• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Problem with Junction Signal linkage Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Docmartin 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 25 May 2022 - 12:08 PM

I have an interesting problem with a set of junction signals in my Chiltern route. The signals are the following:
Attached File  Signals.jpg (83.7K)
Number of downloads: 10

As you can see, they consist of Left Arm - Main + Distant - Right Arm and, below the Right Arm, a Siding signal.

The junction signals proper are one model, named UQGantry_Left_MainHomeDistant_Right.s. The Siding signal is a separate model, SRLnk-Siding.s, which as its name suggests is a linked signal.

The following pictures from TrackViewer explain how I have tried to link the signals. The relevant track sections are highlighted in red.

This picture shows the location of the signals.
Attached File  Signal.jpg (28.15K)
Number of downloads: 7

This is the linkage for the Left Arm.
Attached File  Left Arm.jpg (25.1K)
Number of downloads: 8

This is the linkage for the Main + Distant Arms.
Attached File  Main Arm.jpg (26.5K)
Number of downloads: 2

This is the linkage for the Right Arm
Attached File  Right Arm.jpg (25.71K)
Number of downloads: 2

This is the separate linkage for the Signal Arm.
Attached File  Siding.jpg (32.83K)
Number of downloads: 1

The problem is that these linkages work properly only for the Signal Arm. For paths controlled by the other signals, the relevant signal remains on as the train passes the gantry (without generating a SPAD) and as the train encounters the tdb item (i.e. the red pyramid on the tracks) the relevant signal pulls off briefly and almost immediately falls back to the on position. The Siding signal pulls off correctly but at the same time the Right Arm displays the behaviour just described, i.e. it pulls off very briefly and immediately reverts to the on position.

I have tried placing the sigcfg.dat and sigscr.dat files in an OpenRails folder in the root directory and changing all the SignalNumClearAhead settings to 4 but this has made no difference.

Perhaps what I am trying to do is not possible given the location of the crossover immediately after the signal gantry.

I should appreciate it greatly if there is someone more knowledgable than me who can suggest a solution.

Martin

#2 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 26 May 2022 - 01:36 AM

Hi Martin, I confess I don`t fully understand. Is the signal located top right of the diagram?.
However, I think you can not use 2 signals in series as the red .tdb pyramids seem to show. The siding signal should be incorporated into a single signal with 5 heads, with its own script. I could make asignal shape if needed.
On the opposite line in the pic I can see another 2 pyramids in series. Please be careful with this arrangement. It may partly work, but in some situations a legitimate traffic move will be impossible
Rick

#3 User is offline   Docmartin 

• Fireman

Posted 26 May 2022 - 04:48 AM

Hi Rick,

Yes, the signal in question is at top right located on the stretch of track highlighted in red. I very much appreciate your offer but how hard would it be for you to make the signal shape?

Martin

#4 User is offline   Docmartin 

• Fireman

Posted 26 May 2022 - 05:33 AM

Hi Rick,

You are absolutely right! As an experiment, I removed the siding signal, the placement of which in the series preceded that of the junction signals, and, as you suggested, it proved to be "blocking" the functioning of the junction signals. Without the siding signal the junction signals work exactly as intended.

Many thanks for solving my problem.

Martin

#5 User is offline   rickloader 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 26 May 2022 - 07:10 AM

I`m glad you fixed it. It would not be difficult to make the signal shape. If you want a basic signal I can make it in 3dc. If you would like moving balance arms I would need to dig out TSM, because the 3dc exporter does not preserve signal sub objects . The hard part is making the scripts.
email me pls to discuss
A plea to fellow route builders / rolling stock modelers. Think twice about work arounds if they might break OR functions. Instead corner an OR dev!
Not getting at you Martin, but I once wanted to make a Timetable for the charming Lyme Regis branch route. Signalling work arounds in the route made any timetable impossible.
Rick

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users