• You cannot reply to this topic

British Rail HST Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Paul B 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 25 December 2021 - 07:56 AM

Hi all;

I've been lurking here for a while. I'm mainly a physics guy but dabble with textures, activities and timetabling now and again. Even done a bit of 3D work in the past. I run OR content from around the world. Anyway here's some shots of the classic British Rail High Speed Train (HST) in the Edinburgh area circa 1989. The physics are my own work, fully modular based on include files. The Smoke texture is my own work too. The train was made by the now defunct UK payware vendor 'Making Tracks'. Much of their rolling stock, including the HST seen here, is now available as freeware. The route is the 'Scottish Capital Express' also by Making Tracks but unfortunately their routes are no longer available.

Attached Image: HST1.jpg
Rolling into Edinburgh Waverley.

Attached Image: HST2.jpg
Waiting at Waverley. This train is bound for Glasgow Queen Street.

Attached Image: HST3.jpg
Our train gets underway again from Waverley. Historic buildings on Market Street overlook.

Attached Image: HST4.jpg
Heading through Princes Street Gardens towards Haymarket Tunnel.

Attached Image: HST5.jpg
With a green signal our train makes a characteristically smoky departure from Haymarket

Attached Image: HST6.jpg
With Valenta engines spooling up to full power, our train is accelerating away from Haymarket. The depot is on the left and Edinburgh Castle overlooks in the distance.

Season's Greetings;

-Paul

#2 User is offline   QJ-6811 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:MSTS / Open Rails

Posted 26 December 2021 - 02:10 AM

Hi Paul,

Beautiful pictures! I also like the "dirty" look.
Good memory of Edinburgh and also in 'the old days' the HST Class43, fantastic sound and high speed, great! :)
Triggered me to look for it and found it, enjoy it later!

Season's Greetings;
- Roger

#3 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 26 December 2021 - 02:53 AM

Weter, on 25 December 2021 - 09:44 AM, said:

Very nice.
A piece of Edinburg-Glasgow route is available as demo model at OR.org site?
It would be interesting to see that trip from a cab.

You are right, by permission of Dave Babb of Making Tracks - visit http://openrails.org/download/content/

#4 User is offline   Paul B 

• Apprentice

Posted 26 December 2021 - 09:37 AM

Hello;

I'd totally forgotten about the demo version of the route available at the OR site!

Here are some cab shots as requested but going the other way...

Attached Image: HSTCab2.jpg
A Glasgow bound push/pull train with a Class 47/7 pushing on the rear accelerates away on our right as our train is approaching Haymarket barking for a red signal ahead. The stepped EP brakes found on these trains are fully implemented with the correct pressure drop and brake cylinder pressure in each step.

Attached Image: HSTCab3.jpg
In the cutting at Princes Street Gardens, the 'feather' (row of white lights) is lit with a green signal below showing we are crossing over onto the track to the far left. A rattly old DMU passes on the Down line.

Attached Image: HSTCab4.jpg
Approaching Edinburgh Waverley in the 'Up' (Towards London) direction.

Attached Image: HSTCab5.jpg
One last shot taken from above the East end of Edinburgh Waverley shows our train, this time in the original blue and grey livery, beginning its journey to London Kings Cross. The smoke is my own texture tailored using the advanced diesel model to reflect the bluish/grey smoke these trains used to emit.

Other features of the advanced physics applied to these trains include: Only the power cars having EP brakes, the coaches have regular distributors. The train is disc braked throughout, brake force has been adjusted to give realistic stopping distances. Published application and release times for brakes are used. Correct throttle/RPM response has been implemented. One power car is set to provide electric train supply and its engine will idle at a higher rate because of this. Lighting has been revised along with smoke effects and friction and weights set correctly. Still to do is to implement the master key, electric train supply etc. controlled by the player along with dynamic weight as fuel is consumed. These features were not available when I wrote the physics for these originally.

Regards;

-Paul

#5 User is offline   Paul B 

• Apprentice

Posted 26 December 2021 - 10:10 AM

Hello;

The flower-like display is part of the AWS (Automatic Warning System) and is nicknamed the 'Sunflower' by train crews. Full description can be found here: https://en.wikipedia..._Warning_System

There is a TCS scripted version of AWS available for ORTS (In the library here?) which is another thing I've been meaning to add to these trains. At the moment (Without the TCS scripts) the cab view just works as it did in MSTS, as an aspect display, you can see it is displaying yellow to warn of the adverse aspect ahead in the first picture.

Regards;

-Paul

#6 User is offline   keystoneaholic 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 26 December 2021 - 01:37 PM

Weter, on 26 December 2021 - 10:17 AM, said:

Thank you, I see. Your narration excited me.
As I've seen Deltic carbide video, there were ringing sounds, as the train passed green signals.

You get a bell for a green and a horn sound for anything else. If the horn sounds you have a specific time in which to acknowledge the warning (I'm not certain exactly how long), failure to do so results in a full emergency brake application.

#7 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 26 December 2021 - 01:48 PM

Well, except ringing, here is the same:
When the signal in front is changed to more restricting-there will be the same.
Same-at not signaled stretches-every 60 or 90 seconds.

I guess, it's ringing for crew to check, it's OK.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users