Elvas Tower: EOT - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EOT Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   william madona 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:Opem Rails

Posted 24 January 2022 - 07:45 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 22 January 2022 - 02:23 AM, said:

The first phase of EOT management is available in ORNYMG 115, as described in the first post of this thread and also here http://www.elvastowe...post__p__281011 .
Note that at the moment the EOT does not visually appear and disappear at the end of the train. The EOT is "virtual" as of now.

Attached is a patch that enables to test what has been developed up to now. The demo is again based on Borislav's ES44 cabs, version 3.1, and his SVTX_ES44AC_1912.eng engine, included in Trainsim's svtxes44acset.zip .
Installation is the same as for the pack described here http://www.elvastowe...post__p__280173 .

The attached pack here runs under ORNYMG 115 and includes also the DP features. It can be installed over the DPdemo pack.

This is a rough demo. It does not want at all be a final version of the cab, which is something which pertains to Borislav, if he wants to.

Attachment DP-EOTdemo_V31.zip

Good Morning. I downloaded this EOT test patch you posted, but the EOT settings as described don't show up for me, only DP. Did I do something wrong? I downloaded the loco and the cabs update on trainsim, after I installed your patch!

#32 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 24 January 2022 - 07:53 PM

Did you download ORNYMG MG version 115.2 ?

#33 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 25 January 2022 - 02:17 AM

This topic has motivated me indeed an looking forward to building a pack of variables.
Enjoyed starting this on my off day from working Gemco locals an a break from arming an pushing the EOT button I decided take pics an build.
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/272735819_4703738249733762_6695330802826827740_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=OCCec1QNgpkAX_7Juoi&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=00_AT_HquBtwuXijNsrEtMGzuDBzZEEOcwlIqcxjhXC7AwcJw&oe=61F4DDC2
https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/272447335_4703738739733713_8651678103270057175_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=dbS6RNcjcP0AX831RtI&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.xx&oh=00_AT9ud2vji7Uqs4VpMnTmlEzw4vP9gA-rgG4-_lq9jSq7Vg&oe=61F40C4B

Yes its not finished but is progress needing variable of attach hoses to variable existing stocks as one thing that annoys me is stocks that have the air hoses detached like they in hump yards no air.

#34 User is offline   LOP82 

• Apprentice
  • Pip
  • Group: Status: Fired
  • Simulator:MSTS and ORTS

Posted 28 January 2022 - 05:01 PM

This is very cool! Thank you. I will continue to watch this thread with particular interest.

#35 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 30 January 2022 - 01:27 PM

I'm showing here the progress since http://www.elvastowe...post__p__281011 , again using some screenshots.

In the initial situation the player train has no EOT. In fact, no EOT info is shown in the F5 window, and the EOT ID is zero in the cab display. Of course the rear value of the brake pipe pressure is not shown in the cab display.
Attached Image: EOT2_1.jpg

In fact, looking at the rear of the train with camera 3, no EOT is seen. Pressing Ctrl+F9, the EOT list is shown. For every EOT the filename and the folder name are shown. The Category (one way, two way, simple flag or light) is not yet managed. To avoid changing how EOTs are implemented now, EOTs are managed as .wag files, residing in directories that in turn reside in a ORTS_EOT directory within TRAINS.
Attached Image: EOT2_2.jpg

By mouse clicking on the desired EOT in the EOT list, the clicked item gets coloured in red and the EOT is attached at the end of the train. In the F5 window a line about the EOT, in Disarmed state, appears.
Attached Image: EOT2_3.jpg

The EOT (supposing it is a two-way EOT, like in this case) must be correctly connected to the train brake pipe, by connecting the pipe hose and by opening the rear angle cock of the preceding wagon. This must be done using the Car Operations Window. At the end, the EOT gets the train brake pipe pressure.
Attached Image: EOT2_4.jpg

Entering the cab, the EOT ID appears, but the Rear brake pipe pressure is still not present.
Attached Image: EOT2_5.jpg

Now, using the procedure described here http://www.elvastowe...post__p__281011 , the EOT can be armed two way and the Rear brake pipe pressure is shown on the cab display. Marker is shown in the ON state, and EM is enabled. The train can be started, if needed using the DPU feature.
Attached Image: EOT2_6.jpg

After few time, all loco consists are moved to front while the train is accelerating
Attached Image: EOT2_7.jpg

Later on the run, we must make a cut on the train. The train is stopped and the EOT is disarmed by soft key command. The rear brake pipe pressure indication disappears
Attached Image: EOT2_8.jpg

With camera 3, the EOT is physically still there
Attached Image: EOT2_9.jpg

Now we first close the rear angle cock of the preceding wagon, disconnect the EOT from the train brake hose (done with the Car Operations Window), and then we click on the red item in the EOT List window: the EOT is physically removed, The item in the list becomes white, and the EOT indication disappears from the F5 window.Attached Image: EOT2_10.jpg

Now we cut the train, not before having arranged brake hoses and angle cocks.
Attached Image: EOT2_11.jpg

We can now attach an EOT at the new end of the train, using the same procedure.
Attached Image: EOT2_12.jpg

Entering the cab, the new EOT ID is shown.
Attached Image: EOT2_13.jpg

And so on...

I am also considering providing EOTs to AI trains, by adding an item with a specific syntax at the end of the .con file. It might e.g. have an ORTS_EOT identification, instead of the Wagon or Engine one.

What I have shown here is not ready for publication. There are remaining problems with brakes, that I must investigate.
Moreover the code architecture is very rough and must be substantially cleaned up.

Blueprint https://blueprints.l...et/or/+spec/eot .

#36 User is offline   slipperman 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:MSTS & ORTS

Posted 30 January 2022 - 02:45 PM

Hi Carlo,
This looks most interesting, and I do understand that it's only a demonstration of how you envisage an EOT working.

Currently, when it's desired to add an EOT (or, even, a loco headboard) to a consist, it's usually by using an 'invisi-wag'. This is a very short wagon which causes 'shaking' when the camera views 2 or 3 are focussed on it. As you say your EOT is based on a .wag file, albeit in a different folder, won't it have the same effect? Knowing you, you probably have some 'magic' you apply to prevent that problem :)

Cheers,
Ged

#37 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 30 January 2022 - 04:18 PM

Ged brings up a good point...in previous threads about OR coding EOT/FRED devices, it was mentioned that they should not be wag files at all, no brakes, couplers required, just a shape and texture, with lighting and sound. A specialized file.

#38 User is offline   ErickC 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 30 January 2022 - 06:34 PM

I suspect the file being used isn't a WAG file as such and just uses the same extension and format but contains only the necessary parameters, but not having any real "wagon" data.

If this is the case, then a file format like ".EOT" could be introduced which would basically have the same format as an ENG of WAG file. I like where this is going - for "dumb" EOTs, we could even use flag shapes! Hopefully we can specify sound for the EOT since they do make a subtle turbine noise.

#39 User is online   Laci1959 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:Alföld

Posted 31 January 2022 - 02:13 AM

Helló.

Currently, when it's desired to add an EOT (or, even, a loco headboard) to a consist, it's usually by using an 'invisi-wag'.

This is currently solved using the ORTSFreightAnims block. Of course, this also has its drawbacks, because you need two eng, wag files.

I really like the work done so far. We look forward to continuing because it will be much simpler in some ways. Although there is only static EOT on freight trains in Europe, it will still be a very good thing.
Especially if it is automatically added to the last car of the AI trains. The con file may not be the solution because TimeTable allows for rather complex reversal movements. Of course, if there is no other solution, we will live with it.

Sincerely, Laci1959

#40 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 31 January 2022 - 03:22 AM

One of the reasons I wanted to publish the above screenshots was to get feedbacks to understand if I am moving towards the desired direction and to correct and to add what might be useful.
The replies I got provided to me very useful feedback.
About the shaking: after Ged's and Gerry's post I added a little "magic", as he says, and simply disabled vibration on the car to which the EOT is attached. This was simple, it works well, and I don't think it is a big drawback if the last car does not oscillate.

ErickC is correct in saying that I'm using a stripped-down .wag file, to which I'll add EOT-specific data (at the moment such data are in a separate file). Such .wag is brought to life when the EOT is attached at the end of train, and is destroyed when the EOT is removed. About changing its extension to .eot, I am uncertain about what is better, and will take a decision later.

About Laci's remark referring to AI trains, the code already ands and removes "logical" EOTs at the end of AI consists when needed (before and after coupling and so on).
About the visible EOT there is an open problem. While removing the visible EOT is not a problem, the problem by adding it is: what physical EOT should be automatically chosen? This is the reason why I thought to add the EOT to be added at the end of the .con file. That EOT could be then be used for all consists that are modified during the game, maybe distinguishing the case of freight and passenger trains.

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users