Elvas Tower: EOT - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EOT Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 18 January 2022 - 01:00 AM

This indeed is a needed key an the suggestions are good. I always deal with EOT good an bad an arming them are easy but some can transmit with a delay of communication both arming an transmitting BP readings.

But my suggestion to make it simple for existing EOT an new to come is add a simple Parameter to ENG/WAG EOTD lines that ORTS can read in a con or lose consists to tell a difference in the F9 window what type of wag/eng. Suggestion is

1. Why not code something that allows users to physically jump the qualified EOT or marker to a position in the F9 as if it was your consist editor when parameter permits. Parameter type suggestion is so we may reduce having cheaters switching an jumping cars to new position without switching lol.

2. Have the EOTD visible or invisible option with a simple click like as if it was activating deactivating an animation.

Reason why I think ENG an WAG capabilities for EOTD is because some newer EOT devices help apply the trainline BP when air is set so air doesn't always travel in a domino effect way starting from controlling headend just like DPU's can do if enabled by the engineer so EOT as ENG file instead of typical WAG. But we have not gotten into that section yet for DPU yet helping with air applications an releases.

#12 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 18 January 2022 - 08:02 AM

The big issue with the EOT in MSTS/OR is that it is a "wagon" with its own couplers and bounding boxes. Recently, I was running an activity with an older consist and every time that I would make a brake application, I was getting a wheel kid warning on one "wagon." Yep, the EOT. However the EOT issue is finally addressed in OR, the EOT should not be treated as a wagon by the sim!

#13 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 19 January 2022 - 10:00 AM

I'm now sharing here the state-of-the-art. I have developed a first version of the EOT operation and of the in-cab interactions.
After this I'll try to find a solution on how to manage the visual presence (and absence) of the EOT at the end of the train.
I have again used the excellent Borislav's SVTX GE ES44AC cabs as starting point. I have added in a rough way what was needed to perform the tests, so the shown layout is not at all an officially publishable solution. I'm showing the operation with the help of a bunch of screenshots (click to enlarge).

At game start, the EOT is not linked to the loco; therefore the "Rear" field doesn't show the brake pipe pressure at the last car; "Marker" is set to "Off" and "EM" to "Disabled". It is supposed that the number of the EOT has been already entered (as already said, this number changes at every train run, but is saved on saves and restores).
Attached Image: EOT1.jpg
After pressign button F2 below the soft button "EOT"...

the EOT setup screen page appears. As can be seen, the Connection Test field shows "Failed" and the EOT status field is "Disarmed".
Attached Image: EOT2.jpg
After pressing button F5 below soft button "Comm Test"....

following screen page appears. In the F5 HUD now a line shows that the Communications Test is running (I'm supposing it requires 5 seconds).
Attached Image: EOT3.jpg

After these 5 seconds the Connection Test field shows "Passed" and the EOT status shows "One Way". in the "Rear" field the brake pipe pressure at the last car appears.
The F5 shows "LocalTestOn": a crew member is on earth near the EOT and tests it. I have inserted a timeout of 25 seconds here. It is likely to be smaller than in reality, but I don't like have the player waiting minutes here.
Attached Image: EOT3a.jpg

After the 25 seconds the EOT status shows "Arm Now". The EOT is ready to be armed two-way.
Attached Image: EOT4.jpg
After pressing button F7 below soft button "Arm Two-Way...

following screen page appears. The EOT status shows now "Armed"
If we pressed now button F6 below soft button "Disarm" we would return to the start of the EOT setup.
Attached Image: EOT5.jpg
We instead press button F8 below soft button "Exit" and return so to the main screen page.

Now the marker shows the "On" state and the EM field shows "Enabled".
Attached Image: EOT6.jpg

Now the EOT is fully functional and we may e.g. command it to perform an emergency brake by opening the brake pipe at the last car. The cab doesn't show the lever to perform it, so in order to test I added a switch at the left of the cab (the one with the orange rectangle below). If I click on it you can see on the F5 window that the BP pressure drops practially istantaneously (this is what the OR physics shows when opening the rear angle coc of last car).
Attached Image: EOT7.jpg
If I now click on the switch again...

the pressure slowly rises again.
Attached Image: EOT8.jpg

As per specification, the EOT contributes to the emergency braking also when the train brake lever is moved up to the Emergency position
Attached Image: EOT9.jpg

... and also when the Emergency brake pushbutton is pressed
Attached Image: EOT10.jpg

#14 User is offline   Borislav 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 19 January 2022 - 10:39 AM

This is absolutely amazing! You are making huge progress here!

#15 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 19 January 2022 - 02:07 PM

No kidding this is great progress! I might even video the operation an setup of the real one tonight.

#16 User is online   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 19 January 2022 - 02:32 PM

E.O.T.
Attached Image: fred.JPG

F.R.E.D. Flickering Rear End Device.

Just kidding. Great work Carlos.

Randy

#17 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 20 January 2022 - 11:58 PM

I thank you all for the appraisal. Now, a suggestion of a download link for a suitable EOT (not a red flag or a simple flashing lamp) would be welcome.

#18 User is offline   darwins 

• Superintendant

Posted 21 January 2022 - 12:21 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 19 January 2022 - 10:00 AM, said:

I'm now sharing here the state-of-the-art. I have developed a first version of the EOT operation and of the in-cab interactions.
After this I'll try to find a solution on how to manage the visual presence (and absence) of the EOT at the end of the train.
I have again used the excellent Borislav's SVTX GE ES44AC cabs as starting point. I have added in a rough way what was needed to perform the tests, so the shown layout is not at all an officially publishable solution. I'm showing the operation with the help of a bunch of screenshots (click to enlarge).

At game start, the EOT is not linked to the loco; therefore the "Rear" field doesn't show the brake pipe pressure at the last car; "Marker" is set to "Off" and "EM" to "Disabled". It is supposed that the number of the EOT has been already entered (as already said, this number changes at every train run, but is saved on saves and restores).

After pressign button F2 below the soft button "EOT"...

the EOT setup screen page appears. As can be seen, the Connection Test field shows "Failed" and the EOT status field is "Disarmed".

After pressing button F5 below soft button "Comm Test"....

following screen page appears. In the F5 HUD now a line shows that the Communications Test is running (I'm supposing it requires 5 seconds).

After these 5 seconds the Connection Test field shows "Passed" and the EOT status shows "One Way". in the "Rear" field the brake pipe pressure at the last car appears.
The F5 shows "LocalTestOn": a crew member is on earth near the EOT and tests it. I have inserted a timeout of 25 seconds here. It is likely to be smaller than in reality, but I don't like have the player waiting minutes here.
Attachment EOT3a.jpg

After the 25 seconds the EOT status shows "Arm Now". The EOT is ready to be armed two-way.
Attachment EOT4.jpg
After pressing button F7 below soft button "Arm Two-Way...

following screen page appears. The EOT status shows now "Armed"
If we pressed now button F6 below soft button "Disarm" we would return to the start of the EOT setup.
Attachment EOT5.jpg
We instead press button F8 below soft button "Exit" and return so to the main screen page.

Now the marker shows the "On" state and the EM field shows "Enabled".

Now the EOT is fully functional and we may e.g. command it to perform an emergency brake by opening the brake pipe at the last car. The cab doesn't show the lever to perform it, so in order to test I added a switch at the left of the cab (the one with the orange rectangle below). If I click on it you can see on the F5 window that the BP pressure drops practially istantaneously (this is what the OR physics shows when opening the rear angle coc of last car).

If I now click on the switch again...

the pressure slowly rises again.

As per specification, the EOT contributes to the emergency braking also when the train brake lever is moved up to the Emergency position

... and also when the Emergency brake pushbutton is pressed

This is interesting. In UK we do not have "emergency braking" from EoT, but we do have some trains that have both service and emergency braking from both ends of the train. These include the HST sets (with a power car at both ends), Inter City 225 push pull sets and push pull trains with a Class 90 electric loco at one end and Mk III DVT at the other. These use the Davies & Metcalfe E70 or Westinghouse ‘Westcode’ DW1, DW2 or DW3 brake systems. Although the intermediate vehicles are not 'EP' braked, the EP signals from the drivers' brake valve at the front of the train are used to operate the drivers' brake valve at the rear of the train, thus initiating brake application from both ends of the train at the same time. Could this sort of model be used to simulate this kind of braking? (Or would that need to be done differently?)

#19 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer

Posted 21 January 2022 - 06:52 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 20 January 2022 - 11:58 PM, said:

I thank you all for the appraisal. Now, a suggestion of a download link for a suitable EOT (not a red flag or a simple flashing lamp) would be welcome.

Admin Apologies...railguy I accidentally hit edit/delete on your post and removed your comments ....please accept my apologies...not quite awake yet, this morning.
Please repost if you can. R H Steele http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_sorry.gifhttp://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_oops.gif

#20 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 21 January 2022 - 08:55 AM

Here's Tiger Trains EOT --- free to members. Red Light blinks, I think Ian has made some improvements, and has different models.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: FRED.jpg

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users