Diameter ( 34 )
)

I have attached a log from a brief session in which a turntable failed to load.
I have not found a comprehensive guide on how to install a turntable properly so I'm not entirely sure if I'm checking all the possible hangups...

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 30 May 2022 - 10:56 PM

Hello.
I shall try to help, but you'll do something by yourself, while waiting for another advices here, because I've dealt with turntable once and some years back.
What's important: the Manual contains full instruction, how to do that. It goes with "sample files" - at a special sub folder of every openrails testing version package, providing all necessary additions and modifications for the route to be upgraded.
Let me try to recall some steps:
- The *.w-files of those places, where turntables are located on the route must have modified copies in openrails folder.
- New file turntables.dat, listing all operational turntables and mentioning them world-files must be created.
- The animation definition (there is a sample for inserting to default 27m turntable's *.s-file) must be added for rotating the bridge.
- there must be sound-referring pair: the *.wav and *.sms -files added to Your route's Sound folder.

Sorry, if I overlooked something, but I tried some times and eventually have done it.
Wish You success and hope, our colleagues here and can correct me.

#3 User is offline   xavivilla 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails - RailWorks

Posted 30 May 2022 - 11:07 PM

Hello

First, the file has to be called 'turntable.dat', not '_turntable.dat', you need to remove the underscore '_' in front of the name.
Second, make sure your turntable shapes used have animation.

#4 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 31 May 2022 - 03:37 AM

Hi,

...and possibly third: The first line in the turntable.dat must be a blank line.

Regards Jonas

#5 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 31 May 2022 - 07:40 AM

The files Fleegle recieved are not modified after I sent them. There is a blank line and the filename does not have an underscore. I even sent him the shapes and textures in my GLOBAL folder to see if there was any change. TrackShape index for the xtracks turntable is the same across mine and his tsection.dat

The diameter "34" is to allow squeezing a larger engine onto the table where the wheels are just on the edge, thus creating overhang. This was done in real life as nessecery until larger tables were built. It does not have any negative impact on the sim.

The code in my turntable.dat:

Turntable(
WFile ( "w-011214+014346.w" )
UiD ( 169 )
XOffset ( 0 )
ZOffset ( 10.5 )
TrackShapeIndex ( 253 )
Diameter ( 34 )
)
Turntable(
WFile ( "w-011213+014346.w" )
UiD ( 32 )
XOffset ( 0 )
ZOffset ( 10.5 )
TrackShapeIndex ( 253 )
Diameter ( 34 )
)
Turntable(
WFile ( "w-011207+014353.w" )
UiD ( 81 )
XOffset ( 0 )
ZOffset ( 10.5 )
TrackShapeIndex ( 253 )
Diameter ( 34 )
)
Turntable(
WFile ( "w-011214+014368.w" )
UiD ( 108 )
XOffset ( 0 )
ZOffset ( 10.5 )
TrackShapeIndex ( 253 )
Diameter ( 34 )

B&O roundhouse at Pittsburg, the turntable appears and rotates as normal.
Attached Image: Open Rails 2022-05-26 06-01-18.jpg

If all else fails I'll send you my GLOBAL folder for testing.

#6 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 31 May 2022 - 09:18 AM

I followed this guide and it worked the first time.

Randy

#7 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 31 May 2022 - 11:34 AM

Just to add to Randy's post...in case some users of OR are not familiar with the "Documentation" folder to be found in the download of Stable Ver 1.4 , there are file examples and information concerning turntable and much more in the folder.

Also under the "Learn" tab on the OR website you'll find more documentation about OR physics and other manuals and tutorials.

#8 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 31 May 2022 - 12:25 PM

I beg a pardon, But ought to note, that documentation, supplied with every recent testing version is the same, but newer, than accompany stable release, dated october 2021. Sorry, Gerry.
For those, who prefer Carlo's NewYear edition, You've provided a good advice, as under "Learn" tab, there is a separate download link of actual Manual and some tutorials, not included in installation packs.
WRT manual, there is online HTML version HERE, which is always up to date and allows search by keywords (on the left).

#9 User is offline   Fleegle411 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:MSTS, RW, & OpR

Posted 01 June 2022 - 03:41 AM

Solution found. Will go into detail so that others in future having the same issue may also find their solution in this thread.

The relevant instructions are in Section 15.4.1, Page 300, of the current OpenRails Manual.

The issue was the 27m turntable shape (a1t27mturntable.s) not having the requisite animations. This would also explain another user's same issue with a global folder that traces back to MSTS.

I uncompressed the 27m turntable in the global folder using Shape File Manager, and copied in the animation data found in the text document in OpenRails/Documentation/SampleFiles/Manual/a1t27mturntable.zip into the turntable shape file just above the final closing bracket. I re-compressed the shape file and checked the sim. The turntables worked as intended.

#10 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 01 June 2022 - 09:17 AM

Very good. :good:

I include the spinny-fication and sound update to the turntables at Pittsburg, Harrison, Troy Hill, Butler and New Kensington for anyone else to try, and to apply Fleegles fix if they don't show. Put the Openrails folder inside your copy of Allegheny Rails and the SOUND folder in your root installation.

The turntable sound is from my own recordings. All files have been scanned.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users