Elvas Tower: Diesel Mechanical Locomotive - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Diesel Mechanical Locomotive Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#11 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 13 February 2022 - 10:13 AM

GearBoxOperation( Manual ) is the only one that has been updated by Peter. GearBoxOperation( Automatic ) continues to support legacy MSTS eng files that use that parameter, but nothing new has been added for ORTS.

#12 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 13 February 2022 - 10:53 AM

darwins, on 13 February 2022 - 12:58 AM, said:

I am pleased to say though, that British horses were stronger than French and German horses.

Britain (and USA) - horsepower hp = 0.7457 kW

France - cheval vapeur cv and Germany - pferdestarke ps = 0.7355 kW

We recently had a request (from Frank Stendel) for German Horsepower and also Atmosphären-Überdruck (atü).

Given Open Rails approach to units, they should be easy to include.

#13 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 13 February 2022 - 12:52 PM

Weter, on 13 February 2022 - 10:32 AM, said:

Thank, Darwin.
It will be added in description.

Can be it direct-manual, or pre-selector only?

For the moment they are both the same in Open Rails. I am not sure if there will be any need to worry about the difference.

#14 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 13 February 2022 - 12:56 PM

https://kephost.net/p/2022/06/7261_187d623be37d.png

Hello.

There is something wrong with the calculations here. If the Throttle is 50%, the engine speed should be 1000Rpm. All the more so because in such old locomotives, a simple rod or bowden wire connected the controller to the diesel engine feeder.
If I count 1500Rpm instead of the maximum speed of 1350Rpm then if Throttle is 50%, the speed should be 1063.
How will this become 1402Rpm?

Sincerely, Laci1959

#15 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 13 February 2022 - 02:17 PM

With mechanical transmission you can not have an rpm governor like you have in a diesel electric. You have to use an engine like a bus or truck engine that has only an idle and overspeed governor.
The throttle works on a simple principle of controlling the admission of fuel to the engine. More fuel produces more power and torque. The speed of the engine depends on the load. So if the load is light the speed will continue to increase. If the load is heavy then the acceleration is slower and the maximum rpm achieved is less.

The train, bus or truck should be able to accelerate to the maximum speed in any gear with less than full throttle as shown in diagrams like the one on this web page:

Torque Curves

(In the motor car you do not need to push the accelerator all the way to the floor before you can change up a gear.)

I have attached some papers I used to try to help Peter design the ORTS model for the admission control throttle.

Attached File(s)

#16 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 13 February 2022 - 07:08 PM

darwins, on 13 February 2022 - 10:13 AM, said:

GearBoxOperation( Manual ) is the only one that has been updated by Peter. GearBoxOperation( Automatic ) continues to support legacy MSTS eng files that use that parameter, but nothing new has been added for ORTS.

Existing MSTS or Legacy configurations with GearBoxOperation( Manual ) will continue to use legacy code. To use the new functionality, ORTSDieselTransmissionType ( Mechanic ) needs to be included in the ENG file.

cjakeman, on 13 February 2022 - 10:53 AM, said:

We recently had a request (from Frank Stendel) for German Horsepower and also Atmosphären-Überdruck (atü).

Given Open Rails approach to units, they should be easy to include.

Is this for input of parameters only, or also for display in the HuD? AT the moment as far as I am aware we only display in metric, imperial uk, and imperial us.

#17 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 13 February 2022 - 07:19 PM

Weter, on 13 February 2022 - 12:21 AM, said:

There was mentioned parameter GearBoxOperation( Manual ), but without listing of possible variants. Which are available now?

This is an existing MSTS parameter so it will be the same as for MSTS. I am not sure how much of the MSTS functionality works in OR.

#18 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 14 February 2022 - 12:23 AM

You have to use an engine like a bus or truck engine that has only an idle and overspeed governor.

I guess because of the video of the GANZ motor car.

darwins, on 13 February 2022 - 02:17 PM, said:

The throttle works on a simple principle of controlling the admission of fuel to the engine. More fuel produces more power and torque. The speed of the engine depends on the load. So if the load is light the speed will continue to increase. If the load is heavy then the acceleration is slower and the maximum rpm achieved is less.

I was a little scared to exceed the spectacular speed.
I will set ORTSDieselEngineGovernorRpM to max speed (1350Rpm). The GANZ description gives 1000Rpm the speed available in each gear, so I will set the DieselEngineMaxRPM to 1000Rpm.
The description defines the speed to be achieved on a given incline with 1 trailer. I'll see what I get with it.

#19 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 14 February 2022 - 01:07 AM

ORTSDieselEngineGovenorRpM ( ) sets the "red-line" speed, the engine should shut down if this rpm is ever exceeded. If your engine has DieselEngineMaxRPM ( 1000 ). Then I think that it would probably have ORTSDieselEngineGovenorRpM ( 1100 ) about 10% above max rpm.

#20 User is offline   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 14 February 2022 - 01:36 AM

Basically, my problem is that if DieselEngineMaxRPM (1350), ORTSDieselEngineGovernorRpM (1500), it spins at 1400 rpm at 50 percent throttle. True only machine travel and horizontal terrain, but it's kind of really weird. If you did it at 100 percent throttle, maybe it would be a different situation. Then I'll try to load the motor car with 2, 3 cars. Then how do you keep driving time.
If " ORTSGearBoxType (B) " is ORTSMainClutchType (Friction) then I don't think you should switch. On the one hand because the gears are tensioned, on the other hand I think there is a mechanical latch that does not allow shifting. Protects the transmission from crashes. Using the freewheel [ORTSGearBoxFreeWheel (1)] also requires full throttle.
The GANZ transmission works in two steps, almost like a manual car transmission for a person. There is a zero position between two consecutive gears.
Is this possible?

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users