• You cannot reply to this topic

Share your winter shots Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Paul B 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 27 December 2021 - 09:33 AM

Hi all;

Since it's that time of the year (In Northern hemisphere) please share your winter shots.

Here are a few from around the world in ORTS...

Attached Image: Winter4.jpg
Ontario, Canada, 1995: CN Train 218 passes Tionaga siding on the Ruel Sub. This shot is taken from my Timetable for this route available over in the TrainSim file library.

Attached Image: Winter6.jpg
Czechoslovakia, Early 1970s: Steam escapes from heating hoses and injectors on this local train headed by a 464.0 class locomotive. The last of this type were withdrawn in the early 1980s.

Attached Image: Winter1.jpg
Montana, USA, Present Day: MRL's sole GP40 #500 switches propane tanks at a customer's spur in Helena.

Attached Image: Winter5.jpg
Clacton-on-Sea, England, 1991: Just before daybreak a veteran class 309 EMU waits for departure with the first train of the day to London Liverpool Street. The 'Wrong Kind of Snow' is set to cause problems across BR today.

Regards;

-Paul

#2 User is offline   Peter M. 

• Apprentice

Posted 27 December 2021 - 07:14 PM

Weter, on 27 December 2021 - 04:26 PM, said:

Well-done images, thanks.
May I know the Canadian route's name: I like its trees in winter gamma especially.

That looks like TrainSimulations' Ruel Subdivision route, available for purchase here: https://www.trainsimulations.net/ruel

The route has the some of the best forest/tree textures that I've seen in OR - well worth the money.

Peter M

#3 User is offline   Coonskin 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 28 December 2021 - 02:39 PM

"Snowing At Ouray"...

Attached Image: SnowingAtOuray1.jpg

#4 User is offline   Jonatan 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS and Vehicle Simulator

Posted 28 December 2021 - 05:05 PM

Great shot, Andre. Very imposing scene. I sorely miss the full on blizzards that MSTS could perform, you even captured the effect of snowflakes hitting the "lens".

An old glass plate I found in a dusty drawer somewhere, date is unknown:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/331817060361437184/923212740535918622/Open_Rails_2021-12-22_02-44-55.png

#5 User is online   natlam 

• Hostler

Posted 29 December 2021 - 02:51 AM

Hello,

Picture of the Federseebahn in Germany

Attached Image: Open Rails 2021-12-29 11-42-03.jpg

Have a nice day
Nathalie

#6 User is offline   damo 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 29 December 2021 - 02:52 PM

Dvoukolejka

Attached Image: Djouk.jpg

#7 User is offline   Coonskin 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 29 December 2021 - 04:24 PM

An old glass plate I found in a dusty drawer somewhere, date is unknown:

And a nice one it is! Great "find". You never know what lurks in old dusty trunks! :derisive:

Jonatan, on 28 December 2021 - 05:05 PM, said:

Great shot, Andre. Very imposing scene. I sorely miss the full on blizzards that MSTS could perform, you even captured the effect of snowflakes hitting the "lens".

Thanks Jonatan.

As you correctly surmise, that's the old dinosaur MSTS that so many rail against. The precipitation only filling half the screen is a complete deal-breaker for me concerning OR. I guess that means I'm a bit more "artsy fartsy" than I realize, for I just love the "mood" in-sim in MSTS when it's snowing (especially with the "heavy snow" option) and just can't give it up.

BTW, in the above scene, if you look closely on the background mountain, you can see the Colorado & San Juan's right of way angling across its face as the little line struggles to makes its way up to the divide at Red Mountain Pass (also called "Sheridan Pass").

The route:

Is complete and functional between the towns of Ouray and Silverton. (Right at 35 miles.) I included enough track north of Ouray and south of Silverton to accommodate AI traffic. "Phase 1" scenery is place on that portion of the route. There's also some custom built structures for it installed.

When I mothballed the route, I was in the process of proto-lancing the C&SJ over to Lake City. (A line from Silverton to Lake City was proposed and a map created for same, so there's precedent as far as I'm concerned!)

However, here a couple months ago, a never seen before (my eyes) map of the prototype Ouray appeared. "My" Ouray wasn't close enough to suit me, so I pulled the route of the mothballs and started reworking Ouray to better reflect the prototype. My oompah fizzled out on me, and I have yet to finish the rework of Ouray.

For gits n' shiggles, here's another snow pic from my C&SJ, this time a Christmas card I shared a few years ago:

Attached Image: Cmas19.jpg

#8 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 29 December 2021 - 06:46 PM

I don't often post screenshots, but winter running is my favorite way to run OR, especially at night. Northwest Route V6 is a super route for such running, so, herewith, are some screenshots from it. Lots of action tonight between the CN and CP mainlines. The CP Holiday Train is also featured, tied down for the night while the freight trains keep on running.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Open Rails 2021-12-29 02-41-44.jpg
  • Attached Image: Open Rails 2021-12-29 02-53-56.jpg
  • Attached Image: Open Rails 2021-12-29 07-57-49.jpg
  • Attached Image: Open Rails 2021-12-29 08-06-10.jpg
  • Attached Image: Open Rails 2021-12-29 08-25-22.jpg
  • Attached Image: Open Rails 2021-12-29 08-26-06.jpg

#9 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 05 January 2022 - 06:47 AM

Some night screenshots from another of Rory's great routes--Blackfoot 3. This shot is looking southerly toward the Husky Upgrader oil facility east of Lloydminster, Saskatchewan. Rory worked very diligently to make these facilities replicate the prototypes as best as possible. If you have ever been around such a facility at night, it looks quite a bit like this. Very realistic. When I snapped this screenshot, I was running an activity in weather randomization mode and caught the clouds thickening for an approaching snowstorm. It started snowing a just west of Lloydminster, visible in the last screenshot.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Open Rails 2022-01-04 04-50-14.jpg
  • Attached Image: Open Rails 2022-01-04 04-50-45.jpg
  • Attached Image: Open Rails 2022-01-04 04-59-01.jpg

#10 User is offline   charland 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 05 January 2022 - 09:08 AM

Central Vermont Extra 707 South, White River Junction Vermont, Conn River Route.
https://images2.imgbox.com/13/c1/AsI6JWhS_o.jpg

Paul :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users