• You cannot reply to this topic

Display question Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 December 2021 - 11:15 AM

Why do we see such angles on each side on these screenshots? This one happens to be from TSRE but the same is true of OR. The wider the screen the worse the distortion. It's like the center of the earth is a few hundred meters underground. Very strange. Is there any way to minimize this?

Attached Image: display distortion.jpg

and yet when you look horizontally everything,. edge to edge, is properly vertical. Why?
Attached Image: display distortion 2.jpg

#2 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 28 December 2021 - 11:51 AM

Forced perspective.

Paul :-)

#3 User is offline   SVRy_Steve 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 28 December 2021 - 11:54 AM

Being a somewhat old school photographer, I see this as normal. If a camera, especially with a wide angle lens isn't dead horizontal, this is what happens. Large format view cameras with movable front and back, could, by raising the front, eliminate the "falling over building" effect of a camera pointed somewhat up. You could actually keep the camera level and move the lens upward. The lens would project a much larger image circle than what was normally used from the center of the image, making this possible. A common thing in architectural photography.

#4 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 December 2021 - 12:33 PM

I understand the perspective issue when you are above something and looking down on it... the taller the object you are viewing the greater the effect, especially if you are fairly close to it.. But why does it occur so severely on the sides of these images? It looks very unnatural.

#5 User is offline   SVRy_Steve 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 28 December 2021 - 01:46 PM

The edges stretched/distorted is a normal thing with wide angle lenses. Projecting a 3d world onto a flat plane, think of a pinhole with light coming through. It will form an upside down image on a white paper. Looking how the light projects on a flat plane, you will see the same stretching, especially at the corners, which are farthest and at the most angle to the center. A wide angle is liking having the paper that the image is on, very close to the pinhole.

I hope I explained in a way that makes sense!

Oh, almost forgot... The way to mostly eliminate it is to use a narrower angle of view and get back farther. I don't remember if you can set the viewing angle in TSRE.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users