• You cannot reply to this topic

No wheelslip probs in Autopilot mode OTRS Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Niknak 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:OR NewYear MG

Posted 24 May 2022 - 07:39 AM

View PostPerryPlatypus, on 24 May 2022 - 07:26 AM, said:

I don't think I've seen anyone mention it specifically in this way, so here goes:

You are most likely experiencing severe slippage issues due to low frame rates on your machine. In the vast majority of cases where people struggle with adhesion on Mullan, that's the reason. If you're getting less than about 20 to 25 FPS, it becomes almost unavoidable. This is because, for reasons beyond my comprehension, the coding of the Advanced Adhesion model has been heavily linked to frame rates. Until some physics guru in the OR development team can reinvent the adhesion model to no longer be so dependent on frame rates, this is going to keep happening to users on low end machines and/or on resource-heavy routes unfortunately...

Yes I had this exact problem on Mullan last year when using my laptop with 1GB graphics. Once I'd lowered all the settings and turned off shadows etc all was well.

#22 User is offline   cesarbl 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 24 May 2022 - 07:53 AM

I don't think I've seen anyone mention it specifically in this way, so here goes:

You are most likely experiencing severe slippage issues due to low frame rates on your machine. In the vast majority of cases where people struggle with adhesion on Mullan, that's the reason. If you're getting less than about 20 to 25 FPS, it becomes almost unavoidable. This is because, for reasons beyond my comprehension, the coding of the Advanced Adhesion model has been heavily linked to frame rates. Until some physics guru in the OR development team can reinvent the adhesion model to no longer be so dependent on frame rates, this is going to keep happening to users on low end machines and/or on resource-heavy routes unfortunately...

Yes, frame rates are critical for the adhesion model. You could try the Unstable version, which includes some modifications to adhesion code. The benefit will probably not be very high, but there's some improvement at low FPS. I have in mind a "simplified" version of the model which is not time-critical, but it needs some testing.

And as has been mentioned before, what we *really* need is someone who is capable of programming proper AC traction physics, controlled "wheel creep" technology, realistic automatic sanding and re-adhesion, etc. (OR's current "Antislip" variable that physically moves the throttle position down when slippage occurs, but does not gradually throttle back up afterward is a far cry from anything I've ever seen used on modern real world locomotives)

I'm now working in a simple AC motor model that provides wheel speed control, but I haven't finished it yet. Initial results are promising, achieving a good slip control. This is not yet available in Unstable releases.

#23 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 24 May 2022 - 02:36 PM

>I'm now working in a simple AC motor model that provides wheel speed control, but I haven't finished it yet. Initial results are promising, achieving a good slip control. This is not yet available in Unstable releases

I am waiting for this one at last.

I would be very happy to test for you.

#24 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 24 May 2022 - 04:10 PM

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/hi.gifThank you, Cesar --- appreciate your time and effort...volunteer to test, if I can meet your requirements.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users